Lumia 1520 UK

DamianSL

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
Well, from all the reviews, and seeing the Lumia 1520 in the 02 shop.. I really want it. I currently have a Lumia 920, which I love, so naturally, I just want the next step up.
I am due an upgrade now, I'm currently with EE. My problem is that it is only available from Vodafone and 02, not even through phone outlets like Phones4u and Carphone Warehouse can I get it on any different networks. It is ridiculous. I can't switch networks and with Christmas I cannot buy this phone outright right now.

Pointless frustrating post I know... But does anybody know when this phone might release on other networks in the UK?

JeepBB

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
You can get a 1520 on EE from here now: Deals from EE on the Nokia Lumia 1520 There are two outlets selling it with a range of contract deals.

I'm not sure if P4U & CPWH are just doing a local restriction by only releasing on O2/Vodafone. I'm hoping they'll get their arses into gear before June (when my contract is done) or I'll simply buy from one of the linked sites.

Jcowley

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
For anybody interested in the Yellow Lumia 1520, I sent an email to Stephen Elop (as more of last-ditch attempt than anything) in an attempt to get more information. This is the response I received:

Hello Jonathan

Further to your note to Stephen I am contacting you to inform you that the Lumia 1520 was launched in December in the UK however in limited supply initially. I am confident that supply and channel coverage will improve during the next weeks. I have copied Simon Rayne (Sales Director) who can let you know where specifically to locate one.

Thank you for your interest and patience. I know you will be impressed with this device.

Happy New Year

Regards

Conor Pierce
VP Nokia UK & Ireland
conor.pierce@nokia.com

Simon Rayne is currently out of office but I'm hoping I should get a reply on Monday or Tuesday next week.

P.S. Sorry to Hijack this thread

DamianSL

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
Don't apologise, that is definitely interesting news. What was the main question(s) you put in your email?

buymobiles.net don't seem to be able to upgrade me, at least not online. I will try phone ASAP.

I just wish P4U and CW would hurry up and stock this phone!

6029KingStephen

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
I contacted Nokia UK on Twitter shortly before Christmas to tell them I wanted to buy a yellow 1520 and asked them when it would be available. They replied "unfortunately no news on that front at the moment..."

Hope they bring it here soon!

Jcowley

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Not for me yet, I was going to leave it until tomorrow to e-mail Simon Rayne again, don't want to constantly bug the guy about it :)

Jcowley

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Don't apologise, that is definitely interesting news. What was the main question(s) you put in your email?

buymobiles.net don't seem to be able to upgrade me, at least not online. I will try phone ASAP.

I just wish P4U and CW would hurry up and stock this phone!

Sorry Damian, I didn't see that you had asked me this question. Here is a copy of the email I sent to Stephen Elop.

Dear Mr. Elop,

I am sure that this is an extremely tiny issue compared to the hundreds of other emails you must receive per day, so I understand if I receive no response from this message.

I have contacted Nokia via Twitter and Facebook asking form more information about when the Nokia Lumia 1520 would be available in Yellow in the UK. Reasonably, they told me to contact my local retailers and find out more information from them.

All the retailers I have contacted have told me they are waiting on Nokia to give them more information about when the phones will be shipped to the UK. I then used the live chat on the Nokia website and got told that they could not help me and nobody in the company knew when the yellow 1520 would be available.

I am very eager to purchase this phone and would greatly appreciate a rough date/estimate as to when the phone will be available for purchase in the UK. I do not feel as though I am making an unreasonable request, I am simply asking to be told more then "be patient".

It really shouldn't be this hard to buy a product.

I've now sent a follow up e-mail to Simon Rayne to see what he says on the issue.

As far as I am aware, the cheapest deal at the moment is the O2 Refresh deal where you cancel the contract immediately and essentially end up with a sim free Red 1520 for ~?480, they will also unlock it for you no problem.

If you want a Black or White, buying it sim free and then going on giffgaff or similar seems like the best option.

If you want to be difficult like me and purchase a Yellow one, it would appear that all we can do is wait for now :(

wraypa1

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Sorry to pester JCowley, but i just wanted to check you haven't heard from Nokia (Simon Rayne). Sorry to nag i am just getting a bit fed up with them. i am tempted to get a white one and buy a yellow rear casing off ebay in the future when they are cheaper, or if i get really fed up i might even get a Gnote 3, well probably not. but i have been walking around with the worlds most terrible phone since my last phone broke in August waiting for this thing...

Jcowley

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Sorry to pester JCowley, but i just wanted to check you haven't heard from Nokia (Simon Rayne). Sorry to nag i am just getting a bit fed up with them. i am tempted to get a white one and buy a yellow rear casing off ebay in the future when they are cheaper, or if i get really fed up i might even get a Gnote 3, well probably not. but i have been walking around with the worlds most terrible phone since my last phone broke in August waiting for this thing...

Nope nothing yet :( About 30 minutes ago I sent an email to Conor Pierce letting him know that I had heard nothing from Simon. I'm also very tempted to buy the rear casing and do it myself or just buy an imported yellow one.

EDIT: SIMON RAYNE HAS REPLIED

This was his response:

Hello,

For some reason my response to you earlier this week hasn’t come through?

We have ranging of the 1520 in the UK in Carphone Warehouse, O2 and Vodafone plus Amazon also carries stock. I’m afraid at this stage only the Red and Black variants of the device are available as these are the choices of the customers themselves. We are working hard toward making the ranging of the Yellow variant.

Can I help you to secure a device via one of the above customers?

Regards
Simon

Consider my jimmies rustled.

Last edited:

wraypa1

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Ok thats it, not even a ballpark eta, or a reason eg manufacturing issues, its the same crap we got from everyone else. If there were any other phones i would even consider out now this might have persuaded me to buy them but there arent so i will probably get a white one... you suck nokia....

thx for posting update Jcowley. if you have any bright idea let us know.

6029KingStephen

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Just in case it helps anyone, sim-free yellow seems to be available from stock from cdiscount.com in France, with next day delivery to their Paris store. So with a ?69 day return on Eurostar, you get the phone and a day in Paris!

Jcowley

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Just in case it helps anyone, sim-free yellow seems to be available from stock from cdiscount.com in France, with next day delivery to their Paris store. So with a ?69 day return on Eurostar, you get the phone and a day in Paris!

The only problem with import it is that Nokia don't offer an international warranty, so you would have to send it to Nokia France if it developed a fault

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
nokias warranty in Europe is just that .... European warranty ....... soi if you buy a german , French , Italian , Spanish etc etc 1520 warranty will still be valid in the uk ;-)

now if you buy an Asian import etc then you will have no warranty at all

Jcowley

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
I've taken the plunge and order an import from amazon. It was ?450 which is why I've done it. I'm tired of waiting and amazon have their A to Z guarantee so if the seller doesn't reply I'm still covered

Jcowley

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
I've had another email from Simon

Hi,

I put you in contact with Howard Spragg, who looks after the channel for distribution and retail. Amazon are one of his customers.

Demand for colours is driven by our large retailers and network operators. Howard will confirm if coming soon to Amazon. We are obviously keen to secure your custom.

Howard,

Please meet Jonathan. Can you please help him source a 1520 in yellow through your channels.

Please keep me in the loop on resolution.

Kind Regards

Simon

As I said, I've already ordered one through a seller on Amazon, however if it turns out it will be coming to Amazon or anywhere else within my return period I will be sending it straight back and buying a UK model instead. Hope this helps everyone

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo