Rm-938 1520

jssmarathon

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
It's a new year so...................................

DOES ANYONE HAVE A CLUE / A TIP / A LITTLE PIECE OF HOPE ON THE NOKIA LUMIA 1520 RM-938 VARIANT YET?

REALLY want the Qi charging and I don't think I could pull of the physical mod listed in other threads.

Almost bought a 937 on a recent trip to Dubai, but two things I have read me away:

It has been reported elsewhere that the 937 will not work at 4G LTE speeds up on AT&T, and your Internet sharing function will not work.

Has anyone been able to confirm those two points?

TIA!

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
The 938 remains the unicorn phone -- we all know what we're looking for, but no one has yet seen one in the wild. :wink:

It has been reported elsewhere that the 937 will not work at 4G LTE speeds up on AT&T, and your Internet sharing function will not work.Has anyone been able to confirm those two points?
Short answer: the first is certainly correct; I believe that the second one is also, but am not certain.

Long answer #1: depending on where you are, the first point (inability to get onto AT&T's LTE network) may not be much of a problem. In some areas -- so far it seems like dense urban spots -- AT&T is capping LTE throughput such that it's no faster than HSPA, which the RM-937 can use. If you typically are in such areas, getting on to AT&T's LTE network might yield little real-world benefit. However, if you are in an area that isn't speed capped, the LTE network is dramatically faster than the HSPA network (on the order of 7-9x in my quick tests).

Long answer #2: If you travel internationally, the AT&T model, while it supports tethering to AT&T's network, I think that it blocks tethering to other networks. I brought a SIM-unlocked 920 to New Zealand, bough two different SIMs (TelecomNZ and Vodafone) and could not tether with either. (I could use them in the phone for data services, but could not activate tethering.) I don't know if the problem is a full blockage or if I had the tethering service deactivated before I traveled.

Can anyone confirm that an RM-940 with the AT&T tethering feature has able to tether outside of the U.S.? If so, has anyone done that with a non-AT&T SIM?

jbowyer1

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
If you travel internationally, the AT&T model, while it supports tethering to AT&T's network, I think that it blocks tethering to other networks. I brought a SIM-unlocked 920 to New Zealand, bough two different SIMs (TelecomNZ and Vodafone) and could not tether with either.

My experience was the opposite of this. I had an AT&T 920 on a grandfathered unlimited data plan, which meant tethering was blocked, bringing up an error message saying to contact AT&T customer service when I tried to turn it on; I sim-unlocked the phone (via AT&T's customer service) and moved to Australia, put in a Telstra pre-paid sim, and tethering worked instantly, which I tried right off the bat out of curiosity since I had never been able to use tethering on my AT&T phones in the U.S., due to the data plan restriction. I didn't do anything special to unlock it; I did download and install the Nokia Access Point app to be able to change the APNs easily, per a forum thread recommendation, though I'm not sure if this affects tethering blocking in any way.

5150 Joker

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
The rm 937 will certainly tether if you use it with AT&T. But on straight talk it won't work because it pops up an AT&T error message.

Sent from my RM-937_apac_hong_kong_222 using Tapatalk

lcjarvis

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I can't tether on mine either I think its because of the imei's I'm thinking about reactivating my 1020 and get a sim cutter hopefully att won't know the difference

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
My experience was the opposite of this.
Well, now I'm curious. I've just written to our rep to find out the dates for which the tethering service was active for my old 920. I'll really annoy me if I find out that the problem with the TelecomNZ SIM was that I had the AT&T service deactivated. (I didn't buy/test a Telstra SIM because the place where we stayed in Australia had Wi-Fi.)

jssmarathon

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
The 938 remains the unicorn phone -- we all know what we're looking for, but no one has yet seen one in the wild. :wink:

Short answer: the first is certainly correct; I believe that the second one is also, but am not certain.

Long answer #1: depending on where you are, the first point (inability to get onto AT&T's LTE network) may not be much of a problem. In some areas -- so far it seems like dense urban spots -- AT&T is capping LTE throughput such that it's no faster than HSPA, which the RM-937 can use. If you typically are in such areas, getting on to AT&T's LTE network might yield little real-world benefit. However, if you are in an area that isn't speed capped, the LTE network is dramatically faster than the HSPA network (on the order of 7-9x in my quick tests).

Long answer #2: If you travel internationally, the AT&T model, while it supports tethering to AT&T's network, I think that it blocks tethering to other networks. I brought a SIM-unlocked 920 to New Zealand, bough two different SIMs (TelecomNZ and Vodafone) and could not tether with either. (I could use them in the phone for data services, but could not activate tethering.) I don't know if the problem is a full blockage or if I had the tethering service deactivated before I traveled.

Can anyone confirm that an RM-940 with the AT&T tethering feature has able to tether outside of the U.S.? If so, has anyone done that with a non-AT&T SIM?

So being that I am in Boston, I should not worry about LTE. BUT the tethering issue would kill the deal as I oten need to used it as a modem for my laptop. I do pay for ATT's internet sharing so whet is the consensus? Will internet sharing work with 937 here in boston? I would just get a new sim from ATT. I assume they would be happy to give it to me?

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
So being that I am in Boston, I should not worry about LTE. BUT the tethering issue would kill the deal as I oten need to used it as a modem for my laptop. I do pay for ATT's internet sharing so whet is the consensus? Will internet sharing work with 937 here in boston? I would just get a new sim from ATT. I assume they would be happy to give it to me?
First, don't just take my word for it that LTE will be limited. If you have an LTE phone now or have a friend with one, get a speed test app and see how performance is where you normally spend your time. HPSA should get you about 6 Mpbs; LTE should get you substantially more (I saw 35 Mbps in an area about half-way between Philadelphia and a small town about 8 miles outside of the city limits).

Second, I can't yet confirm AT&T tethering with the RM-937. I will test this, but can't until I leave home (snowbound today!). My guess is that I will test on Monday or Tuesday (I need my AT&T rep at work, so a weekend test is out.) In post #4, 5150 Joker said that tethering works, but I don't know if he just expects that or has actually tested it.

So, if you can wait, I can tell you for sure soon. But, with the active community here, you'll probably get a confirmation from someone else before then!

jssmarathon

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
First, don't just take my word for it that LTE will be limited. If you have an LTE phone now or have a friend with one, get a speed test app and see how performance is where you normally spend your time. HPSA should get you about 6 Mpbs; LTE should get you substantially more (I saw 35 Mbps in an area about half-way between Philadelphia and a small town about 8 miles outside of the city limits).

Second, I can't yet confirm AT&T tethering with the RM-937. I will test this, but can't until I leave home (snowbound today!). My guess is that I will test on Monday or Tuesday (I need my AT&T rep at work, so a weekend test is out.) In post #4, 5150 Joker said that tethering works, but I don't know if he just expects that or has actually tested it.

So, if you can wait, I can tell you for sure soon. But, with the active community here, you'll probably get a confirmation from someone else before then!

I Got 11.34 Down and 1.34 up on lte on my 920 with 3 bars.

Thank seems slow.. bet HSPA is close to that don't you think?

Appreciate the test on tethering when you can!!!

drbanks

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I routinely benchmark data rates on AT&T, T-Mobile and Verizon around the Boston area, and 11 down sounds about right for their HSPA+.

I consistently see the highest data rates (HSPA+ and LTE) on T-Mobile, but that opens that huge can of worms about AWS compatibility.

drbanks

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I looked at the specs, and the combination of bands he said it supported points to no such phone.

Unless he can post a screen shot showing it displaying the right model number, I sure wouldn't believe it.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
There's a rumor going around the net that the RM-938 is for T-MobileUSA and Wind Canada. I have no idea if it's credible.

laserphotos

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
almost worth the chance that it is true--ebay will cover it if it is not the correct model as described--how would he pull up the model (variant) # on the screen of the phone?

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
almost worth the chance that it is true--ebay will cover it if it is not the correct model as described--how would he pull up the model (variant) # on the screen of the phone?

I would definitely question the seller about it. Where got it, How he got it since it hasn't been officially announced yet...etc...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05