Is Lumia 720 supports Lumia black updates?

Cryio

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
Your grammar man !

And yes, the L720 will recieve the Black update sometime in February or at a later time..

Gaurav Paul

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
I don't really understand your question. But I'm assuming that you are trying to ask why other 512 MB devices are receiving updates earlier than the Lumia 720.

Well, FYI Black is currently only available to the Lumia 1520 and 1320 which comes pre-installed out of the box.
Secondly Black isn't going to be released until end of January.
Thirdly, the updates will arrive more or less at the same time for all 512 MB RAM devices.

ShreyansShah

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
everyone, listen up. u can find this thing in the news long back.
MS declared that all the current devices with wp8, shall get wp8.1.

thus rest assured that all the devices shall be getting all the updates till wp 8.1

nokia6300

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
everyone, listen up. u can find this thing in the news long back.
MS declared that all the current devices with wp8, shall get wp8.1.

thus rest assured that all the devices shall be getting all the updates till wp 8.1

Gaurav is asking about the Black update for the 720. correct me if i'm wrong but isn't Lumia Black update exclusive for Lumia devices only, and GDR3 is for ALL windows phone devices?
And remember the 520, 620 and 720 never got double tap to wake from the Amber update so maybe some lumias will not get some features from the Black update.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
The reason for that is hardware limitations, however, they did get Amber; same story here, when GDR3 is released, Black will be packaged in as well. So wait for GDR3, everybody is getting it, and before this starts up again, everybody is getting 8.1 (and whatever Nokia decides to package with that update) as well.

Every phone is good on updates for 18 months after initial release, and WP8 isn't 18 months old yet. :)

nokia6300

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
The reason for that is hardware limitations,

this is a rumour. the nokia asha 501 has double tap to wake. have you checked out the specs on that phone? if the asha 501 has it then i'm sure it's not a hardware limitation. look the 720 has nokia drive and the 620 has nokia drive+. nokia did this on purpose for whatever reason. the 720 is higher up than the 620.

Gaurav Paul

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
Well to answer that, I'd like to re-direct your attention to all the features coming with the Black update. Regardless to say all WP devices will receive GDR3 update.

- Glance Screen Notifs
- Glance Screen Night Mode Colours
- Glance Screen Pedometer, Custom text and Cal info
- RAW Camera support
- New Camera Algorithms
- Bluetooth 4.0 LE

So when it comes to the Lumia 720, it will receive all the updates coming with Black except for RAW camera support(Don't ask me why) and Bluetooth 4.0 LE (Because Lumia 720 got it with Amber, Before the high end Lumias).

As for Lumia 520 goes, it doesn't support Glance screen, so one doesn't have to be a rocket scientist to realize that the Lumia 520 wont support glance screen related updates (Or unless Nokia somehow enables it on the Lumia 520).

As for DTTW(Double Tap To Wake), Nokia decided not to ship the lower end Lumia because of battery issues. And please don't throw the gauntlet at me that the much lower spec'd Asha 501 has DTTW.

But if you do, please note that the Asha is already a lower spec'd phone(and smaller screen). So enabling the DTTW on it didn't affect battery as much as it did on the lower end Lumias.

And again lets remind ourselves a very crucial thing, The Lumia 720 is a mid-range device. A best of both worlds. So expecting it to support all the fancy stuff of the flag-ship device will defeat its purpose. I'm sorry if it upsets anyone, but that is the case when it comes to phones.

nokia6300

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
Well to answer that, I'd like to re-direct your attention to all the features coming with the Black update. Regardless to say all WP devices will receive GDR3 update.

- Glance Screen Notifs
- Glance Screen Night Mode Colours
- Glance Screen Pedometer, Custom text and Cal info
- RAW Camera support
- New Camera Algorithms
- Bluetooth 4.0 LE

So when it comes to the Lumia 720, it will receive all the updates coming with Black except for RAW camera support(Don't ask me why) and Bluetooth 4.0 LE (Because Lumia 720 got it with Amber, Before the high end Lumias).

As for Lumia 520 goes, it doesn't support Glance screen, so one doesn't have to be a rocket scientist to realize that the Lumia 520 wont support glance screen related updates (Or unless Nokia somehow enables it on the Lumia 520).

As for DTTW(Double Tap To Wake), Nokia decided not to ship the lower end Lumia because of battery issues. And please don't throw the gauntlet at me that the much lower spec'd Asha 501 has DTTW.

But if you do, please note that the Asha is already a lower spec'd phone(and smaller screen). So enabling the DTTW on it didn't affect battery as much as it did on the lower end Lumias.

And again lets remind ourselves a very crucial thing, The Lumia 720 is a mid-range device. A best of both worlds. So expecting it to support all the fancy stuff of the flag-ship device will defeat its purpose. I'm sorry if it upsets anyone, but that is the case when it comes to phones.

what battery issues are you talking about?? can you be more specific? it's got a friggin 2000ma battery, same as the 920, and the 520 and 620 does not but you know that already. zulfigar was saying it's a hardware limitation and i say nokia disabled that feature.

Gaurav Paul

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
Well yes, it does have a 2000mAh battery. But may I please re-direct your attention towards how the battery back-up reduced considerably for many Lumia 720 or Lumia 920 users after Amber update. There are many post in this forum about reduced battery backup post Amber. So when I said it was due to battery issues and when others comment its hardware limitations, its more like reduced battery backup.

Now I hope you understand why Nokia pulled out DTTW from Lumia 720 in the last moment because the Lumia 720 already had reduced battery back-up(thanks to glance for ex) and if they did enable DTTW in the Lumia 720, Nokia would end up with even more people whining for lower battery life. They rolled DTTW for the 920 because it was then the flagship device and it would have been stupid not to do so.

Anyways I would have liked DTTW, but I'm very comfortable without it because my phone isn't that huge that I won't be able to reach the unlock buttons. IMO DTTW is a must feature in phablets I think.

Gaurav Paul

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
Good for you. Although I must say 10-11 Hrs of backup was kind of low. My battery backup reduced from over 2 days to just over a day.

gowhar

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. One more problem is that my phone is showing double audios & images.
i managed the audio but images are still creating problem.

nokia6300

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
There are many post in this forum about reduced battery backup post Amber. So when I said it was due to battery issues and when others comment its hardware limitations, its more like reduced battery backup.

Now I hope you understand why Nokia pulled out DTTW from Lumia 720 in the last moment because the Lumia 720 already had reduced battery back-up(thanks to glance for ex) and if they did enable DTTW in the Lumia 720, Nokia would end up with even more people whining for lower battery life. They rolled DTTW for the 920 because it was then the flagship device and it would have been stupid not to do so.

so now do you still believe it's a "battery issue"? just so you know i did a little experiment. before bedtime i turned on glance peek with a sim card inside the phone on standby everything else was set to off, yes everything. and guess what? when i woke up the next morning the battery had dropped 0.2% per hour and to me that is negligible. so i doubt nokia didn't include double tap to wake in it's Amber release because of battery issues.

to further my point, let's say DTTW is coming to 620 and 720 that would totally prove you wrong because the 620 has even a smaller battery than the 720.

battery consumption for most people complaining was probably due to some background task running.

Gaurav Paul

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
First Glance and DTTW are two different things. Secondly, with glance on "peek" mode, the glance screen is shown for 15 seconds after which it turns off the screen and the proximity sensor keeps doing its job.

As for DTTW, there's no official news about it yet, but I've posted some videos I found on YouTube with 625 and 720 supporting DTTW. Now once we officially get Black and if Nokia enables DTTW on the 720, I'd suggest you to notice in Touch settings where we can enable DTTW. There is a small line saying "This reduces battery life". I know so because I have it enabled on my Lumia 920.

Now I'm sure Nokia wouldn't just simply say that or for ex in many battery saving tips they always tip: "Turn of DTTW", if there isn't any truth to that. Fact of the matter is there is a drop in battery life; but not a HUGE as you'd imagine when I had posted that earlier, which probably was one of the reasons why it was held back.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss