Dead pixel or dust under screen?

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
Not too long after I got my 1020, say a couple of weeks, I noticed what looked like it was a pin-point scratch on the screen, yet whenever I ran my finger over it I couldn't feel a scratch at all. The screen was still completely smooth.

I showed it to a friend who wondered if a speck of dust had gotten under the screen somehow.

I have run a dead pixel test app on it and it doesn't seem to show anything up - it's like it refracts the colours rather than being a straight-up black-spot no matter what the screen is showing.

I've uploaded a photo of it to Flickr but it might not be supremely useful as obviously the refresh rate of the screen blurs it a bit, but it's clearly visible.

Another friend pointed out to me that it's still under warranty so I wondered whether it was worth ringing Nokia and seeing what they say? The only thing is as daft as it sounds if I got a replacement phone I'd lose a lot of saved progress in a lot of games so only want to do it as a last resort really...

20140103_113022 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Any ideas/suggestions?

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Looks to me like it's going to take a replacement to get it right unless it is dust (I think it's hard to say from the image) and you want to take the phone apart - which would introduce the possibility of more dust.

Crasstoe

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Looks like dirt, or a tiny scuff to me.

Is it possible it has been there as long as you have had the phone? Could be a scuff or dirt from manufacture?

How visible is it from normal viewing distances when there is an image on screen? Could be worth just living with it?

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the replies peeps. Definitely wasn't there when I first got it as I'm always paranoid about scratching the phone early on after I did the same to my last one (Omnia 7) so was taking extra care not to do anything on this one.

I did think it sounded like a replacement. To be honest I am kinda 'over' it now but the perfectionist (and pedant!) in me just wonders about getting it sorted while still under warranty. I have shown it to a few people and the funny thing is how many of them struggle to see it in the first place.

Maybe I can max out the achievements on most of my games before sending it in... ;)

Thanks again!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6