GSMArena readers prove they rock hard by selecting Lumia 1520 as "Grand Champion"!!

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
What this really proves is WPC threads about this 'beauty contest" can get a lot of Nokia Lumia fans to vote.

Kidding about "beauty" part but underdogs VOTE and threads about this got Nokia Lumia fans to the polls so to speak.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Has MS released any details about backwards device support with new versions of WP? I ask because they dropped the ball IMO, with WP7 users i.e. me and my Lumia 900.

Microsoft hardly "dropped the ball" with WP7 devices. It was known well ahead of time that all WP7 devices, including the 900, would be incompatible with the new Windows NT derived kernel that would underpin Windows Phone 8. It wasn't a drastic and sudden announcement to anyone.

Anyway, off my soapbox, Microsoft has said before that there would be an update path moving forward for WP8 devices.

EpidemikE1

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft hardly "dropped the ball" with WP7 devices. It was known well ahead of time that all WP7 devices, including the 900, would be incompatible with the new Windows NT derived kernel that would underpin Windows Phone 8. It wasn't a drastic and sudden announcement to anyone.

Anyway, off my soapbox, Microsoft has said before that there would be an update path moving forward for WP8 devices.

Well MS and the carriers did nothing to notify users of the incompatibility. Even the fact that older devices cant run the newer OS was a terrible move. iOS is backwards compatible with most if not all devices (not sure if this has changed) and Android to a certain extent is but due to higher graphic requirements from later versions. This early on to not be supporting WP7 devices for WP8 and later OS updates is dropping the ball when MS is trying to build up a user.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Stranger: What kind of phone are you using there?

Me: It's GSM arena's grand champion, the Nokia Lumia 1520, a windows phone....and it's awesome! :smile:

Just letting you know: If you start addressing yourself as "Grand Champion Cus", I will have to laugh at you. :grin:

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Well MS and the carriers did nothing to notify users of the incompatibility. Even the fact that older devices cant run the newer OS was a terrible move. iOS is backwards compatible with most if not all devices (not sure if this has changed) and Android to a certain extent is but due to higher graphic requirements from later versions. This early on to not be supporting WP7 devices for WP8 and later OS updates is dropping the ball when MS is trying to build up a user.

Microsoft was hardly keeping this information a secret. The 900 was in General Availability in April '12. Searching this forum showed my threads from February 2012 discussing no migration form WP7 to WP8. That said, we are 15 months into WP8, why are we still discussing this?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon