Please Help Me Unlock My Second Hand Lumia 920

DNTracy

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
I just bought this off Ebay and fixed the screen. It's a gift for my brother, who lives in Hong Kong. I am an ATT user. But everytime I ask ATT to unlock it, they say: "Sorry. We don't unlock second hand phones." And all third party options seem flakey. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Isn't it an ATT branded phone? If so, they have too, considering if that phone is still under a contract. If not, ATT lied to you. Right now, the carrier that's branded on the phone is the only ones that can unlock it.

DNTracy

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
Yes. It's an ATT branded phone and is not under any contract. They keep telling me that, since I'm not the original owner, I'm SOL.

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Then you're out of luck. I meant, the contract when that phone was first bought. Usually when that ends, they will unlock it.

You may have some luck here. There have been ppl here that flashed there 920s with another carriers firmware. So...maybe that's your way?

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Why don't you contact the original owner and ask him if he can help you to unlock the phone? Both of you can contact AT&T on the same line, he can provide the original owner information that they require and you will receive the unlock code.

isleidyll

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
I have been through this with AT&T too. I just don't understand what AT&T gains by keeping these off contract phones locked up. I guess it's to keep people in bondage to AT&T so they can't switch to T-Mobile. There are only three remedies on the horizon; the FCC will require unlocking of such phones, that Congress will pass one of the pending bills requiring unlocking or that some creative hacker somewhere will realize that there is money to be made by figuring out how to defeat AT&T locking. My bet is on the third option.

cndspec

May 29, 2013
Visit site
You can just go to cellunlocker.net and purchase an unlock code from them. I have unlocked 2 920s and a few android handsets through them with no problems whatsoever. They have always provided the unlock codes within 24 hours, usually in about an hour or so.

isleidyll

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
I just checked. cellunlocker.net does not provide unlocking services for Lumia 920 phones locked to AT&T, at least as of today.

siulaymama

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Once my current contact is up with ATT I am going to TMobile. ATT make unlocking their phone next to impossible. And that include their own employee. I work at a tech company and we are an exclusive ATT house, so we have a dedicated ATT account team. It took me and our company ATT account rep almost 2 hrs on the phone to unlock one of my personal ATT phone.
Frankly is not worth the trouble.
I think ATT lock down the system to the point that no outside company can unlock any of their smart phone. Let me know if you have any luck.

siulaymama

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
The web site IMHO is a waste of time. My experience was VERY bad. I completed the form online and few days later got a cryptic email from ATT basically saying for "unknown" reasons they can't unlock the phone. Call their support and they keep on pointing me back to the site and ask me to refill the form. Same result for a paid off Nokia 920. I think ATT is just trying everything possible to prevent people from switching.

isleidyll

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
The web site IMHO is a waste of time. My experience was VERY bad. I completed the form online and few days later got a cryptic email from ATT basically saying for "unknown" reasons they can't unlock the phone. Call their support and they keep on pointing me back to the site and ask me to refill the form. Same result for a paid off Nokia 920. I think ATT is just trying everything possible to prevent people from switching.

Look at it this way. If you are going to stay AT&T you don't need to unlock. If you want to unlock this must mean you want to defect to T-Mobile. Why should they want to help you do that?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05