Help: Lumia 1520 lens/camera shakes when held still!

apecx92

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
as the title state, here the video i uploaded. record on flat/steady ground. is it normal? :unhappysweat: does your lumia 1520 do this too?

sorry for my english.

Last edited:

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Re: Lumia 1520 lens/camera shake itself

Did you prop up the phone and not touch it, or is you hand trying to
hold it steady as it's on a table /flat ground or something?

Because if you are just using you hand to steady it while it's sitting on something flat,
if you breathe - you will get movement.

And how did you turn it on and off without touching it OR did you edit those parts out ?

apecx92

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site

im not hold it with my hand. i put it on flat ground and use heavy big object to make it not move then touch the record button and finish.

sorry for my poor english.

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site

im not hold it with my hand. i put it on flat ground and use heavy big object to make it not move then touch the record button and finish.

sorry for my poor english.

So you did touch it to turn it on, unless the phone was held in a vice touching it to turn it on and off it could cause movement.
I'm not saying it didn't move on it's own, but I would try it again with the phone laying flat on a table with just the lens showing pointing at the ground and video something, that way even touching it to turn it on or off would not cause movement.
And your English in fine, I'm sure I could not speak your language as well as you do mine.

You used "touch screen" to turn it on correct, and not the button ?

apecx92

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site

yes i used the touch screen to turn the record on.

just now tried the phone laying flat on a table and record the ground, the lens also move itself just like in the video i posted. i think its not normal to me. is it because of the ois? hmmm

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
I guess you'll have to wait for a 1520 owner to reply I have an 820 using Nokia Camera's video or the built-in video and there is no movement.

You should have no movement like that at all. I don't know that phone, can you remove the cover and see if the lens is slightly loose ?

apecx92

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
remove the cover? it will void my warranty right? better i send to service centre. but afraid service centre wont entertain my problem. =.=''

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
I asked if it was removable as in its supposed to, I guess it's not. Too bad no 1520 owners reply to your question, but I can tell you that movement is not how it's supposed to be, it shouldn't move at all.

apecx92

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
no support from lumia 1520 user. bummer :(

for lumia 1520 user could you test out your camera phone by lay it down on flat ground and see its shake or not in video (full zoom) mode?

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
already speak with nokia representative, they said its not normal, so i need to send it to care centre.

Right not normal. Good Luck. You should let them know that you have a clip of the problem on your phone, they'll probably want you to remove all your personal information and save it and do a factory reset - then take the same type of video and save it to your phone so they can see it before they start taking it apart. That's what I would do anyway.

rbiasca

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
I own a 1520 and it will move like that if I'm focusing for a still image. Shouldn't be a problem unless Yu want to use a tripod.

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
I own a 1520 and it will move like that if I'm focusing for a still image. Shouldn't be a problem unless Yu want to use a tripod.

I have an 8XX and I thought maybe with a still object with close focus the auto focus might "search" and you'd get that movement which would be perfectly normal especially if there were varying surface levels to focus in on, but with my little 8MP camera and using Nokia Camera /Video, I can set a pen 50mm away from the lens, start the video and the image is rock steady. Looking at the video there are multiple surface areas that autofocus could hit on, possible that is the cause. Try an object like a pen which is 3 dimensional and not flat but doesn't have all those layers to focus in on like the object in your test.

rbiasca

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
It is the ois it has springs and ball bearings that seem to have some play, its a very smooth movement, and it doesn't seem to cause a problem. It doesn't really bother me.

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
It is the ois it has springs and ball bearings that seem to have some play, its a very smooth movement, and it doesn't seem to cause a problem. It doesn't really bother me.

Lens movement resulting in a shaky image -unless it is because it is trying to focus on several layers and finally locks - is not what any video camera,
even the least expensive should do. If you're happy with shoddy workmanship -that's your prerogative. :smile:

rbiasca

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
Its not so much a shake as much as a drift. I might have sent mine back, unfortunately I dropped it and broke the digitizer so I don't think they will take it now.

apecx92

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
my problem is the camera is shake from (move right left)

add one more video

send to nokia care centre and they said will change the camera part to new one and test it out, if the new part also shaky they will change back to old one. =.='' but the camera should not shake on its own.

GF Wong

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Face similar problem but it is intermittent. But when it shakes it is really bad. I took it to Nokia Care they asked me to leave the phone there for 2 weeks for checking. Nokia outsourced their service center in Malaysia to a local company and their support is really bad.

See the link for the shaking symptom on mine YouTube

g1nchy

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
The first video is the Optical Image Stabilisation. you'll find when you move the camera even slightly the lens feels like its in jelly and moves at a slower rate.

I also noticed when I was at the grand prix. the high frequency noise and vibration that travels through the air enters the phones body and shakes the camera.

Nokia should have an option to turn of optical image stabilisation and fix the lens in one position.

Also getting dust ingression issues on a phone that's only one month old and new.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99