Help: Lumia 1520 lens/camera shakes when held still!

blue1k

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Ok restored mine by flashing back to official HK rom 8.1. I noticed the shake is less. But this evening, I noticed that in low light there is zero shake? WTF? If it is solely a hardware defect then it should be persistent. Not complaining though!!! 😃 I just hope it stays like this.

nitrocs

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
The replacement camera is even in amazon.com, Amazon.com: Nokia Lumia 1520 Back Rear Camera Flex Cable: Cell Phones & Accessories
and
Amazon.com: Back Rear Big Camera Module Replacement for Nokia Lumia 1520 Bandit: Cell Phones & Accessories
But I think repairing this by myself would be a disaster, the only help I have found is in ifixit.com, but it shows the complete disassembly and reassembly of the phone, which the camera is only a portion and not that isolated as I would like.

Its actually very easy
Theres 4-5 torx head screws, a couple snap connectors and two antennas to disconnect & the main board comes right out. If you have any electronics disassembly experience, its a cakewalk

Allan Cantillo M

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
No I don't have any disassembly nor tools to do that.

Does anybody recommend some place to send the phone to repair (because it does not have any warrant) specifically in Seattle grand area (I can send it there). Or any other place in the US?

blue1k

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
See my post. I found the Finnish rom almost completely removes the jitter/shake. I have the HK 1520 and I found the stock rom and the British rom had terrible shake. I don't have a warranty so I looked to see if software affects it. The phone is so much better using the Finnish RM-937 rom. Barely any shake and sometimes none at all. Autofocus is super quick too.
You can only flash if you have a RM-937. Pm me if you need help. Very easy to flash.

KSilcox

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
My Lumia 1520 just started doing this, so I got it replaced under warranty and the new one came today. Guess what, it does the same thing!
btw, I reset the phone to factory defaults and didn't download any apps or even log into the phone before testing the camera, and the issue is there. It's actually worse on this new replacement phone.
Not even sure what to do now...

KSilcox

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
welp, third time is a charm. Got my replacement's replacement, and the camera works great. The support at ATT was excellent. They overnighted both phone replacements so the entire process only took a few days. Great!

blue1k

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Ya I finally had enough my 1520 and sold it someone who didn't care about the camera. My current White 1520 is flawless with NO shake.

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
Potential Fix - Lumia 1520 Camera Shake / Picture Blur Problem

I had similar problems with my Lumia 1520 (i.e. camera shake / blur in both photo & video mode) but seem to have found a fix, as follows.

My Lumia 1520's camera worked great for the first 6 months or so.

Then, one day I was up at a Windfarm taking some photos & videos - the flicker of the turbine blades seemed to cause the camera real problems with shake/blur. I don't whether this threw the calibration of the optical image stabilisation, but from that point on the camera always took blurry photos and any new video recordings jumped around when viewed back. This poor camera performance went on for several months - the 20MP camera of my Lumia 1520 taking embarrassingly poor photos & videos (regardless of which camera app I used).

The 'fix' that I found was to turn on the 'Framing Grid' in the Nokia Camera App (Nokia Camera -> Settings -> Framing Grids -> 'Rule of Thirds'). The effect was remarkable (almost like it recalibrated the image stabilisation ?). The previously shaky image stabilised and ever since then the camera has been taking great photos again.

Possibly just a coincidence, but this has certainly solved the problem for me !

Maddy88

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
Yes.....i am facing the same issue. Brought a brand new red Lumia 1520 couple of days back. The screen appears to shake even after placing it fixed on a stand just to make sure it wasn't my fingers that were shaking.

Maddy88

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
I tried one of the fixes by setting the grids to one thirds rule in nokia camera app settings. still no change. I have read somewhere on gsm arena that this issue is likely to be rectified with the denim update. is it true ?

oboboy14

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
I just noticed this problem today. Didn't notice it even a week ago when I had just updated to Denim on my ATT Lumia 1520. Restarted the phone and still there was a problem. Turning on the grids didn't help. The front facing camera has no problem, and even when I try other lenses for the rear camera, I still have the same issue. I had accidentally ran over my phone 3 weeks ago and had the screen replace, but the camera seemed fine, even before it was fixed. I might try a reset and see if that works, but I really don't want to send it in. I could probably replace the part myself for cheaper.

oboboy14

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
I just noticed this problem today. Didn't notice it even a week ago when I had just updated to Denim on my ATT Lumia 1520. Restarted the phone and still there was a problem. Turning on the grids didn't help. The front facing camera has no problem, and even when I try other lenses for the rear camera, I still have the same issue. I had accidentally ran over my phone 3 weeks ago and had the screen replace, but the camera seemed fine, even before it was fixed. I might try a reset and see if that works, but I really don't want to send it in. I could probably replace the part myself for cheaper.

UPDATE:

Reset my phone and upgraded back to Denim through the Software Recovery Tool. Same problem. I will be ordering a replacement part, either on Amazon or parts4repair, and hopefully that will solve the problem.

Ask Sonnie

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Had the same problem- zooming in and out like crazy, phantom taps and scrolls. Brought it to repair center and they replaced the display assembly.

oboboy14

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Had the same problem- zooming in and out like crazy, phantom taps and scrolls. Brought it to repair center and they replaced the display assembly.

Did you notice the same issue with your front-facing camera? It only happens with me to the rear camera, and I just had my display replaced, so that leads me to believe that the camera is faulty, and not the display.

Ask Sonnie

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Did you notice the same issue with your front-facing camera? It only happens with me to the rear camera, and I just had my display replaced, so that leads me to believe that the camera is faulty, and not the display.

Yes, and when not using the camera, the screen display shakes until it freezes.

Had an issue with the crappy service of the repair center at first, but they replaced the defective part and got my repaired unit back in 2 days.

http://asksonnie.info/a-brand-in-transition-is-not-a-brand-in-crisis/

toby182

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
THIS IS WHAT I FOUND. I recently had the same problem after changing my housing for the phone. The picture appears shaken is due to its focusing mechanism. I stripped my 1520 and played around with it to find out what caused it. The camera VIBRATES like a mad dog when it is doing its work, causing the camera to see double.

All this problem could happen if your camera did not fit in its new housing properly, or falling out or not fitting into the rubber pad that sits around the housing (not the chassis), Making the camera dangling lose in the device. Think of those parts as its suspension.

After opening it up, I find it interesting the 1520 is almost built in reverse, it greatly depends on the shell to hold everything in place, not just the chassis alone. NOW, the camera has nothing around it, but only hanging off its connecting socket. It has a good 1mm - 2mm of empty space around it, and a good empty 1cm from its connection.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss