What happened to the 32GB (AT&T) Model?

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
When the 1520 availability was announced with AT&T, they said a 32GB version would soon follow, but NOTHING has been announced after that. I tweeted @NokiaUS and @ATT about it, and they didn't answer. I feel like it will never come at this rate. What do you guys think? Will it be available soon?

ragingklu

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm not surprised they're quiet on this but I've been wondering the same. It would have been nice to have a rough idea of when this would be so I would have known whether waiting was going to be worth it or not.

crav4speed

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I think AT&T will get it when Rogers gets it. It will probably be the same device but with different branding, aka the RM-938 which has all North American 3G and LTE bands.

Joe Acerbic

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
As an ex-verizon customer I really don't understand all the ATT hate going around this forum

Maybe this will help you understand: AT&T turns data caps into profits with new fees for content providers | Ars Technica

AT&T is going to try to extort money from e.g. Netflix who certainly would pass the cost on to all their customers, not only those idiots who are willing AT&T victims. Hating AT&T with passion is reasonable and justified.

BTW, crippling the storage is part of the data cap scam: making it more difficult to store stuff on the phone makes the victims use more data.

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I feel like it will never come at this rate. What do you guys think?

I don't think anything. I know it has been less than two months since the 1520 launch. Calm down.

Maybe this will help you understand: AT&T turns data caps into profits with new fees for content providers | Ars Technica

AT&T is going to try to extort money from e.g. Netflix who certainly would pass the cost on to all their customers, not only those idiots who are willing AT&T victims. Hating AT&T with passion is reasonable and justified.

BTW, crippling the storage is part of the data cap scam: making it more difficult to store stuff on the phone makes the victims use more data.

Conspiracy much?

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site

I believe that I read that the 32 Gb model is to come sometime in Q1 of 2014. With respect to data caps and storage If you are on ATT you should have picked up on the ATT locker and quickly taken advantage of the free upgrade to 50 GB its like skydrive in many respects. Also you had an opportunity to add 20 GB of storage to skydrive for a year which should have gotten you up to at least 45 Gb or storage so you have less need to have a 43 Gb model perhaps. I have the 920 w 32 GB and have plenty of room left but I must admit I am probably going to wait to get a 32 GB variant if/when it comes out.

EpidemikE1

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Crippling the storage is another way that they could potentially drive more accessory sales, i.e. SD cards. I personally dont mind the storage being 16GB because it is after all expandable, I mind more that they pulled out the wireless charging.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't think anything. I know it has been less than two months since the 1520 launch. Calm down.

Conspiracy much?
Unstoppablekem was being pretty level headed...

About the "conspiracy", there is nothing crazy about it. AT&T had Nokia remove Qi wireless charging because of AT&T's ties to PMA. AT&T had them remove memory so you depend on their network more. Companies don't do things for no reason.

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Unstoppablekem was being pretty level headed...

No.

About the "conspiracy", there is nothing crazy about it. AT&T had Nokia remove Qi wireless charging because of AT&T's ties to PMA. AT&T had them remove memory so you depend on their network more. Companies don't do things for no reason.

Picking a standard and then clearly stating to the press you are picking it is not a "conspiracy." at&t had explicitly stated that they have asked all manufactures to provide PMA compatible products. You may not like the standard they picked but that doesn't mean it is a "conspiracy." They felt they needed to pick something and honestly no one has clearly explained to me why one standard is better than the other. Keep in mind most people don't even know about wirelessly charging cell phones let alone care which standard is in their phones.

Obviously from a PR point of view at&t really shouldn't have done this sort of half step thing with the 1520 but if they bring a fully PMA enabled 1520 to market in a few months I'll be satisfied.

The notion that at&t removed memory from the phone in some convoluted plot to get you to use more bandwidth is absurd. I've used a 16GB phone for years and not had any problem. Most smartphones out there are 16GB or below and no one has died. 16GB + 64GB removable memory is way more than 99.9% of the users out there will ever need.

The problem is people look at phone usage from their tiny minority point of view. at&t is selling to the general public not a handful of cell phone gaming fanatics.

Let's hear your "non-conspiracy" explanation for the crippled memory, please. $5 savings in manufacturing costs maybe...?

It's been explained numerous times you can't just look at a parts list and say that's what a phone should cost at retail. If that were the case then the iphone 5s would cost less than $200 OFF CONTRACT and be free for everyone on contract on launch day. Yes the iphone 5s is overpriced in my opinion... but it's not that overpriced.

Anyway keep looking at parts lists and waiting for stuff at retail to sell for $5. I don't know of any manufacturer who doubles the high quality memory in a device from 16 GB to 32 GB and only bumps the cost of the device up $5 at launch. I really don't understand the memory market but I'm not brain dead. I can look at mp3 players, smartphones, and now tablets and the same trend holds in all cases. That is the whole reason many of us have been screaming for removable storage for years. For whatever reason when we go out ourselves and buy the memory cards it's just a lot cheaper.

Trust me I wish it was only a $5 difference but I have to live in reality.

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if AT&T chose a smaller memory device with an eye towards encouraging more streaming and data use. They might also see that many of their customers are fine with 16gb phones and are not usually interested in paying more for a larger device.
I can't entirely blame AT&T for the size thing. There's no way the 32gb model would only cost them $5 more from Nokia. Now, if Nokia wants to disclose the price gap we'll have a better understanding.

Joe Acerbic

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
An example: Surface Pro 2 with 64GB is $899; 128GB is $999. That's $25 per 16GB added. Only when the price is set by Apple or AT&T, added 16GB costs $100 retail.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss