Finally!! Lumia 1520 RM-938 for sale!! BUT...

jssmarathon

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
You would think. I would have ordered by now.

Their Phone support is awful. Have called 5 times now and it just goes to "Leave a message"

nuprotocol

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
You would think. I would have ordered by now.

Their Phone support is awful. Have called 5 times now and it just goes to "Leave a message"

That is awful and extremely fishy. First they can't take a picture of one of the many boxes they have on hand(if they actually have any). Then he will not confirm if it does have QI while also telling you to call in knowing that you will get voicemail.

bizzy-glx

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
That is awful and extremely fishy. First they can't take a picture of one of the many boxes they have on hand(if they actually have any). Then he will not confirm if it does have QI while also telling you to call in knowing that you will get voicemail.

I've been reviewing specs for the various 1520's (RM-937, RM-938, RM-940) on many, many sites over the past couple of weeks. I've never seen any site's list of specs specifically point out that Qi charging was/was not built into the units.

That being said, we Windows Phone hobbyists do know that the locked, US market, AT&T bound 1520's don't have Qi charging. We do know that the unlocked, or international versions of the 1520 do have Qi charging built in.

Anyways, I guess CollinFX45 and I will be the first one's to officially let everyone here on WPC what is up...

CollinFX45

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
I've been reviewing specs for the various 1520's (RM-937, RM-938, RM-940) on many, many sites over the past couple of weeks. I've never seen any site's list of specs specifically point out that Qi charging was/was not built into the units.

That being said, we Windows Phone hobbyists do know that the locked, US market, AT&T bound 1520's don't have Qi charging. We do know that the unlocked, or international versions of the 1520 do have Qi charging built in.

Anyways, I guess CollinFX45 and I will be the first one's to officially let everyone here on WPC what is up...

Yep, good point: none of them list it in the specs.

I think what this comes down to is that AT&T have gone out of their way time and time again to take things away from the consumer for a higher profit margin. I switched to T-Mobile despite getting somewhat lousy coverage at work because I liked what they were doing in the industry. AT&T, on the other hand, has taken away mobile hotspot from the 3gb tablet plan, disabled hotspot tethering on the iPad, taken away headphones out of every phone they sell, removed wireless charging from the Lumia 1520, cut the storage in half on their 1520, and the list goes on and on. I know this is off topic, but I felt the need to say why I would go way out of my way to purchase a non-AT&T branded phone. I 100% blame AT&T and not Nokia on this, though I wish Nokia would grow a pair and act more like Apple in not letting carriers bully them.

-Collin-

jssmarathon

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Well said Colin. Funny thing is I switched from Verizon to get to AT&T because Verizon had always done exactly what AT&T is doing now.

Can't wait to hear what type of phone you do get. I was able to reach Negri electronics by phone this morning. Anthony, told me that there would be a 1 to 2 week delay in ordering this phone, and that it comes from Hong Kong. Also, he could not tell me for sure if it had Qi charging, but would inquire and get back to me by telephone.

They are certainly trying their best, but don't have any definite's. Just have to wait to see what you get. And when you get it

bizzy-glx

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Yep, good point: none of them list it in the specs.

I think what this comes down to is that AT&T have gone out of their way time and time again to take things away from the consumer for a higher profit margin. I switched to T-Mobile despite getting somewhat lousy coverage at work because I liked what they were doing in the industry. AT&T, on the other hand, has taken away mobile hotspot from the 3gb tablet plan, disabled hotspot tethering on the iPad, taken away headphones out of every phone they sell, removed wireless charging from the Lumia 1520, cut the storage in half on their 1520, and the list goes on and on. I know this is off topic, but I felt the need to say why I would go way out of my way to purchase a non-AT&T branded phone. I 100% blame AT&T and not Nokia on this, though I wish Nokia would grow a pair and act more like Apple in not letting carriers bully them.

-Collin-

No doubt. I would have bought a 1520 for the full price at an AT&T store, had AT&T not hamstrung the device.

You have a good point though, at least the 1520 is not the only device/service that AT&T is hosing up.

CollinFX45

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Guys: we are in luck. I was able to go get it at FedEx. Good news so far: it definitely has Qi charging. Bad news so far: the bands listed for LTE are missing 2100mhz just like on Negri's site. I'm popping in my AT&T SIM now as well as my T-Mobile SIM to do some speed tests and I will post some photos and report back soon! This could be the unicorn!

​-Collin-

bands.jpgQi.jpg

wp_ss_20140313_0001.jpg

Last edited:

CollinFX45

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Is that speed on att?

That's T-Mobile. On AT&T, I can't test the true speed because I actually just have Aio Wireless, which throttles the LTE data at 8mbps. But it is consistent with my AT&T Lumia 1520 at around 5mbps. So I can confirm that LTE works on both T-Mobile and AT&T.

-Collin-

CollinFX45

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Thanks
Any way you can test interned sharing on att?
On my way to store!

Aio doesn't allow tethering at all, so it won't work unfortunately. I'm sorry.

What does not having that missing band you referred too mean? What does that effect?

With Band 4 LTE, it uses 1700mhz and 2100mhz. I think one is for upload, one for download. On the box, it does not indicate that it has the 2100mhz band, yet LTE still works fine on both AT&T and T-Mobile. I'm going to assume maybe Nokia was lazy and didn't say 1700_2100, though they did on the HSPA side. Strange. I think we're all good though.

-Collin-

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Strange. Internet sharing works on AIO on my Lumia 920.

I was actually looking at that phone at Negri (no more AT&T phones for me now that I switched) just now and stumbled on this thread.

kabel_mk

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site

With Band 4 LTE, it uses 1700mhz and 2100mhz. I think one is for upload, one for download. On the box, it does not indicate that it has the 2100mhz band, yet LTE still works fine on both AT&T and T-Mobile. I'm going to assume maybe Nokia was lazy and didn't say 1700_2100, though they did on the HSPA side. Strange. I think we're all good though.

-Collin-
I see there is still confusion regarding bands. You are mixing bands with download/upload channels. Downlink for band 4 is not written explicitly, so it got to be there on phone's hardware and that is why your phone is working on t-mobile's lte. I agree with you that Nokia is not consistent with the labeling. For WCDMA band 4 they have 1700_2100, but they didn't do the same job for labeling the LTE band 4. They just used the common descriptor 1700 for LTE band 4.

Here is one example; on the box is written:

LTE 700/850/1700/1900/2600 which means:
UL = uplink [MHz]
DL = downlink [MHz]
Code:
[FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2]LTE (700=band17[UL=704-716;DL=734-746]) 
    (850=band5[UL=824-849;DL=869-894])
    (1700=band4[UL=1710-1755;DL=2110-2155])
    (1900=band2[UL=1850-1910;DL=1930-1990])
    (2600=band7[UL=2500-2570;DL=2620-2690])[/SIZE][/FONT]

Last edited:

bizzy-glx

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site

-Collin-

Congrats Collin, and thanks much for the pics and speed confirmation! Is the 32 GB of internal storage is truism?

bizzy-glx

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Well said Colin. Funny thing is I switched from Verizon to get to AT&T because Verizon had always done exactly what AT&T is doing now.

Can't wait to hear what type of phone you do get. I was able to reach Negri electronics by phone this morning. Anthony, told me that there would be a 1 to 2 week delay in ordering this phone, and that it comes from Hong Kong. Also, he could not tell me for sure if it had Qi charging, but would inquire and get back to me by telephone.

They are certainly trying their best, but don't have any definite's. Just have to wait to see what you get. And when you get it

Guessing that maybe Negri only had a couple of 1520.3 units actually in stock in Nevada and the rest of their stock is actually at their supplier in China. That would be in line with the eBay merchant I originally ordered from, buybuybox, they had what looks like three RM-938's in house.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3