Finally!! Lumia 1520 RM-938 for sale!! BUT...

jssmarathon

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Lucky me, mine should be here on St. Patrick's Day(pun intended):

View attachment 59538

Bizzy

I ordered mine from the Negri last night,

Can you tell me when you ordered yours and how long it took to get this delivery number?

I ordered the expedited shipping, and the $20 coupon worked, but I'll be out of town next Thursday for a few days so may need to call FedEx and have them hold it, so any information you might have would be helpful

bizzy-glx

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Bizzy

I ordered mine from the Negri last night,

Can you tell me when you ordered yours and how long it took to get this delivery number?

I ordered the expedited shipping, and the $20 coupon worked, but I'll be out of town next Thursday for a few days so may need to call FedEx and have them hold it, so any information you might have would be helpful

Hey jssmarathon,

I placed my order on March 11th (Tuesday of this week) at ~10:30am EDT and I had the FedEx Delivery Number on March 12th at ~11am EDT.

Hope this info helps!

CollinFX45

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Guessing that maybe Negri only had a couple of 1520.3 units actually in stock in Nevada and the rest of their stock is actually at their supplier in China. That would be in line with the eBay merchant I originally ordered from, buybuybox, they had what looks like three RM-938's in house.

I doubt they come from China because this is a South American model. Mine came from Florida, by the way. And yes it's 32gb! :)

Hey jssmarathon,

I placed my order on March 11th (Tuesday of this week) at ~10:30am EDT and I had the FedEx Delivery Number on March 12th at ~11am EDT.

Hope this info helps!

I ordered the free ground shipping and it came express saver! :)

​-Collin-

kabel_mk

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Under the SIM tray and SD card tray I see:

Model: 1520.3 Type: RM-938 FCCID: PYAB IC661V

Between the SIM/SD I see: 0502 2125

Does this help?

​-Collin-
The product code on mine (ATT 32GB) is actually on the back of the SD card tray. On the back of the sd card tray on mine i see something like this:

CODE:
059V5B2
[some squared barcode]

Do you see something like this on the back of your sd card tray? "0502 2125" is 8-digit code and so far on every lumia phone Nokia was using 7-digit product code. I can't find anything if i search for "0502 2125".

Thank you in advance

CollinFX45

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
The product code on mine (ATT 32GB) is actually on the back of the SD card tray. On the back of the sd card tray on mine i see something like this:

CODE:
059V5B2
[some squared barcode]

Do you see something like this on the back of your sd card tray? "0502 2125" is 8-digit code and so far on every lumia phone Nokia was using 7-digit product code. I can't find anything if i search for "0502 2125".

Thank you in advance

Hilarious, that was the one thing I left out of my post thinking it was irrelevant!

​Code: 059V6X0

CollinFX45

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
The Unicorn has landed!

It has!

I think unfortunately there is one deal breaker for people that comes to mind: tethering on T-Mobile.

Unfortunately, this phone uses one of the ROMs that do now allow APN settings to be modified in the "Cellular" menu and also unfortunately, Access Point picks up the APN settings incorrectly for tethering. They are not user-configurable. There's a long thread on how to get tethering working on the AT&T version of the Lumia 920 that should solve the issue, but I get stuck at step three where you have to change the APN settings in the phone and NOT in the Access Point software. As of right now, I'm going to say tethering on T-Mobile will not work. If that's a deal-breaker, look elsewhere.

Sad for me because I use this feature somewhat regularly. :(

​-Collin-

jssmarathon

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
It has!

I think unfortunately there is one deal breaker for people that comes to mind: tethering on T-Mobile.

Unfortunately, this phone uses one of the ROMs that do now allow APN settings to be modified in the "Cellular" menu and also unfortunately, Access Point picks up the APN settings incorrectly for tethering. They are not user-configurable. There's a long thread on how to get tethering working on the AT&T version of the Lumia 920 that should solve the issue, but I get stuck at step three where you have to change the APN settings in the phone and NOT in the Access Point software. As of right now, I'm going to say tethering on T-Mobile will not work. If that's a deal-breaker, look elsewhere.

Sad for me because I use this feature somewhat regularly. :(

​-Collin-

Certainly interesting, I thought that might be a problem.

There is a thread in the 1520 subject matter about switching to Spanish-language and then switching back which somehow overrides the lack of Internet tethering issue. I know it sounds weird as it did to me. But have you tried that? Do a search on sure you'll find it.

CollinFX45

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Certainly interesting, I thought that might be a problem.

There is a thread in the 1520 subject matter about switching to Spanish-language and then switching back which somehow overrides the lack of Internet tethering issue. I know it sounds weird as it did to me. But have you tried that? Do a search on sure you'll find it.

That trick has been around for a while and it was first used on the Lumia 900 I think.

The problem is that being a South American model, it had the Spanish keyboard already in place by default! :(

Not sure what to do. It's not a deal-breaker for me, but for some I can imagine this will cause headache.

**sigh** Dangit Nokia. Dangit T-Mobile. Dangit AT&T. This could be so simple. This is one area where I wish Nokia was more like Apple. One or two skus and a middle finger to the carriers.

Happy Friday,

​-Collin-

jssmarathon

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
That trick has been around for a while and it was first used on the Lumia 900 I think.

The problem is that being a South American model, it had the Spanish keyboard already in place by default! :(

Not sure what to do. It's not a deal-breaker for me, but for some I can imagine this will cause headache.

**sigh** Dangit Nokia. Dangit T-Mobile. Dangit AT&T. This could be so simple. This is one area where I wish Nokia was more like Apple. One or two skus and a middle finger to the carriers.

Happy Friday,

​-Collin-

Colin you are so right about the companies and their attitudes towards the consumer. I understand the profit goals, but deliberate manipulation of the consumers in directions that they don't need to go I think is just unconscionable. And the problem is most consumers just follow it like sheep. That's why they can do it though, so we have to play the game.

It's going to be a long-term dealbreaker for me, for sure, but I'll try for a while. But I need Internet tethering quite badly. Only occasionally, but when I needed. I really need. Hope it's going to work with AT&T. Any info that you are anyone seems as to how to make sure it does. When I get this phone on Tuesday would greatly be appreciated. I haven't gone into the depths of the subject yet.

bizzy-glx

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Is anyone using the 938 on ATT?
Is internet sharing working?

Also, wonder if we will get the 8.1 update when it drops. Thoughts?

My RM-938 will be on AT&T. I should have it all set up by the end of this week.

On AT&T, we should be able to have the 8.1 updates. My current NL920 is a 32GB version, unlocked, purchased on Amazon, and I've always been able to obtain the updates.

jssmarathon

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
My RM-938 will be on AT&T. I should have it all set up by the end of this week.

On AT&T, we should be able to have the 8.1 updates. My current NL920 is a 32GB version, unlocked, purchased on Amazon, and I've always been able to obtain the updates.

That's great news all around!

Please let me know your progress and success with sharing.
That will be the icing on the cake for me!

CollinFX45

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Well it sounds like if there's a will there's a way. Still no solution yet on my end, but I'll keep pressing on.

Maybe flashing an AT&T ROM?

​-Collin-

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism