Finally!! Lumia 1520 RM-938 for sale!! BUT...

MrGoodSmith

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I ordered my RM-938 from the Canadian OmegaCell. Unfortunately Newegg doesn't provide Canadian shipping, and with the import fees, 13% taxes and lower value of the Canadian dollar these days I would end up paying almost the same amount. I ordered also the nano sim cutter. Can't wait to have them both in my hands.

bizzy-glx

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I just cut my sim with a scissors and then used one of my wife's nail file things and it worked fine until I got my replacement sim from operator. Just be careful not to cut too much off, that's why I used the file. You can take more off it but you can't put some on to it, as my father used to say, "measure twice and cut once"

No doubt. My SIM card's service is tied to my company's AT&T plan, and our telecom team is impossible to deal with, especially regarding BYOD stuff. They love the little bit of control they have and milk it for all it's worth.

Anyway, I popped into an AT&T store, which happens to be about 100 feet from my company's HQ, and asked about the possibility of them transferring service from the micro-SIM in my 920 to a nano-SIM.

Their answer was funny, but actually really helpful (I'll paraphrase a bit). "We used to help you guys out all the time, but they just cut us off from your company's account. Go see the guys at the cell phone store in the mall up the street, they cut SIMs all the time. Just in case, take this nano-SIM with you in case you still want to try and get your telecom team to transfer the service over".

So, I'm headed up on Monday to have the pro's at the mall cut my SIM.

MrGoodSmith

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I've ordered mine from Omega Cell as well but don't expect to have it until Monday/Tuesday. I'm in Ontario and it will take 3-4 days since I didn't want to pay for next day shipping. Soon as I receive it, then I will go to Wind to buy Nano SIM and (or cut existing SIM) and start using this awesome phone !
You seem to have ordered one day ahead of me. I am in Ontario as well (Toronto). Let us know when you receive the phone, and what you think of it.

Want1520RM-938

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Went to Wind already to pick up the Nano SIM. I can then activate it soon as I get the phone. Hope there are no issues. I've read that tethering might be a problem but apparently there is a work around. Crossing fingers for seamless trouble free functionality. Can't wait !

Opinador Objetivo

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Thanks guys for posting all this information, very helpful!

Now, it appears RED color option is exclusive for AT&T phones because all stores mentioned here, carrying the RM-938, do not offer the phone in red, how annoying is that!!

raruhs

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

Yesterday I got the lumia! it is great.. today i went to AT&T to get the new sim as the old one was not possible to cut to nano. It work like a charm. No issues.. it gets LTE and I also was able to manage to work the internet sharing via installing the spanish language. I still have the grandfathered unlimited plan, so it will be great to test how it works.

Phone came with English, Spanish (Mexico) and Portuguese installed, so I have to install the Spanish (Spain), as this phone is intended to be used in Latin America in order to get the internet sharing to work.

Want1520RM-938

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Received my 1520 today as well. I was grinning from ear to ear. The courier driver couldn't believe how fast I answered the door !

So activated the Nano SIM from Windmobile I bought the other day (took two minutes). Then popped it in, turned on the phone, and Spanish ! Good thing I know a bit of Spanish !! I set the phone to US English, Region to Canada, phone re-booted and everything works !!!!

No issues with tethering or anything. I'm on a $40/month unlimited everything plan (includes North American calling, global texting, etc), so I'm set with this new toy for a long long time !

I have everything running perfectly, Facebook, Instagram, Lync (office connection), Skype, work email, Hotmail, Gmail, OnStar App. Battery is almost out, but it wasn't fully charged to start with and I've been using it constanly. Will give it a full charge tonight. the screen is just awesome and the pictures are fantastic. Now waiting to get a case, memory card, and QI charger pad (all ordered).

Let me know if you have questions, I'll try to answer quickly.

Ian Hanson

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
Hehe, I'm happy for you, especially considering your user name! Mine is set to arrive tomorrow but I'm out of the country for 3 more weeks so I will just have to enjoy the experience vicariously until then. Curious to hear if your unit has any of the touch screen sensitivity or brightness adjustment bugs that have been talked about on other threads.

Posted via the WPC App

Want1520RM-938

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Hehe, I'm happy for you, especially considering your user name! Mine is set to arrive tomorrow but I'm out of the country for 3 more weeks so I will just have to enjoy the experience vicariously until then. Curious to hear if your unit has any of the touch screen sensitivity or brightness adjustment bugs that have been talked about on other threads.

Posted via the WPC App

No ... No issues with Touch or Brightness. Seems to be working fine. :)

bizzy-glx

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

Yesterday I got the lumia! it is great.. today i went to AT&T to get the new sim as the old one was not possible to cut to nano. It work like a charm. No issues.. it gets LTE and I also was able to manage to work the internet sharing via installing the spanish language. I still have the grandfathered unlimited plan, so it will be great to test how it works.

Phone came with English, Spanish (Mexico) and Portuguese installed, so I have to install the Spanish (Spain), as this phone is intended to be used in Latin America in order to get the internet sharing to work.

That is good new raruh. So you could not cut the micro-sim into a nano-sim?

MrGoodSmith

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Received my unicorn today 😃 Unfortunately I have to go to work now so will spend more time on it this evening. I just unboxed it and turned it on for the first time.

I noticed a tiny gap at the bottom of the screen, is that normal?

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb