How are you downloading Video onto the phone

Phil Hendy1

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
I think we can all agree that this is a kick *** phone. The biggest issue i have is putting videos on the phone. I have a Skydrive account, Dropbox account and an Amazon Cloud drive account. The SkyDrive app allows access but gives no options for downloading of videos, and Amazon and Dropbox dont even have a WP app in the store. There are third party Dropbox apps but like the Skydrive app there is no video download options! All this means is for new people to the WP platform you are faced with connecting to a PC physically to transfer your video media - this is so backward in this wireless age, android and ios do this with zero fuss. You should know i asked Paul Thurrot the same question and he to drew a blank with his only answer being he thinks its a design feature!!! He said he will chase with MSFT and get back to me, he did agree this sort of thing should just work. So my question ladies and gents is what is your solution - if there is one ?

Jf.Vigor

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I think we can all agree that this is a kick *** phone. The biggest issue i have is putting videos on the phone. I have a Skydrive account, Dropbox account and an Amazon Cloud drive account. The SkyDrive app allows access but gives no options for downloading of videos, and Amazon and Dropbox dont even have a WP app in the store. There are third party Dropbox apps but like the Skydrive app there is no video download options! All this means is for new people to the WP platform you are faced with connecting to a PC physically to transfer your video media - this is so backward in this wireless age, android and ios do this with zero fuss. You should know i asked Paul Thurrot the same question and he to drew a blank with his only answer being he thinks its a design feature!!! He said he will chase with MSFT and get back to me, he did agree this sort of thing should just work. So my question ladies and gents is what is your solution - if there is one ?
Third party apps don't get access to the video library. Sucks I know
But I just plug my 1520 into my surface and drag and drop the videos that way. Watched Riddick the other day. Will be watching Kick *** 2 tonight

manomic

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site

There is an app called MoliPlayer (Both free and paid versions are available) The main functionality is to play almost all media formats like MKV, AVI, MOV etc but there is more to it. The app can be used to transfer stuff through WIFI. The target can be the app's storage or the camera roll folder in the phone. I tried to transfer a video to the camera roll folder and voila it gets transferred. The MoliPlayer app can recognize the video but no other application would as the system as such does not recognize (even a mp4 file). But hey atleast u can transfer stuff and watch.. more than what you'd need.. The transfer rate is around 2-3 MBs a second. You drag and drop files on a browser(Firefox is supported).

Phil Hendy1

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
Manomic, thanks for that. You said that only Moliplayer can play the MP4 once it has been transferred into the camera roll folder, what file types does the built in player support? If I get a video (mp4) in an email for instance playback by the built in video player works, why not in the camera roll ?

manomic

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Manomic, thanks for that. You said that only Moliplayer can play the MP4 once it has been transferred into the camera roll folder, what file types does the built in player support? If I get a video (mp4) in an email for instance playback by the built in video player works, why not in the camera roll ?

The built in player does play MP4 files but only when the file is saved in camera roll in a valid way like copying using a cable, recorded video etc. Somehow when a file is transferred using Moliplayer's Wifi option, the system does not recognize it but the moliplayer does.
I have observed this behaviour with files when the files are renamed using the windows explorer in the MTP mode, they are not recognized by the system. I guess only files that are routed through the WP8's native apps are recognized. Hence only moliplayer recognizes the files transferred into Camera Roll using its Wifi option

Phil Hendy1

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
The built in player does play MP4 files but only when the file is saved in camera roll in a valid way like copying using a cable, recorded video etc. Somehow when a file is transferred using Moliplayer's Wifi option, the system does not recognize it but the moliplayer does.
I have observed this behaviour with files when the files are renamed using the windows explorer in the MTP mode, they are not recognized by the system. I guess only files that are routed through the WP8's native apps are recognized. Hence only moliplayer recognizes the files transferred into Camera Roll using its Wifi option

Thanks for clearing that up, MSFT really need to stop copying Apple when it comes to restrictions like this as it damages the user experience and slows/stops adoption of what is otherwise a nice OS!

Jarip

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
Just adding here, that it does need to be Camera Roll on SD card - any folder is OK on SD card - and you can move files to SD card by MoliPlayer

Phil Hendy1

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
Just adding here, that it does need to be Camera Roll on SD card - any folder is OK on SD card - and you can move files to SD card by MoliPlayer

Jarip, Would you please list a step by step guide on how i would be able to store a video received by email using moliplayer, I do have all my current media and settings for saving to my SD card, thanks very much.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3