Has anyone disassembled their 1520?

Klemen Nemivsek

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
If its impossible why they selling digitizers ? I ordered one frome ebay and i will will try replace it alone. Impossible is not the right world here but its extremly hard.

livejazz

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
There are independent repair facilities that are buying those digitizers from the eBay sellers. They have the capability to bond the digitizer to the LCD. This is special equipment and materials that aren't cheap.

Games Goblin

May 26, 2013
Visit site
I don't think it is impossible to separate the LCD and screen. BUT, it is very hard to get it done right by people like us who mostly have no experience/proper tools to get it done. Cellphone repair experts should be able to do it and as livejazz said, they have proper know-who of how it is to be done. I believe they use something called LOCA glue to fuse the new glass to the LCD, and from some youtube videos I have seen, they treat it with UV light to make the glue set properly. Here is an excellent video which demonstrates the process of separating the glass from the LCD of a lumia 920: Link to video

For more information on how it is done, just search around on youtube for videos demonstrating glass only replacement for devices. for ex. search for "Galaxy s4 glass only replacement"

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone know where I can get the tool they had for separating the coloured part away from the screen. The thing that looks like a frame that fits around the phone. I was thinking of getting a couple of spare backs in white and yellow so that I can interchange them.

I can't fine anything on the nets about it except it is called SS-321

tmltknt

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
What I know, is that the digitizer is bonded to the glass (with LOCA). But is the digitizer bonded additionally to the lcd, or are they separate like in 920?

Bought a 1520 with a smashed screen from the bay and I'd like to get some information before things get dirty :D

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I believe someone cited the Service Manual (a few posts above) a good read of that might furnish your answer (while watching the video).

A quick glance tells me NO, as they don't break down the Display Assembly - it stays as one piece !! I'd buy the complete assembly & replace that, there may have been some damage below the digitizer. (I believe the service manual references it as one piece !)

Lessons Learned : I dropped my Lumia 920 & had to have the digitizer replaced. Repair shop (they referenced experience with this unit) ruined it & bought me a new one (a completely other story of about 5 weeks) ... issue was getting the digitizer to adhere to the LCD assembly. Heat (from the unit under stress - gaming) subverted the seal, upper right hand corner, whacked the prox sensor. It was all downhill from there, they glued the digitizer, but got glue on the prox sensor & finally bricked the phone after the umpteenth time taking it apart.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss