Guide and advice for newbies when installing updates (Black and so on...)

NightOrchid

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
I wanted to post this flashing up to help newbies and the unsure on here:

A common issue caused to nearly every phone.. Android, WP8 and iPhone when youve installed a major firmware and software overhaul is crashes, lockups, and odd hardware app behaviour. In order to minimize this.. its a good idea to do a full system overhaul on a major update, so I hope this helps you:

When you install a new OS.. remains of the old OS can left in the system/ hard drive cache.. also the phone itself now works and runs differently on a new build/update.. If you dont do a reset after the install, you are in effect trying to run the new OS with parts of the old OS still installed. Also there will be Firmware (hardware) updates.. which are only fully functional on a fresh install and reset
So:
Charge battery to 100% and Unless you have an Unlimited 4G data plan, Activate WiFi

1) Back all your phone up - Photos, Music, playlists, Goto settings and sync Google and Live accounts to back up any new contacts or changes to the cloud.
2) Remove sim card - if you store your contcts on your sim.. the update may affect the sim and how it works under the new update.
3) Once all thats done, Check and Install your new updates.. there may be 2 or 3 consecutive updates so once the phone reboots after each seperate update, go back to settings > Phone Update and keep checking after every until your phone says "your phone is up-to-date. OTA (Over the air Updates) can take along time and sometimes the phone may sem as if its just sitting there or locked up.. Just leave it.. its working.
4) Now that your phone says "Up-to-Date", Go into Settings > About > Reset your device.. WP8 is not Android, now this part can take a long whlie (with the 2 turning gears) upto 10 mins.. If your impatient.. or your a fiddler.. go make a cup of tea to prevent you having a heart attack after 30 seconds.
5) As some updates require a reboot and reset to work, When your phone Restarts.. goto Settings > Phone Update and check again to make sure that theres not a 2nd hardware overhaul.
6) When its up-to-date.. connect to wifi and download your backups SMS/ Accounts/ and so on.. and re-insert sim card.
7) When its all back and running reboot your phone again to make sure its all registered
8) When theres a new software update, theres usually new apps for it.. however, the apps come from the store and these can take upto 24 hours for the phone to "talk to" the store/xbox live or Nokia account.. So be patient.

Hope that helps newbies or everyone

Last edited:

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
I've never reset my device to factory settings after an update and it says up-to-date, this seems redundant and I've never had an issue when I haven't.
Why then? :smile:

NightOrchid

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
I've never reset my device to factory settings after an update and it says up-to-date, this seems redundant and I've never had an issue when I haven't.
Why then?

----------------------------------------

What relevance does this have to this thread?

Last edited:

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Format my PC and take 2 days to set things up again no thanks, living is more important :smile:
but thanks for the info some of it is useful to me.

NightOrchid

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Hey Im trying to help people here so..

Why are you wasting your life posting on this thread, just get on with living because this thread clearley doesnt apply to you :smile:

Last edited:

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Hey Im trying to help people here so..

Why are you wasting your life posting on this thread, just get on with living because this thread clearley doesnt apply to you :smile:

Someone has to respond, clearly no one who needs this advice has. :wink: or they don't want to be known as a N00b, newb, newbie, nob et al.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
This is more or less irrelevant advice even though I appreciate you writing the post. I used WP7 from 2010 to 2012, not one soft reset, forget hard resets.

Been using WP8 since day 1, have only done two phone restarts on prompt after installing updates. WP DOES NOT need hard resets after update.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 925 rocking WP8 update 3 topped with Lumia Black.

NightOrchid

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
This is more or less irrelevant advice even though I appreciate you writing the post. I used WP7 from 2010 to 2012, not one soft reset, forget hard resets.

Been using WP8 since day 1, have only done two phone restarts on prompt after installing updates. WP DOES NOT need hard resets after update.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 925 rocking WP8 update 3 topped with Lumia Black.

<<Sighs>> and rolls eyes at the both of you... Oh dear God, theres just no hope really . ... I give up..

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett