Worse battery life after some updates

Boev92

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Hi, i have battery issues after some updates on my HERE maps, display, accessories, Cinemagraph, Creative Studio, acces point, network, extras info, feedback, storage check, transfer my data, audio, HERE Drive, Photo beamer, Nokia care, Tucan reader, Connectivity tiles.

My mobile internet was slow and I had to charge my phone at the same time I was downloading the updates. I got the updates before the phone was fully charged. After the phone was on 100% of his capacity, the battery started to drop quicker than ussual.

For the past 11 hours my battery dropped from 100% to 82% without even using the phone. I ussualy charge my phone late at night and unplug him before I go to bed. On the next morning my battery is still on 100%.

But after the updates I mentioned, the battery drop rate is like 2% in a hour which is too much according to my previous experience with the phone. Do u know how I can fix this?

I had similar problem 3 weeks ago and I fixed it after a hard reset, but I dont want to do this again, because bI dont think it will be good for the phone. What about a soft reset? How should I dow a soft reset on my phone?

Any other suggestions?

Sebastianx

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi, i have battery issues after some updates on my HERE maps, display, accessories, Cinemagraph, Creative Studio, acces point, network, extras info, feedback, storage check, transfer my data, audio, HERE Drive, Photo beamer, Nokia care, Tucan reader, Connectivity tiles.

My mobile internet was slow and I had to charge my phone at the same time I was downloading the updates. I got the updates before the phone was fully charged. After the phone was on 100% of his capacity, the battery started to drop quicker than ussual.

For the past 11 hours my battery dropped from 100% to 82% without even using the phone. I ussualy charge my phone late at night and unplug him before I go to bed. On the next morning my battery is still on 100%.

But after the updates I mentioned, the battery drop rate is like 2% in a hour which is too much according to my previous experience with the phone. Do u know how I can fix this?

I had similar problem 3 weeks ago and I fixed it after a hard reset, but I dont want to do this again, because bI dont think it will be good for the phone. What about a soft reset? How should I dow a soft reset on my phone?

Any other suggestions?

Try turning on the battery saver and set it at always. You can soft reset your phone by holding the power button and volume down button at the same time for 10 or more seconds.

Boev92

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
The battery saver was off, when I had a better battery life. The thing is that my battery drain is too fast when I dont use the phone. When I use the device - movies, browsing - it seems that the battery drain is as ussual. I will try a soft reset later, but I dont think it will work.

Any other suggestions?

benny142

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
go to settings --> background tasks. See how many of them are running. Too many apps running in background will drain your battery pretty fast.

Boev92

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Еverything is off. By everything I mean everything. That is why I had a good battery life before the updates. The settings are the same.

benny142

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Also check if you have a good cellular reception. Lot of users complained about battrey drain when their cellular network kept toggling b/w 2g/3g/4g. But then you wouldnt have had a good battery life at the first place...

Try setting it to lowest connection speed and if that helps!

Boev92

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
And one other thing - can someone tell me the best way to recharge the phone?

Let the battery drop below 20%, 30% or 40%?

Stay plugged whole night?

kojakki

May 26, 2013
Visit site
I have actually noticed same thing on my 925, after Black update. Also it's quite common that after Here Drive update it enables background tasks again for it.

I noticed my phone phone was taking some 20% in night (7-8 hrs.), some times even more. Occasionally only 4%... I mean wtf, I dont use glance and only have few apps in background: WPCentral, Weather Flow, Facebook and Chronos Cal . So I hard reset the phone and gave it to my daughter for few days to play with, it's still losing 20 to 30% on night which are the first nights after hard resetting the phone, she has no glance, no background tasks, no anything. Untouched phone hogging 2that much battery per hour.... I mean i've occasionally had weird drains on night when 50% went just like that and unless i'm playing with the phone on my sleep I think something's wrong with the OS, big time.

Joene90

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Two things you could try:

- Open up the apps that were recently updated. For some weird reason this could help decrease battery drain.

- Set the phone to flight mode, then turn it off. Wait for a minute or two, turn it back on and take it off flight mode. I do this every now and then when I notice increased battery drain and it seems to work. Don't ask me why, but over the past year or so I think I've had to do this 3 times and it worked every time :)

Joene90

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Background Task. That's why. Always keep your eyes on apps in Background Tasks.

Not necissarily. My opinion is that when you buy a smartphone you don't want to disable all its functionality just so that you can use it for more than a few hours. I consider it a bug if you can't use basic functions of the phone.

I have never turned off any background tasks and my battery saver only kicks in when battery hits 20% which it rarely does. I usually unplug my phone in the morning (between 6.00 and 7.00) and plug it back in around midnight with about 30%-40% battery left. I use it for emailing, whatsapp, calling, tracking runs, downloading and listening to podcasts on a daily basis. Only trick I ever used is the one I described before.

One thing I also find (which is kind of weird) is that when I charge my phone either wireless or through the cable and it hits 100%, the phone is still a little warm. If I unplug it immediately the battery will start to drop sooner than if I let it in for a longer period. When I charge it overnight, it will go for about 2-3 hours at 100%.

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Not necissarily. My opinion is that when you buy a smartphone you don't want to disable all its functionality just so that you can use it for more than a few hours. I consider it a bug if you can't use basic functions of the phone.

I have never turned off any background tasks and my battery saver only kicks in when battery hits 20% which it rarely does. I usually unplug my phone in the morning (between 6.00 and 7.00) and plug it back in around midnight with about 30%-40% battery left. I use it for emailing, whatsapp, calling, tracking runs, downloading and listening to podcasts on a daily basis. Only trick I ever used is the one I described before.

One thing I also find (which is kind of weird) is that when I charge my phone either wireless or through the cable and it hits 100%, the phone is still a little warm. If I unplug it immediately the battery will start to drop sooner than if I let it in for a longer period. When I charge it overnight, it will go for about 2-3 hours at 100%.

I agree, but It's highly recomended to any smartphone (Android, IOS or WP) keep Background Tasks clean as possible. Keep only really important apps that really need this function, like Viber, Whatsapp and others.

Here Drive+ uses a LOT of battery juice, if you do not use regularly, I recommend always off.

80% of a lithium battery charged on few minutes. Others 20% take longer. Maybe that's why you see better battery life when you put on charge all night. 2~3 hours at 100% is a bug, happens with my fathers 920 and my coworker 720. But never with me, 820 and now a 925.

Joene90

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
I agree, but It's highly recomended to any smartphone (Android, IOS or WP) keep Background Tasks clean as possible. Keep only really important apps that really need this function, like Viber, Whatsapp and others.

Here Drive+ uses a LOT of battery juice, if you do not use regularly, I recommend always off.

80% of a lithium battery charged on few minutes. Others 20% take longer. Maybe that's why you see better battery life when you put on charge all night. 2~3 hours at 100% is a bug, happens with my fathers 920 and my coworker 720. But never with me, 820 and now a 925.
Absolutely, if it helps; keep it clean.. But if it starts feeling like a chore I feel like if I have to manage my smartphone so much it's no longer the phone that's smart, but myself.

Yeah I kinda figured the 2-3 hours at 100% wasn't real, however it does seem to last longer if I keep the phone charging past the initial 100%. Like I said, it's also kind of warm when it's fully charged so I just figured it might still be running some processes that take some battery life right away, whereas if it's cooled down it is really "done". Kinda vague but I hope that makes sense :p

Boev92

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
It seems that the problem with the big battery drain without using the phone has gone (in my case).

I got the Black update, the phone restarted automatically and now my batter (even with glance turned on) is on 100% on the next morning (I ussualy charge my phone late at night).

Now, I am curios about the batter drain on yours 925, when you are:

Browsing (mine is abouth 20-25% ph)
Watching movies (15-16% ph)
Listening music (2% ph)
Playing games (maybe more than 30%...)

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I did a test a few weeks ago with both the 925 and my Sony Xperia Z1 where I browsed the same website and the same pages for the same amount of time on each phone with both set to automatic brightness. I wasn't loged into the sites by the way.

They worked out at 19% per hour for the 925 and 16% per hour for the Z1 which I think was quite close considering size of the battery in the Z1

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I did a test a few weeks ago with both the 925 and my Sony Xperia Z1 where I browsed the same website and the same pages for the same amount of time on each phone with both set to automatic brightness. I wasn't loged into the sites by the way.

They worked out at 19% per hour for the 925 and 16% per hour for the Z1 which I think was quite close considering size of the battery in the Z1

So the z1 uses more battery. By 100mah an hour. Not that bad considering screen and Android, but the updated specs should've been more efficient.

eruptflail

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
2% an hour is really good. That means you can get 50 hours out of your phone, so two days and some change. I think the issue is less with your phone and more with your expectations of your phone. Smartphones should be charged nightly. They're designed to operate that way. Also, batteries will not charge to 100%, the software stops them, because keeping a li-ion battery at 100% does damage to the battery. What will happen when you take your phone off the charger is that the battery will quickly drop several percentages. Within 20 or so minutes you should be at around 95-97 percent, depending on how much you use it right away.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon