Nokia Pro Camera vs Default Camera

TechFranz

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
I updated to the very latest Nokia Pro Camera on my 1520 and noticed the following:
-The .RAW file taken with 16MP camera does not sync to Skydrive(no doubt because it's so huge)
-The 16MP .RAW pictures are not overly phenomenal.
-The PhotoGallery does not allow me to swipe through the pictures in full screen mode, because each one needs to be tagged "Shot with Nokia Pro Camera."

In the comparison the Default Windows Phone Camera:
-Takes quick, easy and crisper photos than the Nokia Pro Camera.
-Uploads to SkyDrive no problem.
-Allows me to swipe through the Photo Gallery in full screen mode.

Why would I use the Nokia Pro Camera App if the default one takes better pictures?

sym1a1a

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I updated to the very latest Nokia Pro Camera on my 1520 and noticed the following:
-The .RAW file taken with 16MP camera does not sync to Skydrive(no doubt because it's so huge)
-The 16MP .RAW pictures are not overly phenomenal.
-The PhotoGallery does not allow me to swipe through the pictures in full screen mode, because each one needs to be tagged "Shot with Nokia Pro Camera."

In the comparison the Default Windows Phone Camera:
-Takes quick, easy and crisper photos than the Nokia Pro Camera.
-Uploads to SkyDrive no problem.
-Allows me to swipe through the Photo Gallery in full screen mode.

Why would I use the Nokia Pro Camera App if the default one takes better pictures?

this is subjective, the pro camera is really designed for individuals who prefer total control of the picture (shutter speed, iso white balance ect) and do alot of post editing of their pictures, if, like you describe, you just want to "click and post" then the default camera app IS better suited for your usage, you can change the default app to launch when you activate the camera, the pro camera DOES take better quality pictures, its just that alot of people dont know how to "use" them properly, to change the default app when activating the camera go to Settings>applications>photo+camera and change under "pressing the camerea button opens" this can also be changed in the settings if your already in the camera app

6029KingStephen

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
One big difference in functionality for me is Nokia Camera's ability to focus close-in. I often take photos of results sheets at sports events, and the built in camera can't do that as it can't focus, whereas with the Nokia Camera app I can set it so an A4 page fills the screen and it focuses clearly and gives a great result. I know that's a bit of an obscure requirement but it makes the difference to me.

MegamanXtreme

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
When there was a Lunar Eclipse, I was trying to zoom in to take a picture. The Default Camera was able to zoom in more than the Nokia Pro Cam, must be just my phone.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Wait, are you talking about "Nokia Camera" version 4.5.1.7 or is there another "Nokia Pro Camera" app?

Also is anyone using the "Nokia Camera Beta" version 4.6.3.8?

I like Nokia Camera since it lets you get to Lenses a lot faster.

o4komodo

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
When there was a Lunar Eclipse, I was trying to zoom in to take a picture. The Default Camera was able to zoom in more than the Nokia Pro Cam, must be just my phone.
It may/may not be as clear as the Nokia Pro Camera. I noticed on my L920 that it could zoom in further than my L1520 too which was weird... but the clarity of the photo wasn't the same.

Also in Nokia Pro Camera after taking a photo fully zoomed in... you can go back and zoom out of the photo. Then, if you'd like, zoom back in elsewhere in the picture.

Shredcow

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Don't forget that Nokia Pro Camera allows oversampling when shooting the 5mpx photos. It makes a difference in picture quality.

Also, zooming on Nokia Pro Camera is "loss-less" compared to the typical lossy digital zoom on the Default Camera. You will get better quality zooming on Nokia Pro Camera. Unfortunately, due to this loss-less zoom, Nokia Pro Camera limits the zoom to somewhere between 2x to 3x, depending on the aspect ratio selected.

It's worth reading up on why the Lumia 1520 has a camera with the Pureview label. Have a read here - http://i.nokia.com/blob/view/-/2723846/data/1/-/Lumia1020-whitepaper.pdf - it's the same technology, just with lesser specs compared to the 1020.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss