Focus assist - Is it useful?

AbhishekS319

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
I wanna click some closeups of my sister's new born child. Flashed turned off obviously as I don't wanna stress his eyes.

Now, the flash still fires if the flash is off. I did a search and came across that it is due to focus assist and the flash won't fire if focus assist is off?

So how useful is focus assist and how does it help in taking good pictures? What effect will turning it off have on my pictures?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
focus assist is use when the scene is too dark and the camera needs a light point to focus on.
yes you can turn it off but if your environment is too dark it may results in blurry pictures.
taking photos in normal lighting should not make the focus assist fire.

I usually have mine off because I usually take pictures in good lighting and want to stay discrete

nagatofm

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
So basically turning it off will have absolutely NO EFFECT on photos clicked in sufficient light?

Yep, because it's only used if there's not enough light to focus.
Lumia cameras focus on some contrast point. That's why it need "focus assist light" to focus on objects in low light environment.

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Camera can not focus in dark so there is an option for focus assit light. YES you can turn this of when you are capturing photos in sufficient light.
(I too took some pictures of my nephew he was just 4hours and dr recommended not to fire flash , so I turned of both flash and focus assist light. And the images were great,will show him in future ;). )

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)