ATT vs. Verizon

Matthew Moore4

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
So posted a similar item in the 1520 forum, but have a slightly different question:

I am currently a Verizon customer who has already made the decision to switch when my upgrade comes up early 2014 to Windows. I've played with them in the store, read the reviews, and am ready to make the leap.

My major decision now is whether to wait until the Lumia Icon comes out on Verizon or make the switch to ATT for the larger 1520. I won't repeat my question about the usability of screen size on the 1520, but I will ask...

for those of you who have been on both carriers: A) Which one is faster? B) Which one is more dependable and C) Which one caters better to Windows Phones (I think I know the answer to C).

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
A and B are going to depend on location. Are you in a big city or a rural area? Do you travel a lot? You are probably better off asking your neighbours and co-workers where you live and travel what their experiences are like with both carriers.

Matthew Moore4

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
By decent, are you speaking to coverage area, or network speed? I thought the old adage was that Verizon was more reliable but that ATT (where available) was faster. Again, I have no idea... only ever been with Verizon, and wondering if the grass is greener.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
By decent, are you speaking to coverage area, or network speed? I thought the old adage was that Verizon was more reliable but that ATT (where available) was faster. Again, I have no idea... only ever been with Verizon, and wondering if the grass is greener.

Mostly coverage area. I can't speak to speed in terms of data. For most of my time as a smartphone user I've been prone to be in WiFi anyway.

But when it comes to coverage, Verizon is noticeably more viable and reliable than AT&T in my area. And as someone who travel frequently for work, mainly to Cali and Texas, the same seems to be true there.

anon(5343177)

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't know about your area. I bought a go phone (Lumia 520) to try service. Unfortunately for my area, AT&T was simply too spotty compared to Verizon. So it cost me about 35 bucks to try (I returned the phone to Target). If you wish to try something like this it is easier than getting into and out of a contract. Also a local large retailer seems to be t greatest email easiest route too.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

mtalinm

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
My first cellphone was on ATT in 1999. When they rolled out their GSM (EDGE) network in 2000 things went haywire. Reception was so bad that my boss insisted I switch to Verizon (I was on call for tech support). Thus began my love affair with VZW. For years I laughed at my Apple-phone friends as they complained about ATT's crappy coverage.

Then, sometime last year or maybe the year before, ATT seemed to catch up in terms of coverage and dropped calls - maybe even speed. For the first time, I thought about switching to ATT (for the 1020). Some days I wish I had, as I looooove the 1020 camera. But I had unlimited data on VZW and was not about to lose that (have used 8G this month so far).

Verizon recently admitted that they allowed their LTE network to get overloaded, and they announced plans for a new network (AWS, I think it is called) in major metros. But you have to get a new-ish phone to get it. 929 will surely have AWS support, and 928 will though it requires an upgrade, and I'm sure they won't upgrade it until after 929 is out. Rumor has it that AWS will have 70-80Mbps, which is very tasty. But that will probably go down over time.

Historically ATT has been the best for winphones, but I think the Icon 929 will change some perceptions as it promises to be the sweet spot between the 1020 and 1520. it's certainly the phone I'll be getting.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I live in the Tampa Bay are and where I work (across the bay) the building tends to knock AT&T users to less or no signal than VZW. There are parts of the building where I still get signal where AT&T users don't. Simply put, VZW users are generally going to have a better signal in most places in the country, especially outside of the cities. But, the best thing to do is to ask some friends/co-workers, who have AT&T how their signal strength is in the areas you travel and work in. I'm in a similar boat as you. I see the 1020 and just drool wanting that camera. But, I have a feeling the 929/Icon is going to be the perfect compromise device for me. A such I will wait (already several months out of contract).

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Verizon all the way for me. I travel a lot and when I'm going through the swamps of Louisiana or the plains of Texas I like having signal. I also like to go to Destin, FL at least once a year and yes ATT did fail me because of repeated loss reception. In big areas like where I live in the heart of Houston. ATT is a bit faster than Verizon I admit but is a little speed at the loss of reliability worth it? Only you can answer that question. As for windows phone. I see many models on ATT and only a few on Verizon but I am not one to be picky with phones. I love my HTC 8X even if I dont get app folder support =(

Carib1964

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I live in Staten Island NY and have been with Verizon for a few years and the signal quality has always been great. However the biggest advantage to Verizon is that all of their LTE phones are GSM unlock which allows me to travel anywhere with my phone. Don't need the bull with ATT to get my phone unlocked.

Last edited:

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Just make sure you stay in Atlanta. AT&T coverage gets sketch when you get past the burbs

THIS.

I live in Flowery Branch, and work in Norcross. At work, I could use any of the big four (or MVNOs). At home, Verizon is the only one I can use. ATT/TMO/Sprint all drop sitting in the living room (the step-daughter has this problem when she visits, and she's been on Sprint as well as MVNOs on TMO and ATT). At my dining table, someone using a laptop with ATT SIM kept losing her connection. But I get four bars of LTE on Verizon. Three in the basement.

Matthew Moore4

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Definitely seems, given the quality of the coverage, that sticking with Verizon is probably best bet. Think I speak for all when I say I'm ready for this stinkin' phone to come out. Me wants.

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Simply put, VZW users are generally going to have a better signal in most places in the country, especially outside of the cities.

Unfortunately you didn't post anything that supports this statement. I've traveled a fair bit around lower New England and there is at&t LTE service all over the place. I've never had any problems with call quality. I can't say which is better across the entire United States... and neither can most people. I think the idea of getting a 520 and trying it out in a bunch of places you actually go is the best idea. I wouldn't give up unlimited data based on a few stories on the internet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6