All about Lumia Black for 920: Excitement, Bugs, User Experiences

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naren Parker

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
I had the error that the update could not be opened as well. But finally managed to install GDR3+Black on Indian 920. Took a little while to install though. I haven't particularly noticed massive battery drains as some people have reported. In fact, I find lesser drain happening when on 3G/H+ which wasn't the case earlier. Its pretty stable when on 3G standby. I believe the switching between 3G and H+ has been optimized which is showing a positive effect on the battery. Live tiles have finally started working albeit only when I connect to the internet. I don't understand why a battery tile should require the internet to update the battery status. But at least they are working now. The overall fluidity of the interface seems to have gotten better. Its slicker than ever before. However, there are a few things that are not pretty -

1. WhatsApp crashes every time upon start. I could not even open the app. I had to temporarily use Hike and Viber for IM. Uninstalled and re-installed and its working now. But sadly some older messages have vanished. :(
2. The settings page of the Music+Videos hub has become corrupted. I wanted to open the settings page and voila! - no settings to tap on. Don't know if this is an isolated issue. Since there is no way to "re-install" GDR3 update without doing a hard reset, I am trying to live with it. Would welcome if anybody has any suggestions for this. I cannot afford to hard reset the device right now.
3. The Bing search app suddenly stopped updating its image. It earlier used to update the image daily whenever I connect to the internet. Now its stopped altogether. But the lockscreen Bing wallpaper is getting updated regularly. I really don't get what could be the solution for this. Let me know if you have experienced this at sometime or the other as well.

So that's my experience. Will post if I notice anything else.

hope4wp

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
I had the error that the update could not be opened as well. But finally managed to install GDR3+Black on Indian 920. Took a little while to install though. I haven't particularly noticed massive battery drains as some people have reported. In fact, I find lesser drain happening when on 3G/H+ which wasn't the case earlier. Its pretty stable when on 3G standby. I believe the switching between 3G and H+ has been optimized which is showing a positive effect on the battery. Live tiles have finally started working albeit only when I connect to the internet. I don't understand why a battery tile should require the internet to update the battery status. But at least they are working now. The overall fluidity of the interface seems to have gotten better. Its slicker than ever before. However, there are a few things that are not pretty -

1. WhatsApp crashes every time upon start. I could not even open the app. I had to temporarily use Hike and Viber for IM. Uninstalled and re-installed and its working now. But sadly some older messages have vanished. :(
2. The settings page of the Music+Videos hub has become corrupted. I wanted to open the settings page and voila! - no settings to tap on. Don't know if this is an isolated issue. Since there is no way to "re-install" GDR3 update without doing a hard reset, I am trying to live with it. Would welcome if anybody has any suggestions for this. I cannot afford to hard reset the device right now.
3. The Bing search app suddenly stopped updating its image. It earlier used to update the image daily whenever I connect to the internet. Now its stopped altogether. But the lockscreen Bing wallpaper is getting updated regularly. I really don't get what could be the solution for this. Let me know if you have experienced this at sometime or the other as well.

So that's my experience. Will post if I notice anything else.

I have bugs with WhatsApp.....must be a problem with WhatsApp....wait for an update..!! and you should have done a message backup before uninstalling it :)
I don't have any settings for Music + Videos too
wp_ss_20140118_0008.jpg
No problems with Bing as for now :) it updates the images regularly

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I have bugs with WhatsApp.....must be a problem with WhatsApp....wait for an update..!! and you should have done a message backup before uninstalling it :)
I don't have any settings for Music + Videos too
View attachment 54766
No problems with Bing as for now :) it updates the images regularly

the reason you don't have settings for Xbox music , the service is not available in your region/country same applies to my phone/country.

Joene90

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
The Bing issue I've had randomly, too. No idea what caused or fixed it, but it usually takes a day or two for me on the "space" screen until I get the updated picture again.

Naren Parker

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
I would have definitely done a backup - only if I could open the app. :) Although Xbox music isn't available in India, the settings page should be there. It was there before the update. My region settings haven't changed since then. For the standalone Xbox music app that was released recently, yes that requires a music pass subscription without which the app wouldn't even open. But the music hub is working just fine. Not sure if GDR3 has made the settings page available in Xbox enabled countries only. I can still access and play files in that though. I had noticed the space screen in the Bing app would remain static for quite sometime as well. But it used to update eventually. Now it doesn't update even after a few days. Not that it's a grave concern but it was a nifty thing to have.

Last edited:

hope4wp

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
This bug I had in all the Windows phones....even in my HTC 8X....sometimes I just can't open any app except camera and settings. I have to reboot my phone. I found this issue even in Nokia Lumia 920. Does anyone else have this problem??

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
This bug I had in all the Windows phones....even in my HTC 8X....sometimes I just can't open any app except camera and settings. I have to reboot my phone. I found this issue even in Nokia Lumia 920. Does anyone else have this problem??

Sorry I didn't get you. You mean sometimes you are not able to open any app,calendar,music,photos,internet explorer except camera app and settings,if this is the problem try installing a new keyboard ,restart your phone,then again chose your regional keyboard,... I know this method sounds weird but this works, I have read this here on wpcentral forums. Try this one Nadia and do tell if this method works for you.

hope4wp

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
Sorry I didn't get you. You mean sometimes you are not able to open any app,calendar,music,photos,internet explorer except camera app and settings,if this is the problem try installing a new keyboard ,restart your phone,then again chose your regional keyboard,... I know this method sounds weird but this works, I have read this here on wpcentral forums. Try this one Nadia and do tell if this method works for you.

hmmm I already did that....I have like 4 keyboards already which I use more often....Arabic, Hindi, English and Spanish. It doesn't work :( I mean I didn't have this problem for a while....but it happened to me again now :( I'll let you know if it happens again :)

ben jada

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
I just bought a new Nokia Lumia 920, international model. Love the OS and the flow of the phone but it has big issues reading the sim card (i changed 3 at my mobile operator) sometimes it regognise the sim card but soon after i get the the no sim error, and there is also a 1cm( or so) dark stain in the camera and it can be seen on all photos, I updated to black update and rom flash and all what i found on forums and internet but nothing helps...

WP_20130720_05_29_05_Pro.jpg
WP_20140117_004.jpg

Last edited:

hope4wp

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
I just bought a new Nokia Lumia 920, international model. Love the OS and the flow of the phone but it has big issues reading the sim card (i changed 3 at my mobile operator) sometimes it regognise the sim card but soon after i get the the no sim error, and there is also a 1cm( or so) dark stain in the camera and it can be seen on all photos, I updated to black update and rom flash and all what i found on forums and internet but nothing helps...

View attachment 54790
View attachment 54789

hardware problems...most probably the camera lens.....take your phone to Nokia and say them that you have a problem with the camera lens... they will fix it :)

ben jada

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Well, I live in Israel and i bought the phone from a local dealer...I feel that it will take some time till I will get a replacement or a service for this one, the bad part is that i already sold my iCrap 5...:)

Joene90

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Well, I live in Israel and i bought the phone from a local dealer...I feel that it will take some time till I will get a replacement or a service for this one, the bad part is that i already sold my iCrap 5...:)

Maybe your local dealer will be nice enough to replace it for you, and send it to Nokia him/herself. When did you buy your phone?

Naren Parker

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site

Try using a good cleaning solution and wipe the lens thoroughly. If not, the best option would be to take it to Nokia Care yourself. As long as your IMEI is legit, it doesn't matter whom you've purchased your phone from.

Naren Parker

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
hmmm I already did that....I have like 4 keyboards already which I use more often....Arabic, Hindi, English and Spanish. It doesn't work :( I mean I didn't have this problem for a while....but it happened to me again now :( I'll let you know if it happens again :)

I feel that this could be due to an app's background process that has been poorly coded. Some poorly coded apps can be quite hostile even though they run natively sandboxed. Try clearing your temp files and do a soft-reset. Also, disable background processes not needed.

ezraofcebu

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
I have found quite a few bugs...
1) WhatsApp
- I can't increase or decrease the volume of WhatsApp videos (maybe WhatsApp requires an update and I did restart my phone just to ensure that it's not a problem but with no luck :/ )
- auto closes
2) yellowish tint and blurry images :/
This is how it took the picture
View attachment 54734

and this is how it saved it
View attachment 54735
does anyone else have these problems???

having the same as you do. The prepocessed photos are fairly sharp and over all good photos, but the processed ones are out of sharpness and at times, washed out colors. White balance has greatly been improved, though.

Last edited:

hope4wp

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
I feel that this could be due to an app's background process that has been poorly coded. Some poorly coded apps can be quite hostile even though they run natively sandboxed. Try clearing your temp files and do a soft-reset. Also, disable background processes not needed.

I noticed it usually happens when I get push notifications from WhatsApp and I select them and then just everything stops opening.....but today morning I had nothing to do with my phone, and still I couldn't open WhatsApp or any such app..... -_- *so bugging* I've to restart my phone. I've tried a hard reset and a soft reset too.

Iulian Luca

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
As long as your IMEI is legit, it doesn't matter whom you've purchased your phone from.
yes, but only if you have the "proof of purchase" receipt - trust me, I bought my Nokia Lumia 920 from someone that got it from UK EE without the receipt and now I have the "No Signal" issur 99% of the time and I am talking with Nokia Care, Nokia, EE on twitter and all they are saying is that I can send my phone to Nokia Care here in Romania (only one of them in Bucharest, but I think they close it recently) but only if I have the receipt, which I don't, so it's useless without it. Maybe a local service shop will take it, but what I have here in my city, they think that if they can open a telephone using some tools, they can fix it no matter what, but they don't know anything about Nokia, or I didn't found anyone.

HaibaneReki

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
regarding "smudges" on photos. I had a speck of dust between the chasis and the camera lens - cracked the phone open, blew it out, problem solved ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss