Broken screen, leaked colours, told it's not worth repairing :( ..please advise?

12VOLTPORCUPINE

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone!
This has probably been posted to death already, but after trying a few things on my own I figured I'd ask for your expertise:

I have a Lumia 928 through Verizon Wireless, which I acquired through Amazon Wireless for $0.01 with a 2 year contract. I did not insure it, and then, of course, about a month later dropped it and terminally shattered the screen - afterwards over a course of a day or so the colors bled over the image turning it dark purple and eventually the screen simply stopped lighting up.

I took it to a repair shop where they tried to install a new screen but returned it to me as it was, stating that the mainboard is also dead and that the phone simply cannot be repaired. Kind of a bummer, I really liked the phone (save from the common problem of the screen occasionally siezing to work), and now am weighing my options:

1) try to repair it with some other repair shop
2) get a used one from craigslist or swappa or something along those lines.

What do you guys think? does this thing stand a chance at being repaired or should I have a funeral for it and proceed with getting something 2nd-hand?

much obliged,

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
If the main board has issues, can it. Buy a used one off of craiglist. Make sure do the deal at a Verizon Store where they can check to see if the used phone is stolen or has other issues.

12VOLTPORCUPINE

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, Mase.
There's one for sale right now for $180. except like 300 miles away... do you think I may trust swappa on the whole stolen phone issue?

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I've never had a problem on eBay (though I know problems are out there). I'm not telling you to use eBay or anything else, but just a tip if you do consider eBay. First, make sure the ad STATES that the ESN is good (or is similarly worded), and second, make sure the sale is eligible for PayPal buyer protection, or make sure you use a credit (not debit) card that has adequate protection. That way if you can't get it activated due to a bad ESN, you can get reimbursed for your troubles. You'll probably have to provide PayPal (or credit card company) the documentation that says that the ESN is bad (from carrier), in order to do so.

The key is being a cautious consumer.

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
Hard to believe the motherboard is bad, but it could be. In any case, the 928 is one of the few cell phones that doesn't have a reasonably priced replacement screen option. The only ones I have seen are about $200 because the lcd is glued to the digitizer. I have two smashed ones in my work drawer from users and if I could fix them for a reasonable price, I would.

badplanet

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I bought a Lumia 822 on eBay for $139 buy it now price and it works great. I agree with everything said above and would look at the feedback. Seems like a lot of dealers with hundreds of good feedback sell phones on eBay. Read the description carefully and make sure the pictures show the actual phone. Some listings state that the pictures are stock photos not of the actual phone.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Swappa is supposedly pretty good, though I have seen complaints. eBay, for a buyer, is great -- I wouldn't sell on eBay though. You could check out various tech related sites and see what their FS/FT forums have, I would try to verify your seller first though (Heatware, for example).

I thought someone on here had an 822 for sale pretty cheap, might want to see if it's still available.

Good luck.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Swappa is supposedly pretty good, though I have seen complaints. eBay, for a buyer, is great -- I wouldn't sell on eBay though. You could check out various tech related sites and see what their FS/FT forums have, I would try to verify your seller first though (Heatware, for example).

I thought someone on here had an 822 for sale pretty cheap, might want to see if it's still available.

Good luck.

I use eBay on a pretty rare occasion - probably 3-4 times a year. I'm just curious, why do you say you wouldn't sell on eBay?

badplanet

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I just bought a Lumia 928 on ebay Buy It Now for $188. Gazelle was the seller and rated the phone condition as "very good". I believe they also offer a 30 day money back guarentee and cover the return shipping costs.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss