Lumia 920 photo quality post black update

Chris Wayne2

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Yes, forgot to say that, daylight pictures and good lighting conditions go from ok to so-so, now they look more natural and closer to reality, remember the oversaturated pics of portico, 2 minutes of photoshop do the thing though....

vikrant1982

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
As some one else has mentioned, after black update i have noticed that when i turn on front camera for photo mode, the screen continuously shows changing white balance. It looks like continuously changing white and yellow hue on the screen. Although the pictures taken are consistent and not affected by this changing hue. I don't remember if this issue was there in Amber as i had not used the front camera much during that time. At first i thought that the camera was faulty but then i noticed that the front camera does not have this issue in video mode. I have checked this in both stock camera app and in pro camera. Both the apps show the same issue.

Are there other people who have noticed this issue?

Any inputs regarding the front camera issue i have mentioned above??

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I've been reading through this thread, and I recently upgraded from a 920 to a 1020 Amber->Amber and the green tinting is way worse on the 1020. Recently got the black update and the tinting is not fixed on the 1020 either. So it's not just the 920 that wasn't fixed! That being said, you have to take pictures in indoor incandescent or flourescent lighting to see the tinting. I notice that in outdoor/daylight images, the white balance is fine, but indoor, the colors get really messed up. I don't have a twitter, but I think if you can, post before/after images on Juha's twitter page. Hopefully if he sees enough he'll notice that it's a real issue. Though it's kind of baffling that he hasn't already.

AndrewL920

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I think this would be my last windows phone unless they will fix the camera algorithms in the next 8.1 update. They are so hyped about adding a lot of features but they forget to fix the main features of lumia.

TheJoester09

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I just got Black on my 928, and I'm severely disappointed. There's less detail + a ton more noise, the green/yellow tint is still present (possibly worse, though it may just seem that way because I'm so upset), and overall the pictures are just not pleasing to the eye. In the pictures posted by Chris Wayne2 up above, the Amber picture looks WAY better to my eyes. Disappointed is the only word I can use to describe my feelings.

MrWhiteman

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I think this would be my last windows phone unless they will fix the camera algorithms in the next 8.1 update. They are so hyped about adding a lot of features but they forget to fix the main features of lumia.

Me 2, my brother just got the 5S and I actually quite like it. Camera is night too, all it needs is optical imagine stabilisation and we are only a winner.

MrWhiteman

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I just got Black on my 928, and I'm severely disappointed. There's less detail + a ton more noise, the green/yellow tint is still present (possibly worse, though it may just seem that way because I'm so upset), and overall the pictures are just not pleasing to the eye. In the pictures posted by Chris Wayne2 up above, the Amber picture looks WAY better to my eyes. Disappointed is the only word I can use to describe my feelings.

No one is going to take notice unless you complain on twitter: https://twitter.com/jalakarhu

ktl88

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Now that even 928 pics are worse, and Nokia hasn't addressed this issue the way they normally do, we are left to believe only one thing:
This is a marketing strategy. Nokia wants us to buy their newer phones if we want better pics.

Well nokia if this is what you want me to do, I won't.
I can't keep blowing money on new phones. We in india don't have contracts that every one year/two years we can change handsets for cheap cost.
Will be upgrading my 920 only after ONE MORE YEAR. Want to use it for at least two years.

AndrewL920

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Now that even 928 pics are worse, and Nokia hasn't addressed this issue the way they normally do, we are left to believe only one thing:
This is a marketing strategy. Nokia wants us to buy their newer phones if we want better pics.

Well nokia if this is what you want me to do, I won't.
I can't keep blowing money on new phones. We in india don't have contracts that every one year/two years we can change handsets for cheap cost.
Will be upgrading my 920 only after ONE MORE YEAR. Want to use it for at least two years.

Like I said. The lifespan of their support in a specific phone is 2 years. But I think they want to end it for a year only and they want us to buy a new one. My 920 is my last windows phone unless they going to fix the camera algorithm.

Chris Wayne2

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
In the pictures posted by Chris Wayne2 up above, the Amber picture looks WAY better to my eyes.

Way better to your eyes does not reflect all opinions in the world, the second picture had better colors overall, better detail as well, but that's only for low light scenarios, daylight pictures are softer but not as much as how they were when the 920 was launched, I don't know why but something tells me that after 8.1 we could say goodbye to further updates to our first gen Lumias, hope I'm wrong, also if you don't like the results using the stock or Nokia Cam you should check other apps.

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Way better to your eyes does not reflect all opinions in the world, the second picture had better colors overall, better detail as well, but that's only for low light scenarios, daylight pictures are softer but not as much as how they were when the 920 was launched, I don't know why but something tells me that after 8.1 we could say goodbye to further updates to our first gen Lumias, hope I'm wrong, also if you don't like the results using the stock or Nokia Cam you should check other apps.

Umm I can't really say about windows phone 9, maybe they require quad core chip (1520) or they will optimize it for current gen lumia (dual core ). Windows phone 8.1 will be elgiable for all current lumia , after 8.1 everyone will get GDR updates by Microsoft to further refine 8.1 experince by new features alon with nokia firmware packages.

TheJoester09

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site

Really genius? You do understand what "to my eyes" means, right?

Chris Wayne2

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Just wanted to point out that there are like 4 people complaining about it, I don't think they would change the algorithm for just some random users, have you tried Photoshop to get the results you want?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss