Lumia 920 photo quality post black update

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Though there isn't a way to fix the sharpness issue now, I've found a way to fix the green tint in photos, at least improving colours dramatically.

Here's an image I took in my room, realise that terrible colour tone? imgur: the simple image sharer

Using Fantasia Painter, using it's white point fix function, press and hold on a white background, and it should adjust the colours properly, though it might make it wrong exposed. To fix the exposure, adjust the intensity accordingly. imgur: the simple image sharer

And here's the final corrected image! Much much better and truer to life.
imgur: the simple image sharer

You take a photo with a very wrong WB, just it man. Nothing to do with things related here. Bad WB happens even with professional cameras (less often).

But the app is a very good tip.

AndreStudart

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
You take a photo with a very wrong WB, just it man. Nothing to do with things related here. Bad WB happens even with professional cameras (less often).

But the app is a very good tip.

Not simply like that, when you take the photo, it's 100% clear, but nokia's post-processament algorithms does that to some photos, even though in the preview it was nice, hope they fix it on 8.1

Chris Wayne2

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
All right all right, this has become a dumb battle, bought an used 920 from a n00b and it has portico, will post a picture comparison with both my gdr3+black 920 vs the portico 920 (with proofs of it), and just as a reference the same subject taken with a Nikon DSLR.

5witcher

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I have Lumia 720 and it has very similar problems with camera. I downgraded my phone back to Portico and now camera is back to normal! My phone works just fine and the downgrade is not hard to do. It's a good solution to the camera problem. I posted a new low-light Potrico photo, you can compare it to low-light Amber/Black photos of the same place here if you are interested: http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...-quality-comparison-solution-downgrading.html

Chris Wayne2

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
I have Lumia 720 and it has very similar problems with camera. I downgraded my phone back to Portico and now camera is back to normal! My phone works just fine and the downgrade is not hard to do. It's a good solution to the camera problem. I posted a new low-light Potrico photo, you can compare it to low-light Amber/Black photos of the same place here if you are interested: http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...-quality-comparison-solution-downgrading.html

LoL!, you can't call that a comparison!, pics were not even taken in same conditions!

Last edited:

Kimi Alin

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Here is a comparison of pics just after snapping the photo and then after the phone has saved it. The difference is huge... All of the samples were taken in indoor lightning. In natural light the difference isn't that clear but I don't have samples from these. What do you think guys?

Testi 1.jpg Nokia postprocessing ****s up the white balance. And notice that difference at the carpet

Testi 2.jpg Same thing here. Final photo is more yellow and also too much softer.

Testi 3.jpg This is the worst of the samples. White balance is way off and the final product is super soft, details are suffering. Only pro with the final photo is that shadow under the chair.

Testi 4.jpg This one is hard to say. The final photo indeed is more clear and crisper but white balance is still wrong.

Testi 5.jpg Here the difference isn't that distinct. White balance is rather the same but the final photo is bit softer. The final photo looks good though.

Testi 6.jpg In this one I would almost say that the final photo is better. Colors are still worse a bit.

Testi 7.jpg Yeah the same issue once again.

Rafael Marcondes

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the samples, Kimi.

It's easy to see through your images that the postprocessing gives better noise reduction in lowlight conditions, but in all of them the white balance is driven to yellow and the details are also poor. Much more sharper before postprocessing.

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Here is a comparison of pics just after snapping the photo and then after the phone has saved it. The difference is huge... All of the samples were taken in indoor lightning. In natural light the difference isn't that clear but I don't have samples from these. What do you think guys? Yeah the same issue once again.

Very close to me, not a big issue. I have noticed that too.

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the samples, Kimi.

It's easy to see through your images that the postprocessing gives better noise reduction in lowlight conditions, but in all of them the white balance is driven to yellow and the details are also poor. Much more sharper before postprocessing.

It's very sharper because it's a thumbnail. But you're a right about post processing, it's good for noise reduction, but in the same time messed up with WB (green tint in most cases) and a little blurry too (just a little, because it's not fair compare with a thumbnail).

MrWhiteman

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I have begun to change my mind slightly about this now (or rather, not mind it as much). I have done 2 tests: Ordinary 8Mpx camera (Samsung ES73) using exact same resolution and a comparison with the latest Camera 360 app. In both tests, the standard Camera app was the best and had the best colour accuracy. Here is Camera 360 vs Camera (NOT Nokia Pro Camera).

Camera360:
13425118904_36f44d34f9.jpg

Camera:
13424865453_ece9672696.jpg

The standard Camera app definitely looks blacker and sharper (though not totally) than Camera360 when it used to be the other way round.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12