Lumia 920 photo quality post black update

jib19

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
My impression so far after updating to Black is that the colours are closer to the real ones, and the noise is handled a bit better too. Not radically different results but they are better, if only a little.

lordbebech

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I want to admit that i still don't have a BLACK update, but as users commenting around here, that nothing have changed except more accurate white balance. In the day light effect it is no so dramatic... there is no this fricky Simpson effect,
simpson effect 2.jpg

but after all this updates, pictures are faded from colors,blurred and a way more grainy.
AMBERfrontfacing.jpg
Actually it looks like it was photoshoped with filter like 'old film' or something like that EDIT: i do some researches and i can say now with dose of certainty that inpreAMBER photos there was all over purple tint, AMBER solved that issue but added another... Simpson effect (yellow skin tone) in low light (especially fluorescent light)
condition and faded colors to semi-good conditions. Here is small comparison.
comparison with preamber.jpg
In this photo we can actually even say that there is somekind of improvment.
As soon as i get black uptade here in Poland i will try to do more comparisons

AndrewL920

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I want to admit that i still don't have a BLACK update, but as users commenting around here, that nothing have changed except more accurate white balance. In the day light effect it is no so dramatic... there is no this fricky Simpson effect,
View attachment 54831

but after all this updates, pictures are faded from colors,blurred and a way more grainy.
View attachment 54832
Actually it looks like it was photoshoped with filter like 'old film' or something like that EDIT: i do some researches and i can say now with dose of certainty that inpreAMBER photos there was all over purple tint, AMBER solved that issue but added another... Simpson effect (yellow skin tone) in low light (especially fluorescent light)
condition and faded colors to semi-good conditions. Here is small comparison.
View attachment 54835
In this photo we can actually even say that there is somekind of improvment.
As soon as i get black uptade here in Poland i will try to do more comparisons

Yes using fluorescent light will make the front facing selfie photo a Simpson but not in a daylight. Thank you for the comparison.

alpha beta gaga

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
to those experiencing 'issues', have you posted about it on the official nokia discussions forum? Nokia Lumia - Nokia Support Discussions

i've searched but can't find a thread about it over there. i would have thought the offical nokia forums would have at least its own thread. are nokia more likely to read their own forums or win phones forum?

AndrewL920

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
to those experiencing 'issues', have you posted about it on the official nokia discussions forum? Nokia Lumia - Nokia Support Discussions

i've searched but can't find a thread about it over there. i would have thought the offical nokia forums would have at least its own thread. are nokia more likely to read their own forums or win phones forum?
I already created a thread there but I think moderators of the forum and other users are the only people who read those threads there. Nokia discussions threads are too cluttered. If I have another camera to record how post processing kills the image and then post it on YouTube I think I may get their attention

alpha beta gaga

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
ok. so regardless of how many other threads there are over on nokia discussions, if it is/was a widespread 'issue' surely the quantity of people posting about it would be high/on the increase and the thread wouldn't get lost..no?

lordbebech

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Okay, i got BLACK from, lets say not official source. Just made few testes, and well i see the difference. Much better color reproduction, simpson effect under low fluorescent light reduced... (its hard to say because when i use Front face camera i can see on phone display that camera is STRUGGLING to set right white balance, i made series of photo by holding shutter button 3/5 was amazing good ,one was simpson like and one had another issue (blur). I am starting to wonder that it may be hardware problem.

alpha beta gaga

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
Okay, i got BLACK from, lets say not official source. Just made few testes, and well i see the difference. Much better color reproduction, simpson effect under low fluorescent light reduced... (its hard to say because when i use Front face camera i can see on phone display that camera is STRUGGLING to set right white balance, i made series of photo by holding shutter button 3/5 was amazing good ,one was simpson like and one had another issue (blur). I am starting to wonder that it may be hardware problem.
exactly. and that is why there is very few mentions of it over on nokia discussions. if it was widespread rather than isolated to a few cases, there would be more than a page or 2 of people talking about it on nokia discussions. it is not even widespread on wpc, it is just the same people posting about it over and over.

alpha beta gaga

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
alpha beta gang i would agree with you if this problem didn't started with Amber.
so why isn't this 'issue' being discussed at any great length on nokia forums then? threads don't simply get buried if there is an issue affecting the majority of users. i searched and found a one page thread about it with the last post dated sept 13

Senad Klepic

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
Its not faulty hardware of the device you know why?
Every Lumia user (who turns on review) and looks closer sees that the PP is "ruining" the picture, now take for an example one granny which got the L920 or some 15y old kid you think he'll see the difference (i don't go on global, just on casual users). Clearly only who saw this are Lumia " sawys " which wanna the best from the device, well at least that is my opinion.

lordbebech

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, post processing in most of the cases highly decrease details, and sharpens of photo and sometimes adding a little bit of yellow tint, as most of user say the effect is stronger with higher ISO and i can also confirm that. Photos on screen shot (especially makro ones) looks way better than finally post processed photo saved. Is it so hard to allow users to just switch off post processing if they don't want it ? The situation is stupid now, because the best idea would be taking photos by screen shoot of being saved photo, wwhat is actually quite difficult with combination :Windows + Lock .

Last edited:

Sasa Lakic

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
This reminds me on my previous phone. HTC One which had red tint problem in low light conditions. Even my final pics didn't have red tint it wasn't pleasure to look at viewfinder while taking pics. Difference is that One problem was hardware related and they tried to lower it by adjusting ISO algorithm. Nokia problem is a lot easier and I hope they will solve it. I am pretty satisfied with my l920.

h3li0

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
Why cant i watch the php photos? I just can open the ones in jpeg here ib the forums using my lumia 920. Anyone knows how to solve this?

lordbebech

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
so why isn't this 'issue' being discussed at any great length on nokia forums then? threads don't simply get buried if there is an issue affecting the majority of users. i searched and found a one page thread about it with the last post dated sept 13
Many peoples having the issue of yellow tint or blured photos, some users reported also that this not just hardware problem because is repeatable: non existence of problem-> installing AMBER/BLACK update -> yellow tint appers. Maybe we all broken our phone cameras simultaneously... ;/ ?! Is there a way to stop Nokia Pro Camera applying the yellow tint to the photos I take? : windowsphone
BTW... i made some researches. Have bad & good news. Bad one damn simpson effect remains in fluorescent light (dramtic effect on front facing camera and even on main camera but with lower impact) but just look an this: the photo is amazingly more sharper Right one AMBER (1/100 ISO 160) ( i did this photo about three times with different lenses including Proshot effect nearly the same) Left one BLACK (1/100 ISO 130) . Both on Auto:AMBERvsBLACK.jpg

Last edited:

lordbebech

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Not really, i can still se that photo before post producing is sharper and heave diffrent- more accurate colors. But yes, there is an improvement in comparison to AMBER.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium