Lumia 920 photo quality post black update

Alvin Lo

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I missed the photo quality before GDR2 updates i.e. GDR1. I opened some photos taken by my Lumia 920 with gdr1 and found that the photos now suck. Not sharp and poor white balance and contrast. Can anyone contact Nokia to air our concern!? I don't believe a 920 would be delivering such inferior photos. And even if I am to upgrade my phone, Nokia will not be my choice since Android really works better.

Rafael Marcondes

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Black has just become available for me. I really want the new features that come with it but I'm afraid I'll be disappointed with the camera. I've seen some people here saying that though the yellow tint is still present, the sharpness overall quality is better, and some saying that it's worse.

I took some photos now, also made that screenshot comparison. Let's see how it will perform after updating.

Rafael Marcondes

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I don't think the photos are worse or better now. I can barely notice any difference, the quality appears to be the same, with the yellow tint still present

Rfuser

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
Preview photos are still sharper.
I don't care about noise reduction. Why force it on us?? Makes the photos soft...

Should be in settings.

AndrewL920

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Preview photos are still sharper.
I don't care about noise reduction. Why force it on us?? Makes the photos soft...

Should be in settings.

Yes. I wish they include "Turn off Jpeg Compression On/Off " in camera/3rd party camera settings. Honestly my $70.00 Android phone takes sharper photos than my 920 but of course 920's camera is better and can take better pictures. Please Nokia allow us to turn off/on the built in jpeg compression. :(

supershi80

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Yes. I wish they include "Turn off Jpeg Compression On/Off " in camera/3rd party camera settings. Honestly my $70.00 Android phone takes sharper photos than my 920 but of course 920's camera is better and can take better pictures. Please Nokia allow us to turn off/on the built in jpeg compression. :(

Is not jpeg compressione but a postprocessing correction algorithm issue

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site

Yes same is the case with lumia 820 they screwed the camera with update.

Sent from my iris458Q using WPCentral Forums mobile app

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Yes same is the case with lumia 820 they screwed the camera with update.

Sent from my iris458Q using WPCentral Forums mobile app

I always go to the Edit tab, and click the auto fix in the WP default editing tool, it clears the greenish/ bluish tint that the algorithm adds, as for sharpness, also could be fixed.

I know this is idiotic, but at least this is the way I manage it.

MrWhiteman

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I always go to the Edit tab, and click the auto fix in the WP default editing tool, it clears the greenish/ bluish tint that the algorithm adds, as for sharpness, also could be fixed.

I know this is idiotic, but at least this is the way I manage it.

Original
12288265844_3f3c39dc51_z.jpg

Auto Fix
12287993543_a0d4c8171f_z.jpg

Also, I turned the Vibrance right up to show how bad the green tinting is (note around the edges. That PC case is meant to be black!:
12288394434_d3d2c5709f_z.jpg

Sangeeth Sudheer

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Yup, it was getting worse right after Amber. Portico was pretty fine by me and never came to notice this issue. After Amber, I started to get suspicious and been shouting to forums and Nokia threads about this problem with no official response. I made a thread and a list of pictures and other problems are noted there. This is the link -- http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...ra-bugs-other-issues-[bug-report]-[poll].html

vikrant1982

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
As some one else has mentioned, after black update i have noticed that when i turn on front camera for photo mode, the screen continuously shows changing white balance. It looks like continuously changing white and yellow hue on the screen. Although the pictures taken are consistent and not affected by this changing hue. I don't remember if this issue was there in Amber as i had not used the front camera much during that time. At first i thought that the camera was faulty but then i noticed that the front camera does not have this issue in video mode. I have checked this in both stock camera app and in pro camera. Both the apps show the same issue.

Are there other people who have noticed this issue?

vikrant1982

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
Also, i think this whole camera issue and our request to switch to portico algorithms can be voiced out through a petition on change.org.
What do you guys think?

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
how to spam emails to nokia? what is their email? im going crazy to this camera problem, my 520 camera is good compared to my 920 camera.

we should held a petition to include portico camera algo to 8.1 just like andrewl920 said. i know that camera algorithm is hard to update, it needs a major update just like lumia black, amber. so the next update will be 8.1, so im hoping to fix this in 8.1, we should petition to nokia. what do you think guys?

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss