Android user thinking of switching to 520. How will life be different?

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
How am I for music or radio listening options?

Pandora and iHeartRadio are great. You can also use Nokia Mix Radio as others have mentioned. I think it's similar to the other two but with no ads. Actually, Pandora is ad free for WP users for the first year as well. I'm not 100% about the 520 (I have a 920), but I think it also has a radio that comes along with GDR2. If I'm correct in that, then you can also get local radio stations.

genuine555

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
How can Lumia change your life ? Very simply put : It will save your time.

Precious time that can be spent on doing the things that matter, because you are paying for that time with your life ;)

MERCDROID

Apr 12, 2013
Visit site
TLDR By switching to WP you will miss out on viruses and random charges to your account.

Before when I had android I had a virus after getting AVG I was able to get rid of the virus but then I got another virus from downloading an app from the app store. To think Google would allow these malicious apps to get published on the app store.

After I got another virus I started getting random charges to my account saying it was for games at first it was $20 then it moved up to $500

I didnt noticed the $20 dollar but I did noticed the $500 I called Tmobile to dispute it with them. They said I had encounter a virus that automatically sign me up for monthly "Goodies" except I wasnt receiving any "Goodies" I was just paying for it.

No offense to you, but that definitely sounds like user error. I say that, because I've had to question the validity of some apps that are posted to the Play Store.

But, with that said, does anyone here know Microsoft's policy regarding app submissions? Is it stricter than Google's? I'm considering getting a 1520 to replace my Nexus 5, and am curious as to if the platform is "more secure" than Android.

lance5087

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
Battery life on windows phone isn't even in the same league as android. I have had numerous android phones and the battery lasts much longer on the couple of windows phones I have had.

m3kk

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
No offense to you, but that definitely sounds like user error. I say that, because I've had to question the validity of some apps that are posted to the Play Store.

But, with that said, does anyone here know Microsoft's policy regarding app submissions? Is it stricter than Google's? I'm considering getting a 1520 to replace my Nexus 5, and am curious as to if the platform is "more secure" than Android.

What are you doing with your aandroid phone daily? I had to give my nexus 4 to my gf because I accidentally her iPhone. Had ativ s as a spare at home so I grabbed that. Miss couple of my apps, the customization (wp8 can look rather boring after a while looking @ square tiles) , slow updates . Fb chat in messages hub is rather nice it it would work consistently and support pics etc. Facebook app is frustrating slow with little features but it's beta so expect that. My keyboard lags more and more as I text longer messages in apps so have to end post here.

jj2me

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Besides the aforementioned lack of a real file manager, you're stuck with the one, non-swiping keyboard.

Also, no free app of the day, in case you were using those, like what Amazon and AppGratis offer for Android.

HaibaneReki

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Besides the aforementioned lack of a real file manager, you're stuck with the one, non-swiping keyboard.

Also, no free app of the day, in case you were using those, like what Amazon and AppGratis offer for Android.

You have RedStripeDeals and MyAppFree on Windows phone, just watch the front page of WPC.

file manager - I actually think it's a good thing - I want only photos, music and videos on my phone - and that I can manage with Windows Explorer when connected. You can store whatever files on the phone and create folder - but the OS on the phone will not recognize them for security reasons. And You have skydrive for documents (me being lucky to jump in soon enough to have 25GB free storage)

keyboard - no argument here, except I like my learning thesaurus better than swype

MERCDROID

Apr 12, 2013
Visit site
What are you doing with your aandroid phone daily? I had to give my nexus 4 to my gf because I accidentally her iPhone. Had ativ s as a spare at home so I grabbed that. Miss couple of my apps, the customization (wp8 can look rather boring after a while looking @ square tiles) , slow updates . Fb chat in messages hub is rather nice it it would work consistently and support pics etc. Facebook app is frustrating slow with little features but it's beta so expect that. My keyboard lags more and more as I text longer messages in apps so have to end post here.

I mainly use my phone for music, GPS, texting, and surfing the web. I don't use many apps, and the few times I use Facebook, I use the browser version because I do not trust the app. I really like Android, but I think it's time to try new things. I never thought I'd buy an iOS product, but here I am loving my iPad. So, I want to, at least, give Windows Phone a try. I may even use the 1520 alongside my Nexus 5. I appreciate your reply!

m3kk

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I mainly use my phone for music, GPS, texting, and surfing the web. I don't use many apps, and the few times I use Facebook, I use the browser version because I do not trust the app. I really like Android, but I think it's time to try new things. I never thought I'd buy an iOS product, but here I am loving my iPad. So, I want to, at least, give Windows Phone a try. I may even use the 1520 alongside my Nexus 5. I appreciate your reply!
You are welcome ,
if you afford it: buy 1520 , use it some week, then deside which to sell

Kris Simundson

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

hit up the 1520 Merc, you won't be dissapointed ;)

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Life will be different no doubt. If you are using google services, then its best to stick with Android. If you're using Whatsapp and facebook, then stick with it(the ones on WP are really bad/buggy). If you're using one-place notification center for all your events/activites, stick with Android. If you want to retain your keypad(old phone type) as keyboard, the only way is Android as it allows different keyboards to be installed. Remember all app support are going with IOS/ Android first. If you're willing to try something new and have some money to spare, then try WP8. Otherwise its best to continue using Android :) .

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Life will be different no doubt. If you are using google services, then its best to stick with Android. If you're using Whatsapp and facebook, then stick with it(the ones on WP are really bad/buggy). If you're using one-place notification center for all your events/activites, stick with Android. If you want to retain your keypad(old phone type) as keyboard, the only way is Android as it allows different keyboards to be installed. Remember all app support are going with IOS/ Android first. If you're willing to try something new and have some money to spare, then try WP8. Otherwise its best to continue using Android :) .

I wont argue here but if he gets a budget/cheap android,
1. how durable will it be ?
2. will it get future updates ?
3.its a budget phone, it wont have a snappy, fluid performance overall, resulting in lag,// will drive him crazy after some time
4.viruses,spam,etc are best found in google services/store
5.battery life umm it will be pathetic
6.whatsapp is great on windows phone IMOP, now we have the functionality to multi upload pictures , videos and soon we will get the same for music files
7.the nokia brand itself is trustworthy
8.windowsphone is the fastest growing mobile os when compared to ios and android
9.nokia have great service towards customers
10.and wp8.1 will get a notification centre, voice assistant and hopefully a file manager for some people, and I guess ability to install apps on SD card .Microsoft could have implemented a notification centre in wp8 but they ran out of time and so it was delayed for future wp update according to Wikipedia.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Sorry for the bit of confusion; AT&T calls their quad-band 3G w/ HSPA, 4G and it is proudly displayed on each box a 520 is sold in as 4G. In truth as Himanshu Chowdhary stated it is correctly a improvment on 3G so I guest they decided to use the term 4G because it is better than regular 3G. I even found a reference to it as 3.5G. So for us I guest we can take our pick as to what we want to call it. It is faster than 3, and close to 4, not LTE 4; but 4. After all who can doubt AT&T ????????????????????????????????????????

ayejay0601

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
I recently switched as well. I will tell you what I like and what I miss.

Like: Generally, like the OS a lot. Battery life sooo much better than my old RAZR (by the end my RAZR would get 4 hrs max of light usage). Now I can get about 36 hours in one charge! Smooth and no lag (I would sometimes wait 15-20 seconds for an app to load on Android). The screen and camera on my 1020 is awesome--not sure about the 520 but heard it is also great. I really like the live tiles and all the little animations. Its refreshing and much more utilitarian. I have always liked WP, but have stuck to Android because of lack of support on Verizon. This time I just moved over to AT&T (their new 12-mo plans is great and no noticeable difference in coverage or speed of data). Charges much faster--relatively bug free OS. And I love the Metro style. All contacts, etc., were ported quickly and easily. Also missing is push Gmail--but you can set it to refresh every 15 minutes and that is pretty good for me.

Dislike: I still dont like any of the map apps as much as google maps (they are useable, but maybe I was just accustomed to google maps) and have yet to find a great weather app. Some apps I like still arent on WP (Seamless web, candy crush) and other apps that are on WP arent quite as good (cant download pictures on TUMBLR and screen doesnt rotate, Ameritrade app just sucks). It takes a few days to get used to missing notification center--you should lump all tiles that can have notifications in one area--that helps--but I think I am looking forward to notification center on next version of Windows. I never used widgets or any of those other android functions--my phone was laggy enough without.

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I wont argue here but if he gets a budget/cheap android,
1. how durable will it be ?
2. will it get future updates ?
3.its a budget phone, it wont have a snappy, fluid performance overall, resulting in lag,// will drive him crazy after some time
4.viruses,spam,etc are best found in google services/store
5.battery life umm it will be pathetic
6.whatsapp is great on windows phone IMOP, now we have the functionality to multi upload pictures , videos and soon we will get the same for music files
7.the nokia brand itself is trustworthy
8.windowsphone is the fastest growing mobile os when compared to ios and android
9.nokia have great service towards customers
10.and wp8.1 will get a notification centre, voice assistant and hopefully a file manager for some people, and I guess ability to install apps on SD card .Microsoft could have implemented a notification centre in wp8 but they ran out of time and so it was delayed for future wp update according to Wikipedia.

Hi S4 user :) , I only asked him to stick with his present Droid mobile whichever one he has got. A couple of things against your points-
3.its a budget phone, it wont have a snappy, fluid performance overall, resulting in lag,// will drive him crazy after some time - Thats true in some of the budget handsets. But if you get non-samsung phone(like LG optimus L5 or Xperia M) or if you are willing to install custom ROM from XDA, then you can eliminate most of the slowness(lag's impossible to get rid of unless you have a top end phone like S4, Note 2 etc). You can install "Greenify" to hibernate some of the running apps hence it wont affect your battery life at all.
4.viruses,spam,etc are best found in google services/store -- Only if the user is stupid enough to install some random app OR tricked through installing one. You dont get viruses just like that on Android! . I agree google apps will have access to your data/whatever you do as permissions are freeily given.
5.battery life umm it will be pathetic -- This depends on the apps installed and the durability of the phone. My mom's Samsung Ace gets 2-3 days of active usage(messages, whatsapp over WiFI). Of course, using 2G/3G(and using FB) will drain battery a lot faster.
6.whatsapp is great on windows phone IMOP, now we have the functionality to multi upload pictures , videos and soon we will get the same for music files -- Still crashes on my phone , cant read older message without software crashing.

Slim Makay

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
The only thing I can say is, I upgraded from a BlackBerry(my first Love) to a L520, and I've been enjoying the use and feel of my phone... I'm a living testimony to the fact #dontgetscaredtoswitch....:D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss