Android user thinking of switching to 520. How will life be different?

HaibaneReki

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
... if you get non-samsung phone(like LG optimus L5 or Xperia M) or if you are willing to install custom ROM from XDA, then you can eliminate most of the slowness(lag's impossible to get rid of unless you have a top end phone like S4, Note 2 etc)...

awwww, that's the point we're trying to make here, WP is so lightweight it runs the same on all -ends :) low or high

however, some apps still DO underwhelm compared to their counterparts on other OSes, but as Nokia said on their twitter - 2013 was about getting the apps, 2014 will make them great..

Ron Ross

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
Overall the OS is a real work in progress although the phone as hardware and the phone/texting UI is fine. But the apps are half-baked for the most part. WP email is extremely primitive compared to the native android email app. Most of the enthusiast programs are amateurish and with poor aesthetics although a few do a good job of emulating and syncing with Google calendar and Gmail. The independent Youtube alternatives are adequate if again not as good as the native app on android. All this is to be expected and I wouldn't bring it up in a thread that was completely oriented toward WP but you specifically asked for comparisons so . . .

The thing I miss most from android is the very well integrated sharing between android apps. Not just easy sharing to email, Facebook, Twitter etc. but Pocket (which doesn't exist on WP), Evernote (which does and it's pretty good, but nothing shares to it), Bookmarks, Dropbox etc. With WP you're lucky if you get email or Facebook. For example the otherwise excellent Bing News (by Microsoft of course) has no sharing options whatsoever. It's like Microsoft has yet to discover the Internets.

Ok, rant off. I love the phone but more for Nokia than MS. And for the record I own no Apple products, haven't for years, and this is my first smartphone. But I have three android tablets I use constantly and I'm very fond of. So if this phone weren't half the price of a Moto G, I'd have the Moto G.

Last edited:

Adam Loh

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
Choosing windows phone is like a marriage, when the time u switch to it, you have to miss some of the client apps like Gmail, calendar, and most of the google products..
Using windows phone is like joining the family of Microsoft. You have to get along with the family, sometime lifes is like this....but eventually you will find the beauty inside this new family.

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Choosing windows phone is like a marriage, when the time u switch to it, you have to miss some of the client apps like Gmail, calendar, and most of the google products..
Using windows phone is like joining the family of Microsoft. You have to get along with the family, sometime lifes is like this....but eventually you will find the beauty inside this new family.
thrilled to hear you love your windows phone Adam.

barbaro123

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
You know you guys are much more critical/honest of the 520 than I expected. No offense but I thought everyone would tell me the reasons its great but there are some negatives many of you mentioned. I appreciate the honesty.

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Yep there's nothing with 520 except its a windows os phone. If you're an app junkie, truely avoid wp for now

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea