Cannot select my mp3 as ringtone

keblay

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
I have searched all day to try and figure out why I am unable to select my own song as a ringtone. It should not have to be such a convoluted process. I have copied the mp3 file into the Ringtones folder, but no matter what I do I do not get a Custom option when going to Settings > Ringtones+Sounds > Ringtone. There is no issue about song security. Please explain to me why I have no Custom option in order to select my own ringtone? I have a Nokia Lumia 1020.

mpt15

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Use Nokias Ringtone Maker app to crop the mp3 file (doesn't have to be in the ringtone folder). then save it and set ringtone

keblay

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for your replies, but I have resolved it myself. Somebody somewhere on this forum indicated that he/she was unable to select a song that he/she copied directly from their Music folder into the Ringtone folder on the phone. All that was necessary was to copy the song onto my laptop before copying it back into the Ringtone folder. Problem solved. Please note that a Nokia Lumia 1020 does not have restrictions like setting it as a ringtone, 40 second limit, or less than 1MB. As far as I understand it has to be less than 30MB. This is a Windows Mobile 8 phone.

windoors

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for your replies, but I have resolved it myself. Somebody somewhere on this forum indicated that he/she was unable to select a song that he/she copied directly from their Music folder into the Ringtone folder on the phone. All that was necessary was to copy the song onto my laptop before copying it back into the Ringtone folder. Problem solved. Please note that a Nokia Lumia 1020 does not have restrictions like setting it as a ringtone, 40 second limit, or less than 1MB. As far as I understand it has to be less than 30MB. This is a Windows Mobile 8 phone.

Exactly! The file must be copied directly from the PC not from some other folder in phone!

FYI, a ringtone must satisfy following things:
  1. An MP3 or WMA file
  2. Not protected with digital rights management (DRM)
  3. Less than 1 MB in size
  4. Less than 40 seconds
  5. Must have the genre "ringtone"
  6. File must be copied directly from PC to phone's Music or Ringtones folder

mpt15

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Exactly! The file must be copied directly from the PC not from some other folder in phone!

FYI, a ringtone must satisfy following things:
  1. An MP3 or WMA file
  2. Not protected with digital rights management (DRM)
  3. Less than 1 MB in size
  4. Less than 40 seconds
  5. Must have the genre "ringtone"
  6. File must be copied directly from PC to phone's Music or Ringtones folder
using the Nokia ringtone maker app solves the problem of checking all the above. It allows you to make ringtones from DRM free music available in your phone, and then save them as ringtones on your phone. No need to use a computer.

windoors

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
using the Nokia ringtone maker app solves the problem of checking all the above. It allows you to make ringtones from DRM free music available in your phone, and then save them as ringtones on your phone. No need to use a computer.

Does it work on non-Nokia phones as well?

cchaihigh

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
Really in this day and age to have a phone not able to pick music files from anywhere on its storage but requiring the user to first connect to pc and transfer to a specific folder is ridiculous, really ridiculous. I was loving this phone (Lumia 1320) but am finding it a little too stringent than the android am used to.
What if I get a file by bluetooth, does it mean I have to copy it to pc and then back to the phone into the ringtones folder....:unhappysweat: REALLY!!!! WHO DESIGNED THIS OPERATION SYSTEM, is it a wonder android is now on almost every phone around!!!!!???? I have used saveral phone brands and not once have I had to follow such strenious procedure just to set a ringtone....somobody help, maybe there is something am missing??
Also there is no option to set ring tone from the music player (or this option is not obvious if at all its there). In android, if am listening to a song and love it I can set it as ring tone from withing the music player, without having to leave the music player and go to ringtone settings:cry::unhappy:

The other thing is there is no option to view open applications from any application that one is using to be able to switch back and forth between apps (or, again, this option is just not obvious).

I was planning to sell my Galaxy tab and buy another windows phone, but with these issues am experiencing i will have to postpone this decision....maybe I will end up selling the Lumia 1320 and get another galaxy phone.:straight:

cchaihigh

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
hi, is there a way to view open apps while in an app to be able to switch between apps, without leaving the app you are in? (Lumia 1320)

jbjtkbw007

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Hold down the back arrow. You can then swipe back and forth to all of the open applications, close out of ones that you aren't planning on using, and quickly move back and forth between them.

mpt15

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Really in this day and age to have a phone not able to pick music files from anywhere on its storage but requiring the user to first connect to pc and transfer to a specific folder is ridiculous, really ridiculous. I was loving this phone (Lumia 1320) but am finding it a little too stringent than the android am used to.
What if I get a file by bluetooth, does it mean I have to copy it to pc and then back to the phone into the ringtones folder....:unhappysweat: REALLY!!!! WHO DESIGNED THIS OPERATION SYSTEM, is it a wonder android is now on almost every phone around!!!!!???? I have used saveral phone brands and not once have I had to follow such strenious procedure just to set a ringtone....somobody help, maybe there is something am missing??
Also there is no option to set ring tone from the music player (or this option is not obvious if at all its there). In android, if am listening to a song and love it I can set it as ring tone from withing the music player, without having to leave the music player and go to ringtone settings:cry::unhappy:

The other thing is there is no option to view open applications from any application that one is using to be able to switch back and forth between apps (or, again, this option is just not obvious).

I was planning to sell my Galaxy tab and buy another windows phone, but with these issues am experiencing i will have to postpone this decision....maybe I will end up selling the Lumia 1320 and get another galaxy phone.:straight:

you dont need to use a computer. Use the Ringtone Maker app, published by Microsoft.

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-in/store/app/ringtone-maker/5a99cbd9-e82a-4892-8264-17a64f9142e5

Anurag Sengupta

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
I have searched all day to try and figure out why I am unable to select my own song as a ringtone. It should not have to be such a convoluted process. I have copied the mp3 file into the Ringtones folder, but no matter what I do I do not get a Custom option when going to Settings > Ringtones+Sounds > Ringtone. There is no issue about song security. Please explain to me why I have no Custom option in order to select my own ringtone? I have a Nokia Lumia 730... let me know how to resolve,,,,,,,,

SammyD97

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I have searched all day to try and figure out why I am unable to select my own song as a ringtone. It should not have to be such a convoluted process. I have copied the mp3 file into the Ringtones folder, but no matter what I do I do not get a Custom option when going to Settings > Ringtones+Sounds > Ringtone. There is no issue about song security. Please explain to me why I have no Custom option in order to select my own ringtone? I have a Nokia Lumia 730... let me know how to resolve,,,,,,,,

Download Ringtone Maker from the store. The link is in the post above yours.

shreepadg

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site
Thanks windoors for the advice...I bought a Lumia 630 recently. Was facing the same problem. But when I set the genre of the audio clip to "Ringtone" (This can be easily done in Windows Explorer if u r using Win7 on your PC.) and then copy this clip to the Ringtones folder of my phone, I could all my Ringtones (whose Genre was set by me to "Ringtone") under 'Custom' heading...I could easily set that. I agree that this is cumbersone as it appears from the discussion here that android doesn't need all this process, but for me, this is my first smartphone hence I have no issues at all. And I would stick to Windows phone...:)

Ruben Aceves

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
This!!! +! , man this is a fantastic app, works flawlessly. For those of you who can't work out why it wont let you crop where you want, try dragging the area behind the bar, select either above or below it and drag the song past the bar, then adjust the bar :)

Thanks mpt15

Vago Pachuquero

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
Ringtone make is no longer available?? Why? What is Microsoft doing? Why can't I set a text tone or ringtone for individual contacts? I though I was on Android when it told me that I needed to download an app to run that task!!! So it takes you to the store and when you get there it errors out, WTF?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss