Unlocking AT&T 920

enzom09

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone been able to unlock an AT&T windows phones recently? Apparently they have changed their unlock policies online and require you to go through their website and seeing as how I am not an at&T customer I can't get my 920 unlocked (I got it for tmobile). Any ideas on this. Also if anyone wants to be generous and unlock it for me with their account I would gladly give them my imei.

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
yep, they have ****ed everyone.....this is because of the slimy, shady, unethical deal they struck with the FCC last year. This is the most amazingly underhanded thing not being talked about in the tech world right now.

File a BBB complaint. Eventually they will contact you with someone who will unlock it.

Do NOT give out your IMEI to complete strangers.

Please tell us more about said deal.

nwhitemcse

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
I got one unlocked. I had read to use the chat from the international site and tell them you were going to be traveling and you bought a phone off eBay and need it unlocked. When I did this, they said they could unlock it and then came back and said they couldn't because it was still active on an account, they told me to call customer service.

I called AT&T and told them that I bought it off eBay and it was supposed to be unlocked, they checked the lists to make sure it was not lost or stolen and unlocked it for me, he even walked me through unlocking the phone. This was about 4 or 5 months ago. This was surprisingly quite easy.

I hope you get your phone unlocked. We have 2 920's on T-Mobiles LTE network and they work very well.

siulaymama

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
On the GSM side of thing giving out the IMEI is not very bad because your accounting is tie with SIM and not IMEI.

And yes ATT is being completely AH in the area of unlocking. In US, they lost A LOT of customers to TMobile and other MVNO. They decided to just lock the gate, instead of fixing their business/price model.

You can also forget most 3rd party unlock site. I have not run into one that can reliably SIM unlock ATT device. And you can also forget ATT unlock website, even if you match all of their requirements they will still give you some BS reasons like the "sun,moon, star not align correctly" of why your phone can't be unlock. Last time I successful unlock an ATT phone (an off contract very old iphone4) is with my company ATT account rep. on the phone for more than an hour, escalated to the regional manager.

warrentaye

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I have just recently unlocked my 920, worked fine on their request site, took about 3 days to get the unlock code back. Former att user now on tmobile.

lewiedude

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
I have the code from Att feom last year and, as a long time customer, they didn't give me a hassle. However, they told me.that I have to put in a sim from another carrier to enable the phone's unlock screen. I haven't and time to beg a tmo store to give me one. From.wjat I read above, there is a process to do this without the silly 3rd party sim??

enzom09

May 8, 2013
Visit site
@nwhitemcse, you can't use the chat system unless you're a customer, which is my issue since im not. I keep getting very rude people who continue to point me to that damn webpage where it states the provisions you need to get your phone unlocked. I ended up giving the imei to someone and asked them to help. I'll let you know how that goes. *thumbs crossed*

Apaull013

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
I saw the post way back when about talking on international chat in order to unlock your device (I am a current AT&T customer and on contract) and saying that you were going to be out of the country so that they would unlock it. Can anyone vouch that this will still work? I am wanting to unlock it in order to sell it to someone that is on T-Mobile in order to buy/try out a different phone. Will this cause any problems with the contract that anyone knows of? I know when my brother put his sim in an iphone AT&T tried to charge him extra.

Walkerboy79

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Just unlocked my ATT Lumia 920 from 3rd party! Pumped that it worked! Cost $75 However, as soon as phone accepted unlock code, it shut off! I couldn't turn phone on for 5 minutes. Freaked me out! Thought code had wrecked phone somehow. Finally, I held hard reset buttons down almost 10 seconds and phone came back on with nothing reset at all and it was unlocked. I don't know that the hard reset did anything at all. Maybe it was a time sensitive thing. I couldn't even charge phone wired or wireless during this time. Anybody else ever have their phone shut off like that after unlocking?

mig1776

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
I submitted request on the 17Th and received unlock codes yesterday. I'm a current AT&T customer. 920 is a year into contract and 1020 bought full price when it came out.

md007

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I recently bought the Lumia 920 from AT&T outright at no annual contract price for $299. I cancelled the at&t activation and service the same day I picked up the phone from the store and hence am not using at&t service. I was able to submit an unlock request online to get the phone unlocked and received my unlock code promptly in 2 days. I am currently using t-mobile service and am even able to get LTE just fine. No issues and no runaround from at&t. Just my experience.

md007

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Here is how "recently" was it:
Phone bought on January 12, 2014.
Unlocked Requests placed on January 13, 2014.
Unlock codes received on January 15, 2014.'

Hope that helps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs