Lumia 920 scratched screen

EpidemikE1

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
So my wife let my child play use her Lumia 920's kid corner. Well long story short, my child placed the phone face down on the floor an proceeded to sweep the floor with the screen. The screen is now scratched and its very noticeable on an angle where the scratches are located...al of them. Viewing front on, its not really noticeable. I have ATT's insurance on the phone but apparently this kind of damage is not covered...ugh!

My questions are:
1) Any tips on how to reduce the scratches besides sanding down the screen (JK about the sanding)?
2) If I install a screen protector, do you think that the scratches will become more pronounced?
3) Any suggestions on what to do?

:cry:

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I have a couple scratches on my L521 but with a screen protector you would never notice.

I feel your pain, my HTC Surround was used as a ballerina twirl enhancement by my at the time 2yr old once. I put 3 layers of clear tape over the screen to try to help get past those gouges.

EpidemikE1

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Ill try it out the screen protector, but its not as bad but the scratches look like if a brillo pad was used to clean the screen.

TheKinkajou

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I recommend the soft ones you apply wet like xtremeguard. They do a much better job filling in/hiding scratches than the stiffer peel and stick ones which can make the scratches even more pronounced.

Games Goblin

May 26, 2013
Visit site
The way I see it, you have 3 options:

1. Buy a screen protector and stick it on. See it if helps conceal the scratches
2. Since you said you have insurance on the phone, try getting a replacement from AT&T - of course they won't entertain it because of a scratched screen, but you could say some other reason like the proximity sensor is not working sometimes, or if dust has entered your front camera lens, you could cite that as a reason as well. I am not sure about AT&T insurance, you could ask a fellow AT&T member who has swapped his phone for advice.
3. sell the phone on ebay, buy another 920 or any other lumia

Replacing the screen is not worth it in my opinion as I reckon it will set you back ~$150 alone for the display unit. If you add a little extra, you could get a great 920 off ebay. Not to mention the risk of taking apart the phone and doing the repairs.

Hope I was of help.

AndrewL920

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
You should buy a clear screen protector and a back cover protection (Gel case, or otterbox) Naked smart phones are only for rich people. I am poor so my phone is screen and back protected since bought. I can't afford to buy another phone again. My eyes is like this O_O when someone is using my phone for camera or games.

Senad Klepic

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
To be honest, i like to see the phone naked (without the GEL or Silicon back protection) while the display foil is a must have.
P.S (On ebay 21$ goes for a new back cover, keeping in mind how its easy replaceable i don't have to worry).

alphonsohall

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I am convinced that the 920 screen quality control is not consistent.
My first 920 screen colours were crisp and vivid, and the screen itself felt very glass like and slippy to the touch and the glass didnt have any micro scratches during the time I had it.

I had to return the phone due to a fault, but the replacement I received was completely different as far as the screen was concerned, the screen had a more 'grippy' feel to it rather than a preferable 'slippy' feel when sliding my finger over it and the colours were more washed out than my previous 920 and also I got loads of micro scratches on the screen, even though I was careful about avoiding such things.

I had this replacement for a year and I thought that I probably imagined the difference between this and the previous one but, recently, this one also became faulty under warranty so it was exchanged for another new 920 and this one is so much better, and just like the original one I had, there is a very noticeable difference regarding the screen, it is much smoother and 'slippy' when running my finger over it, just like my original 920 was, and the screen colours are better...........also, the screen seems more scratch resistant, it seems to be a different coating than the previous one, and not a mark on it so far.

EpidemikE1

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I am convinced that the 920 screen quality control is not consistent.
My first 920 screen colours were crisp and vivid, and the screen itself felt very glass like and slippy to the touch and the glass didnt have any micro scratches during the time I had it.

I had to return the phone due to a fault, but the replacement I received was completely different as far as the screen was concerned, the screen had a more 'grippy' feel to it rather than a preferable 'slippy' feel when sliding my finger over it and the colours were more washed out than my previous 920 and also I got loads of micro scratches on the screen, even though I was careful about avoiding such things.

I had this replacement for a year and I thought that I probably imagined the difference between this and the previous one but, recently, this one also became faulty under warranty so it was exchanged for another new 920 and this one is so much better, and just like the original one I had, there is a very noticeable difference regarding the screen, it is much smoother and 'slippy' when running my finger over it, just like my original 920 was, and the screen colours are better...........also, the screen seems more scratch resistant, it seems to be a different coating than the previous one, and not a mark on it so far.

This is a 920 from launch so I dont think its a quality control issue. My daughter literally used the phone to scrub a laminate floor.

I tried a screen protector to see if it hides or minimizes the scratches but the one I used actually enhances them.

The inital reason why the phone was naked was because my wife and I prefer our devices that way. It is a glossy red Lumia 920 so it was used naked to show off that sexy red phone. The crux of the issue is my wife gave her phone to our daughter and left it unattended.

Its a working phone so I'd be leery to replace the screen myself and damage anything.

Games Goblin, great suggestion. I'll check and see what I can coral out ATT by suggesting something else defective. If the replacement cost is too high via insurance, i.e. $100, I wont go that route and cancel the insurance with ATT.

I was hesitant to use a screen protect due to past experiences but after using a Skinomi skin protector on my 1520 (and liking the quality/install) a screen protector will be going on any new phone in this household.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. ill let you all know what the final outcome.

taekkwon

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
Just bought from ebay a Lumia 920 LCD + digitizer + frame supposed to be original but... it does not look like one. It seems like a cheap digitizer or LCD repair. This is because looking carefully i can see some dots from the LCD matrix... not pixels but dots. Looking to my original LCD frame i can't see anything, and looking for both side by side it's clear the diference. Even the earpiece hole in the digitizer seems to have some plastic inside.

Anyone with similar experience?

Thanks

mcalistri

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Hi EpidemikE1,

I bought some years ago a sort of paste (seems like a teeth paste) which serves exactly to remove little scratches from cell screen.
You simply put a small amount of the product on the screen and then rub with a cotton swab on the damaged part.
It works quite well of course if the scratches is deep you cannot do a lot but for thinner scratches I think is a very good solution.
Other option is to carry the phone to an authorized center and ask how much is to replace the screen.

Good Luck!

lcw731

May 29, 2012
Visit site
The way I see it, you have 3 options:

2. Since you said you have insurance on the phone, try getting a replacement from AT&T - of course they won't entertain it because of a scratched screen, but you could say some other reason like the proximity sensor is not working sometimes, or if dust has entered your front camera lens, you could cite that as a reason as well. I am not sure about AT&T insurance, you could ask a fellow AT&T member who has swapped his phone for advice.
Not to mention you will get a reconditioned phone AT&T SWEARS was reconditioned, but is actually a phone someone else returned for another problem, and if AT&T's third party contractor who hires through a temp agency could not duplicate the problem in a 20 second half-hearted attempt, simply threw it back in inventory and sent back out to the next victim (T-mo-, Sprint, and Verizon all do the same thing BTW).. FRU phones suck, if everything else on your phone works like you want it to, stick with the phone and get a screen protector.

EpidemikE1

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Not to mention you will get a reconditioned phone AT&T SWEARS was reconditioned, but is actually a phone someone else returned for another problem, and if AT&T's third party contractor who hires through a temp agency could not duplicate the problem in a 20 second half-hearted attempt, simply threw it back in inventory and sent back out to the next victim (T-mo-, Sprint, and Verizon all do the same thing BTW).. FRU phones suck, if everything else on your phone works like you want it to, stick with the phone and get a screen protector.

Great point, I am no fan of refurbs so I may just stick with the 920 in it current condition.

lcw731

May 29, 2012
Visit site
I have a scratched screen as well. Not horrible, but not pleasant either. I ordered a Xtreme guard protector earlier this week. Once I get it an install it I'll let you know how well it covered the scratches and if it impacted the touch screen sensitivity at all.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

lcw731

May 29, 2012
Visit site
Got the screen protector today. Installed in minutes. Very easy. Covered most of the scratches. There is still one that is visible, but really only if you hold it in the light at the right angle. Interesting side benefit my typing seems to be more accurate and sensitive than the bare screen.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99