Why is "Black" update expunging battery capacity on WP8 instead of prolonging it ?!?

Cheeky Ghosty

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
I don't know why, but the word expunging makes me **** myself laughing! On a relevant note, my Lumia 920 has never had good battery life on any firmware, I'm yet to upgrade to Black (Not yet available for me OTA). I think battery life is an issue that the OS is being bitten with. I believe there are processes etc getting stuck and chomping through the battery. You know how the phone gets hot when playing subway surfers etc....thats the phone running flat knacker and chewing battery, but the three 920 handsets I've been through all at times just randomly do something that heats the handset up and is chewing he battery. I hope they kill these bugs going forward, shame that it sounds like Black has not remedied any of these :(

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Battery life seems a little poorer for me too.

All in all, I've not been hugely impressed by Black. RAW support is great but something that I haven't really spent much time on as yet. A 'better' task manager is a good too but beyond that, I'm failing to see what all the fuss is about.

I'm still stuck with a phone which I'm unable to import my favourites to. A forward button would improve browsing too. Bluetooth connections are still a little unstable at times and there's still no way to make devices trusted which is a pita for sharing multiple files. Haven't checked if NFC works with any more devices as yet. I'm still unable to track forward on a music or video file by touching the timeline...I have to press and hold to skip forward. I'm still not entirely satisfied with notifications. It's great that they have been added to Glance but it's still an area lightyears behind other OS's.

Then there's the App Folders debacle. Nokia had months to work on that app and it has been released with a monumental bug. Madness.

Although not Black's fault, the missus has started to experience calls when the person on the other end cannot hear her and as a result hangs up. It turns out quite a few other Lumia are also affected by this bug. This just adds to the annoyance.

You'd think a smartphone would be a little smarter.

Probably not the right place for this mini-rant. Feel free to move elsewhere.

Last edited:

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Do you guys still seeing the problem of the battery status is not actually reporting the correct battery life even with Black update? I was seeing 91% with airplane mode today, and after I restarted the phone, the battery status increased to 96% rather. Something is just not right.

jeetu4444

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Guys i have taken a huge step of hard format my phone. I have lost all data. Obv i have taken a backup. Now i,have set my,phone back and my Microsoft account got my contacts messages and all,apps r installed again. Now iam only pinning apps that i really use. Deleted few apps tat i don't need. Earlier my battery drain was 6 percent , now its 1.5 to 2.5 percent. Have been using phone to set my tiles my fb and other social account. Will get back with my battery status soon.

Sent from my RM-875_im_india_230 using Tapatalk

WavingReds

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Guys i have taken a huge step of hard format my phone. I have lost all data. Obv i have taken a backup. Now i,have set my,phone back and my Microsoft account got my contacts messages and all,apps r installed again. Now iam only pinning apps that i really use. Deleted few apps tat i don't need. Earlier my battery drain was 6 percent , now its 1.5 to 2.5 percent. Have been using phone to set my tiles my fb and other social account. Will get back with my battery status soon.

Sent from my RM-875_im_india_230 using Tapatalk

Yeah same thing happened to me after the Black update, I was draining much more normal than before but after hard factory reset and losing 6tinder (w/e) my batter is now 55% at 19 hours of normal use.

jeetu4444

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Yes guys I suggest all u people who getting major battery drain do a hard format your phone. I did tat and battery life is good again.. I have app folder installed but havent used it yet.

sent from lumia 1020 or note 2

TheSnapDude

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
I just got my Nokia Lumia 1020 yesterday, and I had an update out of the box that I downloaded and installed. I do not think it was the "Black" update because I still have 2 camera apps (Pro cam, and smart cam). I checked for new updates today, and it said there aren't any pending... How do I get the "Black" update on my phone?

SKMitchell

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
SnapDude, I just went through the same thing. Here's what to do:

First, get the latest extra+info app - extras+info | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

Then, go to Settings > extras+info to see if you have the Black update (if it says "Black" you've got it, otherwise, you don't).

Finally, to get the right camera, search the store for Nokia Camera and install it. That'll replace your Pro Cam. After that you can uninstall your Smart Cam because those features are included with Nokia Camera.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786