Why is "Black" update expunging battery capacity on WP8 instead of prolonging it ?!?

A L1

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
I believe that I am not the only one who's noticed that the battery life has been significantly reduced from Amber to Black...
I see that on 920 and 1020...lessened more on 920...
It's a pity!
I though that usually these updates tend to push it up.
What's your observation ? What do you think ? Am I the only one ?? :unhappysweat:

neJANIS

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
Hardy to say.
I bought my Lumia 920 last week. For the first three days I had pretty bad battery life I could barely make it till end of the day, than I got Black update and now battery is much better. It lasts ~1.5 day.
But I don't think it has anything to do with update itself, as battery is usually worse first few days.

DAIMONDY

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Since the black update i believe my battery on my 1020 is not as good as before. Not really sure what's causing it. I do have appfolders now but i like it so don't really want to uninstall it and it is disabled in background.

bradhicks

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
After the first day I would have agreed with you. After the update it seemed to be chewing through a minimum of 3% an hour without even being used. But after a couple of restarts (I turn my phone off every night), it's been about 4 days now since I upgraded and it seems to have settled down. Have had my phone off charge for two hours with a bit of email checking and social media checking through the "People" app and battery is still at 100%...

jeetu4444

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I guess any,new update needs time to,settle,down...few days after black battery life was way shorter than amber....but now,i,guess it better...i think to get max out of,black we,should format the,phone...and install stuff again....thats wat i use to,do,on Symbian and,android too. Will format my phone soon to,check...

Sent from my Nokia 1020 RM-875_im_india_230 using Tapatalk

TruPlaya187

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I guess any,new update needs time to,settle,down...few days after black battery life was way shorter than amber....but now,i,guess it better...i think to get max out of,black we,should format the,phone...and install stuff again....thats wat i use to,do,on Symbian and,android too. Will format my phone soon to,check...

Once you have formatted the phone, please post back to see if it makes a difference.

rmeigs

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
The 'Black' update has had no impact on my 1020's battery life. Good as ever.

And I'm using the App Folder app.

Last edited:

thaddyusmaximus

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I think the APP FOLDER App is the culprit. I had black update back in December and didn't experience this drain. My typical usage would have me at around 60% before I charge it again at night but now i'm below 40% ever since I installed APP FOLDER. I just uninstalled APP FOLDER. We'll see how it goes tomorrow.

RainbowSeven

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
I believe that I am not the only one who's noticed that the battery life has been significantly reduced from Amber to Black...
I see that on 920 and 1020...lessened more on 920...
It's a pity!
I though that usually these updates tend to push it up.
What's your observation ? What do you think ? Am I the only one ?? :unhappysweat:

+1

About 5-15% / hour IDLE drain, connected to my laptop all the time because of that :(

Shinigami910

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
app folders is the culprit. battery life was terrible while it was installed, and after removing it my battery became better than amber

quite surprising I made a thread regarding it being a battery drainer but no one ever raised the same issue there when they are doing it here?
http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-1020/258719-app-folders-app-battery-drain.html

I dont have app folders installed on my 920. And i have still noticed a significant difference in battery life since updating to black

Vavron

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
My battery life got even better with Black update, can reach 3 days with light usage. Just perform a soft reset, block any applications from working on the backround and it should be good.

ktl88

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Yeah same here on my 920. Noticed a big battery drain issue.
I was using the App Folder, but due to the random reboot issue, I uninstalled it, but the battery drain still persists.
I've really started disliking these updates from Nokia now, coz even my photos are worse. The best pics could be taken with portico.
Nokia, are you listening!

thaddyusmaximus

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
APP folder was the culprit for me as well. Uninstalled yesterday and now getting the typically normal battery life I'm used to. Removed from charger at 7am now @ 4:30pm and still @ 70%. When I had APP folders installed I would be @ 40%. This happened each day for 3 days ever since I installed the app. I'm using a US ATT 1020 with GDR3 Preview / with Nokia Black update installed back in December.

jeetu4444

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Guys after few battery cycles..my phone is back to good battery life as good as amber...thou iam,gonna do a hard reset to my fone to check,my actual battery,life should be with Lumia black..i have app folder installed. Will uninstall it and check battery life...

GizmoEV

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Since the black update i believe my battery on my 1020 is not as good as before. Not really sure what's causing it. I do have appfolders now but i like it so don't really want to uninstall it and it is disabled in background.
I have Amber on my 920 and discovered that App Folders drained the battery really fast. Uninstalling it gave back my good battery life.

Adam Loh

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
No issued on my Lumia 925, battery works fine...have great updates like the screen rotation,but I want more from apps folder, maybe a notification on the folder. To let me know the message from my whatapps.

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
No issued on my Lumia 925, battery works fine...have great updates like the screen rotation,but I want more from apps folder, maybe a notification on the folder. To let me know the message from my whatapps.

would have to be seeable with the smallest tile for the app folder, guess it could be done. I had wondered about the same thing as well.

jeetu4444

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I have app folder installed...wen my phone is doing nothing...battery show it will last 4 days....I have 6 apps allowed in background. ..wifi is connected most of the time...thou I have 2g internet on aswell....iam a heavy user...I get around 16 hrs with it and 1.5 days with medium use. I use bluetooth to play music in my car. Take few pics ....little social stuff and all. Iam still gonna format my phone and install all stuff again. Just need a free day to do all this. Do we have any good app for back up ?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6