Beastgrip with Nokia Lumia 1020

Sam Baker

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Hello!

So, my beastgrip finally arrived from america! Here are some photo's

I've got an ND filter on there at the moment, but I'm looking to get some lenses to attach to it. I'm using a 37mm-52mm adapter (made by polaroid) with it too.

Took a little head scratching to work out how to mount it with the 1020 (because of the camera bump), but you just need to install some extra plates and then it fits fine.

I figured I'd post it here in case anyone had any questions cause there were some threads talking about it before.

Sam

Attachments

• image-2.jpeg
    image-2.jpeg
    679.1 KB · Views: 23
  • image-4.jpeg
    image-4.jpeg
    667.3 KB · Views: 23
  • image-5.jpeg
    image-5.jpeg
    618.7 KB · Views: 25

Sam Baker

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Because of the size of the 1020, you don't really have a grip with both hands. Whereas with the right hand side you have that red bar to grip on to, the left hand side there isn't enough room because of the 1020. You can still grab on to something but not the same as the right side. At first I thought this was a bit annoying but the right hand side's bar is stronger than the rest of the whole device, and I think that intentional because holding it with just one hand is actually very easy.

Other than that, it would be nice to get access to the shutter button but for obvious reasons this is asking too much, after all, it's got to be adaptable to numerous smartphones and it's not really an issue anyway

I'm still trying to figure out how to get some of my canon lenses on there

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I personally don't see the point of that massive thing. If you want to carry that much crap around you might as well take your DSLR.

The whole point of smartphone photography is that you can use it without all the bulk of carrying a DSLR, and this grip kind of negates that whole thing.

Sam Baker

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
I think the point is that I would only like to spend 1 lot of ?500, and I have chosen that to be my phone. I don't want to spend an additional ?500 on a dslr, so by buying this ?50 grip I can play around with filters and learn more about photography

Sam Baker

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
And to be honest, with some of the shots I've seen the 1020 take, I'm willing to accept the 1020 as a dslr replacement (up to a certain point)

Crasstoe

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
How many DSLRs do you know of with a 41MP sensor and are able to take calls?

I know sensor size plays a part but i am much happier using the 1020 purely for the UI when using Nokia Camera, not to mention price!

My BeastGrip arrived yesterday, all I need to arrive now is the adapter for my Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar lens ��

Sam Baker

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
How many DSLRs do you know of with a 41MP sensor and are able to take calls?

I know sensor size plays a part but i am much happier using the 1020 purely for the UI when using Nokia Camera, not to mention price!

My BeastGrip arrived yesterday, all I need to arrive now is the adapter for my Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar lens ��

Haha! That's the lens I'm going to be using too! Which adapter did you buy?

Crasstoe

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Got a M37 - 42mm on the way, and then a set of M42 macro filterson the way to get the image into focus.

The 1020s downfall is it can't focus on anything closer than 15cm! Adding a couple of macro filters in line will mean I can mount the lens properly. Annoyingly I am abroad with work for the week and I KNOW it is going to turn up whilst I am away!

Here's mine;
12016494683_ca2eb1ee81_b.jpg

Samuel Yung

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
This rig looks really nice and it will be on my buying list for sure. Just one question, is the whole thing make up of plastic? I wonder if it's rigid enough from daily abuse...

BTW, for the argument of "I'll take my DSLR if I need to do it serious", what I believe is, this makes a very good macro adaptor for 1020. If you use DSLR for macro photography, besides the sheer size of camera, lenses and tripod, just the tripod setup and composing for macro shots alone takes a great deal of time, even when comparing the setup of this 1020+Beastgrip combo. And I know what I'm talking... I'm a pro photographer which uses 5DII, Phase One digital back and 4x5 large format. So I think it do have advantages.

Alon Rozenblit

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Got a M37 - 42mm on the way, and then a set of M42 macro filterson the way to get the image into focus.

The 1020s downfall is it can't focus on anything closer than 15cm! Adding a couple of macro filters in line will mean I can mount the lens properly.

Crasstoe, could you maybe post links to the product pages of the adapter and macro filters? Maybe a tiny mini-guide for us non-knowledgeable? :)

Thanks!

Crasstoe

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
No problem. Once everything has arrived and I have it together I'll do a mini guide. There has been a lot of research and I've learnt so much about photography from this little build, I'd be honoured to write a mini guide if it is any help.

Obviously each camera is different but I should be able to do a pretty easy to follow guide explaining why things are needed for the adapter and what to change for different phones / lenses.

shkshaka

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
ommmmmmggggg... I'm willing to get mine...
but Idk anything about lenses or so... im totally newbie in this area... would you help me? can't wait for reviews with the beastgrip... please, do it asap :p

Crasstoe

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
How you getting on with it Wesleyshark? Got any lenses or projects in mind?

Sent from my RM-875_eu_euro1_211 using Tapatalk

Wesleyshark

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
How you getting on with it Wesleyshark? Got any lenses or projects in mind?

Sent from my RM-875_eu_euro1_211 using Tapatalk

I LOVE IT. It's such a breeze to apply and to also remove, but at the same time, it stays secured while in use. It provides a lot of stability and the grips make the phone so much easier to manage while trying to get that perfect shot. The massive size of the phone almost requires something like this to exist, I'd argue. Thankfully, this chassis does the trick!

The developer is sending me some new extensions that he redesigned to better accommodate the 1520, and he's also sending me a lens too, so I'll be updating my thread once those arrive. But so far- it's been a wonderful experience.

Took this the other day using Beastgrip and a tripod:

WP_20140424_11_20_04_Pro20140424113020140424115128.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3