Switch from 1020 to 925, yes or no?

matthoms

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I currently own a 1020 and have for the past 4 months or so. I had a 920 before that but had awful battery life. I've run into numerous hardware issues with the 1020 and am now contemplating on asking AT&T to ship me a 925. To you current 925 users out there, what do you think? I'm not to concerned about the camera but more so the battery life. I need it to last me 12-15 hours with medium to heavy usage. My 1020 has always been able to do that. I've had other problems with it such as restarting randomly, camera malfunctions, and the screen not displaying color. I just want to know what you 925 users think about your phones and if you think the switch to a 925 from a 1020 would be a good idea.

Thanks guys!

Armin Mhd

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I currently own a 1020 and have for the past 4 months or so. I had a 920 before that but had awful battery life. I've run into numerous hardware issues with the 1020 and am now contemplating on asking AT&T to ship me a 925. To you current 925 users out there, what do you think? I'm not to concerned about the camera but more so the battery life. I need it to last me 12-15 hours with medium to heavy usage. My 1020 has always been able to do that. I've had other problems with it such as restarting randomly, camera malfunctions, and the screen not displaying color. I just want to know what you 925 users think about your phones and if you think the switch to a 925 from a 1020 would be a good idea.

Thanks guys!

i dont like my battery life on the 925. And ive had many hardware issues with my 925 and exchanged it 4 times. So i dont recommend it the battery life is 8 hours with medium to heavy use. So when i get back home at 3 or 4 i have 20% or less. Nice design but many problems.

Ultimateone

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I've never had a problem with my 925 and I owned the 1020 since last August or release. I also have a bit better battery life with the 925.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Remember the 925 has only 16 gigs. You might be better off with a 920 or another 1020.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Love my 925, haven't had any problems either. I've been very happy with the three windows phones I've had, the quantum, this 925, and a 520 I bought for travel. All excellent devices that I'd buy again. My girlfriend has a 1020 and is excellent too. I hear about people having 4 or 5 devices and just don't get it. Oh well, maybe they're just far pickier than we are.

QwarkDreams

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I can't share Armin Mhd's experiences.
Ok, the backcover feels not high quality and I'm kinda worried about getting dents in the alu-frame but other than that I'm very pleased with it.
The battery on mine lasts on work days the whole day: unplug it at 7am and plug it in again at about 10pm (no wifi at work) with still 55-60% battery life left. On my commute (~30min) I read news over LTE, at work I check in over Foursquare using GPS, some more news, looking whats up on Facebook and Twitter during breaks (signal at work isn't the best so it sucks a bit more battery), during work I listen to music and audio books and sometimes I stream music or listen to the radio (about 3-4h). Also I send some emails, write sms and make some phone calls (all in all about 1,5h of intensiv use). And on my way home I read some news again (~30min).

I don't even worry when I'm going out to meet friends about charging it some more when it has 50% left (most times going out at 8pm and coming home at about 2-3am with still 20-30% left; but honestly when I'm going out I don't use my phone that much, most battery drain is caused by bad signal reception because of thick reinforced concrete walls).

Bottomline: I can't say a bad word about the battery life of the 925 at all.

But if you have problems with your 1020, why don't you get a replacement? You should still have warranty left.

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Well my first windows phone was a 1020 but I didn't like it because it just didn't feel comfortable in my hand plus I didn't like the yellow. The phone worked flawlessly and the camera was great but it was just not for me.

I then got the 925 and gave the 1020 to my wife (which she loves) and I love the 925 The battery in the 925 seems to be a little better as well. To me the 925 looks and is a premium product compared to the 1020 I'm not saying the 1020 is not good or cheep looking, it just wasn't for me.

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
i dont like my battery life on the 925. And ive had many hardware issues with my 925 and exchanged it 4 times. So i dont recommend it the battery life is 8 hours with medium to heavy use. So when i get back home at 3 or 4 i have 20% or less. Nice design but many problems.

8 hours????

WOW! You have a HUGE problem with your battery performance, too many apps in Background Tasks or just you're a REALLY heavy user.

My Lumia 925 have 50%~60% at 6PM. 1h browsing, 20~30 minutes playing, 30 minutes of video, 4G always ON and a LOT of Whatsapp.

Cryio

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
I don't know the recent state of affair for the Lumia 92x and 1020 range after Black, but when 1020 launched with Amber, it was considered to be the best Lumia performer after the 720.

920, 925 and 1020 have the same specs and battery (1020 has 1 GB of ram more), but the L920 does have a less efficient display. So basically you should get the same battery on the L925 as on the 1020.

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I don't know the recent state of affair for the Lumia 92x and 1020 range after Black, but when 1020 launched with Amber, it was considered to be the best Lumia performer after the 720.

920, 925 and 1020 have the same specs and battery (1020 has 1 GB of ram more), but the L920 does have a less efficient display. So basically you should get the same battery on the L925 as on the 1020.

Lumia 1020 have a huge deficiency with battery performance. Maybe because 2GB RAM, screen resolution, I don't know. But it is known that 1020 has problems with battery life.

furboll929

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
I've had mine for a little over a month now and I love it. I don't talk on the phone a lot since I have computer apps and such for when I'm at work, but I do play Xbox games and such while at lunch, and sometimes play music on the car ride home. By the time charfe it at night before I go to bed, it still has at least 20 percent left.

NightOrchid

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
I wanted to buy a 1020, but the sim free price is too much, so 925 it was..

This is why, as an app designer, programmer and repairs, I always use Unlocked / Sim Free phones and buy sim only 30-day deals. Its not as bad over here in the UK as it is in the US, but carriers have a nasty habit of manufacturing and changing out their own hardware and software to suit the carriers needs not MS/Nokias, such as: unique carrier only bloatware.. that always run in the background, camera and button alterartions, new internal workings to make these carrier only features work.. and so on, so you dont really know whats going on behind the scenes of your phone.. Just about every issue ive ever read or had to fix on a phone is always from a device with a carriers own changes, be it Android or WP8.

It maybe worth having a look at an unlocked device, with pure untouched WP8 as Nokia/Microsoft intended it to be.

Hope that Helps, Good Luck :smile::smile:

Last edited:

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I wanted to buy a 1020, but the sim free price is too much, so 925 it was..

This is why, as an app designer, programmer and repairs, I always use Unlocked / Sim Free phones and buy sim only 30-day deals. Its not as bad over here in the UK as it is in the US, but carriers have a nasty habit of manufacturing and changing out their own hardware and software to suit the carriers needs not MS/Nokias, such as: unique carrier only bloatware.. that always run in the background, camera and button alterartions, new internal workings to make these carrier only features work.. and so on, so you dont really know whats going on behind the scenes of your phone.. Just about every issue ive ever read or had to fix on a phone is always from a device with a carriers own changes, be it Android or WP8.

It maybe worth having a look at an unlocked device, with pure untouched WP8 as Nokia/Microsoft intended it to be.

Hope that Helps, Good Luck :smile::smile:

Can I ask then, I have two UK 925's and one unlocked and unbranded (made in Hungary) and the other is unlocked but is branded (made in China) Now it may be just me thinking it but the unbranded one seems to have better battery. However the one made in Hungary has a much brighter glance screen.

My question is would I be better to unbrand the branded one and if so what would be the best way to do it.

Thanks.

NightOrchid

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Unlike Android bootloaders and kernels, which is open source, therefre hackable, WP8, like Apple is a closed platform and kernel, therefore, unhackable to a certain extent. Usually locked to either the carriers own firmware changes or Nokias/MS own system locks.

The China version you have is the one which most UK carriers use (Electronic goods cheaper to put together in China/Taiwan), locked or unlocked, if you have one from Hungary its most likley an import hence unlocked, so itll probably have different characteristics such a removable battery or SD Card slot.. as they are built to that countries specifications where patent laws are not so strict.

Sim Free and Unlocked are NOT the same.. Sim Free means you can use any sim card in it, but the APN is still locked to the carrier (Using the carriers own Branded bootloader or kernel) which means your update will still most likely come from the carrier, hence why it may still run the same way because the carriers own Lock is still there.. sometimes if you look in Wifi settings, a branded device may have a set unchangable proxy address to tye carriers servers, so the device belongs to the carrier, not Nokia. Also check in Settings > About.. look at carrier: its still set to your last carrier (ORGGB - Orange and so on..) )even thoughi its SIM free.

Unlocked / Unbranded (Hungary device) means they are Open devices (Open Proxy or Open to Nokia servers) to Nokias servers and not bound to a carrier, so they can be updated by Nokia/MS without the update having to be checked and Software added in order to correspond to the carriers Hardware, such as different brightness settings or battery behaviour. Check About.. itll say something like GB or OPEN... Also check Settings > Extras and Info at the Correspodence ID, which is the same.

I am aware sim free devices can be unbranded but they must be rooted first and unlike Samsung or Android where theyre rooted then flashed with CWM or ODIN, its extreemely complicated using Windows Command Lines and 3rd party hack software and Unlike Android where they can be flashed back with a Stock rom, MS/Nokia will not repair them if you damage them

With regard to your "Nokia Glance", check the dimmer times and settings.. have you mised something.. if not, it may be a change in GDR3 from your carrier, as GDR3 is from MS, changed by your Carrier, Black is firmware from Nokia.

However, please check here:

Windows Phone 8 Development and Hacking - xda-developers

If you wish to try, but its a messy business and I dont want to be responsible for breaking your phone.

OR if you live in UK, try here to trade it in for an unlocked one:

https://uk.webuy.com/

The only WP8 device capable of being JailBroken / Hacked fairly easily is the Samsung Ativ S which can be Interope unlocked, but again thats another story :)

Whatever you decide to do though, good luck,
If you wish to discuss hacking/breaking bootloaders and kernels, Can I also recommend that you open a new thread as this may lead to a new discussion and is off topic of the OPs question :)

Cheers

Last edited:

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Well they are both UK phones and you say that it might have a removable battery or sd card slot. I have never seen or heard of a 925 with either of them. Also what or where are the dimmer setting?

As you can see they are both UK phones.

Attachments

• IMG_20140119_014600.jpg
    IMG_20140119_014600.jpg
    984 KB · Views: 5

anon(8141431)

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Lumia 1020 have a huge deficiency with battery performance. Maybe because 2GB RAM, screen resolution, I don't know. But it is known that 1020 has problems with battery life.
it is because you use the camera too much... can't blame you.. With a great camera like that , no one can resist taking photos on the 1020

QwarkDreams

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
The China version you have is the one which most UK carriers use (Electronic goods cheaper to put together in China/Taiwan), locked or unlocked, if you have one from Hungary its most likley an import hence unlocked, so itll probably have different characteristics such a removable battery or SD Card slot.. as they are built to that countries specifications where patent laws are not so strict.

You're kidding, right?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb