Hi people my name is daivd. I would like to tether ny Nokia Lumia 521, I already know how to with an android or driod X. But when I try to tether it didn't work and when I try to go to internet sharing I have to pay 10$ monthly for tethering. Talk about money hungry. I dunno what to do I've already tried ##634# and I found out that that was disable with the new amber update I have thought used the ##3282# field test and made it 3g for battery saving
    01-19-2014 11:12 AM
    01-19-2014 02:50 PM
    Tried it doesn't work
    01-19-2014 05:40 PM
    It's the same BS money grabbing practice on ATT. If I pay for data, it should be entirely up to me how I decide to use that data. Why the hell should I pay more just to tether?
    01-19-2014 07:53 PM
    It's the same BS money grabbing practice on ATT. If I pay for data, it should be entirely up to me how I decide to use that data. Why the hell should I pay more just to tether?
    Blame the iPhone. The carriers have an all or nothing policy on tethering. They either have to allow everyone to do it (and risk overloading the network) or only allow those on high end data plans be able to use it. The iPhone is a very data hungry device compared to Android and AT&T still has the most iPhone users. T-Mobile doesn't have the bandwidth to handle the onslaught if they opened the pipes to everyone. (Or so, I have read anyway when I looked into this issue.)
    To the OP: Best bet is to pay the extra $10 a month or go back to Android.
    01-20-2014 12:19 AM
    Blame the iPhone. The carriers have an all or nothing policy on tethering. They either have to allow everyone to do it (and risk overloading the network) or only allow those on high end data plans be able to use it. The iPhone is a very data hungry device compared to Android and AT&T still has the most iPhone users. T-Mobile doesn't have the bandwidth to handle the onslaught if they opened the pipes to everyone. (Or so, I have read anyway when I looked into this issue.)
    To the OP: Best bet is to pay the extra $10 a month or go back to Android.
    That does not make sense to me. How am I overloading the network more by tethering when I have e.g. 5gb data limit. I will use that data regardless, so how is it different to use the data on the phone itself or use it while tethering? It makes no difference for the network provider.
    It's different if you are on unlimited data, but if you are paying for a set amount of data, then why the hell should you not be able to use it however the hell you want?
    01-20-2014 01:14 AM
    That does not make sense to me. How am I overloading the network more by tethering when I have e.g. 5gb data limit. I will use that data regardless, so how is it different to use the data on the phone itself or use it while tethering? It makes no difference for the network provider.
    It's different if you are on unlimited data, but if you are paying for a set amount of data, then why the hell should you not be able to use it however the hell you want?
    Do you think that because you pay for a set amount of data, that your data simply stops when you hit the cap? Nope. And in the case of T-Mobile, all they do is slow you to 3G speeds after a certain amount of data is used, but they have no caps. And you seem to be under the impression that you can only use one device when you tether. You do realize you are creating a mobile hotspot. Say you live in a dorm room with 4G LTE speeds of 50mb per second on an unlimited plan. You let 5 of your buddies onto your hotspot. Unless you turn off that hotspot, it is always open and sucking down data. Imagine this scenario times a million. Or 10 million. Think a carrier like Sprint or TMobile can handle the bandwidth at this point in time? You have to think of the worst case scenario if your are a carrier and ensure your customers are happy. Having data packets and phone calls drop do to overloads makes you lose customers.
    01-20-2014 06:14 PM
    True, alright wonder if rooting gets me anywhere
    01-20-2014 09:15 PM
    True, alright wonder if rooting gets me anywhere
    u can't root or jailbreak WP, your option is to either pay for it or change your plan to one that does support it. The 30 plan does not.
    01-20-2014 09:20 PM
    What you're saying here is logical. The carriers however are not necessarily logical, but they are very good at slimming down their customers' wallets. Charging for tethering on a limited plan is probably as much a way to get more money as anything. It does make sense that on a limited plan you should be allowed to freely tether, but obviously customers are willing to pay to use the data (that they already paid for) via tethering. Why not charge if they'll pay? I'm not saying I like it, but looking at it from their point of view it makes sense to me.
    01-20-2014 11:07 PM
    What you're saying here is logical. The carriers however are not necessarily logical, but they are very good at slimming down their customers' wallets. Charging for tethering on a limited plan is probably as much a way to get more money as anything. It does make sense that on a limited plan you should be allowed to freely tether, but obviously customers are willing to pay to use the data (that they already paid for) via tethering. Why not charge if they'll pay? I'm not saying I like it, but looking at it from their point of view it makes sense to me.
    This is where consumer protection legislation should come in, to protect people from themselves and their ignorance of this carrier BS. When an entity is trying to take advantage of their market position at the expense of weaker parties it is up to the state to introduce proper regulation.
    But that is just my opinion, perhaps some people like to get screwed.
    01-21-2014 08:27 AM
    Can I try nokiagreks.us? To unlock my phone I'm seeing people say it works and people saying it doesn't..

IT DOES NOT WORK
    01-25-2014 08:43 PM
    This is where consumer protection legislation should come in, to protect people from themselves and their ignorance of this carrier BS. When an entity is trying to take advantage of their market position at the expense of weaker parties it is up to the state to introduce proper regulation.
    But that is just my opinion, perhaps some people like to get screwed.
    I don't think the customers are the weaker parties. We vote with our wallets. If we'll pay, why not charge? Any business does that. Prices are set by supply & demand. While legislation may be useful in some cases, I guess I don't feel this is important enough. If you really want to tether without paying, it's easy enough to work around. Those that aren't interested in figuring it out will either pay, or not bother.

That said, I would think that carriers could actually increase revenue if they'd allow tethering on limited plans. Think of someone with a 2GB plan at 40Mbps download speed, tethered to their laptop. They could blow through the limit, and far more, very quickly.
    01-25-2014 09:53 PM
    What plan do you have? I have 2 Lumia 521s and the plan I just upgraded from included 2.5 GB data on each phone. WiFi sharing worked just fine on both even after using up the 2.5 GB when Tmobile throttled it down.

As stated above. The $10.00 is not a bad deal at all. So good in fact, I just got rid of my internet and paying $20.00 more a month (both phones total) and get unlimited data and a dedicated 2.5GB for Wifi Sharing.
    01-25-2014 10:36 PM
    I have a T-Mobile unlimited 45$ plan in trying to find someone/website that will unlock my phone, so I can use internet sharing without paying 15$ a month
    01-26-2014 10:40 AM
    Thanks everyone for your thoughts and suggestions.
    01-27-2014 07:04 PM