Should I buy Lumia 1520

Cronus71

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I can also recommend the 1520. I have L800, L920 and now a L1520. In my opinion the L1520 is only slightly too big when you actually use it for calling, you can of course use the speakerphone too eliminating the appearance of holding a door against your ear. But you would use it more for other things than just making calls.

Once you see the screen on the L1520, you know what "let there be light" means. The battery life is superb on this phablet, even heavy usage, I can manage two days without charging. I also noticed that I use the L1520 a lot more than for example I used the L920, things that you felt you couldn't be arsed to do, and preferred a laptop, you will find doing on the L1520.

Both the L800 and L920 now feel tiny, and I would not be happy having to go back only using them.

The camera on the L1520 is very good too, you will notice a difference from the L920, though in my opinion the L920 takes better low-light photos.

Issues? Well I actually only have one, it's the duplicate photos and duplicate mp3's (common issue, not sure there is a fix) that appeared after I bought an external 64GB SD card. Not a huge issue, more annoying than anything.

theppy

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
I had a L920 until two weeks ago when it died (fell on a pool). And i'm looking for an upgrade, the thing is that, the video quality on this phone is really dissapointing, at least all the videos i've found online are just terrible... how do you users feel about it? (specially the one that owes a L920 as well).
Any opinion will be highly appreciated.

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I can also recommend the 1520. I have L800, L920 and now a L1520. In my opinion the L1520 is only slightly too big when you actually use it for calling, you can of course use the speakerphone too eliminating the appearance of holding a door against your ear. But you would use it more for other things than just making calls.

Once you see the screen on the L1520, you know what "let there be light" means. The battery life is superb on this phablet, even heavy usage, I can manage two days without charging. I also noticed that I use the L1520 a lot more than for example I used the L920, things that you felt you couldn't be arsed to do, and preferred a laptop, you will find doing on the L1520.

Both the L800 and L920 now feel tiny, and I would not be happy having to go back only using them.

The camera on the L1520 is very good too, you will notice a difference from the L920, though in my opinion the L920 takes better low-light photos.

Issues? Well I actually only have one, it's the duplicate photos and duplicate mp3's (common issue, not sure there is a fix) that appeared after I bought an external 64GB SD card. Not a huge issue, more annoying than anything.

So this time, did Nokia changed the image algorithm in such a way, that the pictures under normal light are way better and under low light slightly bad? Is it something hardware dependent or an upcoming firmware update can take better pictures at low light?

Jarip

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site

About duplicate mp3 songs, did you try clean "Album" and "Artist" folders (hidden folders in "Music" folders on your phone's memory, not on SD card) ? - it seems that it build up some database, so if you add the same songs again (deleting them and them adding them again), then it has duplicates for all these songs in its database (deleted ones are still there too) .... so just remove your sd card, then clean "Album" and "Artist" folders, restart and then add your SD card again, so it will build up those folders automatically again ...

By the way, I have not any duplicate problem, not with my Lumia 920 or Lumia 1520 (with 64 Gb SD card) either .... well, I had a such problem a year ago ...

Jarip

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
I had a L920 until two weeks ago when it died (fell on a pool). And i'm looking for an upgrade, the thing is that, the video quality on this phone is really dissapointing, at least all the videos i've found online are just terrible... how do you users feel about it? (specially the one that owes a L920 as well).

I own the both, Lumia 920 and Lumia 1520 ... Well, I do not feel that video quality is disappointing with either one ...

Lumia 1520 shines in imaging & video capture camera comparison with Galaxy Note 3. | NPU

http://allaboutwindowsphone.com/features/item/19120_The_Lumia_1520_stills_camera_h.PHP

Allaboutwindowsphone.com will make a video comparison too soon ....

Cronus71

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
About duplicate mp3 songs, did you try clean "Album" and "Artist" folders (hidden folders in "Music" folders on your phone's memory, not on SD card) ? - it seems that it build up some database, so if you add the same songs again (deleting them and them adding them again), then it has duplicates for all these songs in its database (deleted ones are still there too) .... so just remove your sd card, then clean "Album" and "Artist" folders, restart and then add your SD card again, so it will build up those folders automatically again ...

By the way, I have not any duplicate problem, not with my Lumia 920 or Lumia 1520 (with 64 Gb SD card) either .... well, I had a such problem a year ago ...

I'll send you a PM, so this thread doesn't become something else.

soloist_huaxin

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Better not since I'd read from somewhere that MS supports their devices under a 36-month period. And currently, 1520 does not have any phenomenal advantage over the 920, especially since the latter will also be receiving the Black update. The quad-core processor only helps a little in loading apps and taking shots, plus it supports the 1080p screen and saves battery.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 (RM-937 Malaysia) using Tapatalk

Is it just me, or someone also thinks that you speak against 1520 using, none other than, the 1520...just kidding, good analysis. But I do see the 6inch screen as a plus in productivity(can read more in same screen)

rocwest

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
I've only shot one video so far. Imagine a car hood painted black and polished literally to a mirror finish. It's sitting on sawhorses covered with crinkled kraft paper, outside in an open work area that's under a translucent roof, on a bright sunny day, There's both fluorescent light and filtered sunlight. I was waiting for a tough test and this was it. The video was shot from a distance of four feet as I circled the hood for one minute. I rate the video "pretty good." What stood out:

The reflecting (mirror like) portions of the hood looked great. I could see some fine grain on the adjacent visibly black sections. There were no visible jaggies on the edges of the hood but rather a wavering grain that defined the edges, if that makes sense. The most annoying thing was that the kraft paper - even though it was more or less background - went in and out of focus and alternated between a true brown paper color and a somewhat greenish tint, second by second. I assume that was a function of varying ratios of the types of lighting. The best were the closeups of hood vents reflecting the undulating fiberglass roof?spectacular! I'd be surprised if the video quality wasn't improved with software updates.
-

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Is it just me, or someone also thinks that you speak against 1520 using, none other than, the 1520...just kidding, good analysis. But I do see the 6inch screen as a plus in productivity(can read more in same screen)

Haha. I'm just supporting practicality here, man. The 1520 is supposed to be my first semipermanent WP after I used the 625 for waiting to have the money to buy the 1020 (but eventually I decided to get the 1520).

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

mantonas

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
I just purchased a white L 1520 32gb one and I couldn't be happier with it. I still have a lot to learn about the WP as I've been an Android user for the last few years, but so far so good!

Sent from my RM-937_apac_hong_kong_222 using Tapatalk

Xarok

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I have a HTC 8X, its my first smartphone (I resisted for so long) and now im desperate for a larger screen device as I would mainly use it for texting, emailing, web browsing, general media consumption and gaming.

I don't have a tablet or particularly want one (I'd love a Surface Pro 2 though) so I thought id go for a phablet like the 1520.

I'm going to wait and see what "goldfinger" and "moneypenny" are all about first before I upgrade.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss