Nokia Lumia Icon is NOT YET available!

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Do my eyes deceive me?! :crying::love:

Set Your Location

edit*: Although it's currently showing $777 for the price and it's missing pictures, so I think it's still in the process of being added to the site!

edit***: Ok, they've pulled it off the website and called it an "error". Why must they play games with my heart?!
This same thing happened last week on verizon's test site. I am sure it won't be much longer until it is released.

msft_tinkering

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
Maybe all of these leaks are an indiscriminate marketing ploy. Think about it! The Verizon Test site normally requires a password, and millions of people know about this device yet it hasn't been released.
You are making the mistake of assuming that Verizon has a marketing department that has more than two brain cells dedicated to marketing Windows Phone. They do not. Everything that's leaked out on their site has been in error because if vzw marketing had been functional we would have seen nothing except more droid ads.

Justin Christensen

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
Just did a chat asking about 'a new Windows Phone that I read about'. The rep denied the existance of any new Windows devices, in what almost seemed like a prewritten response. So it looks like they they got a memo out to the service reps to resume pretending it doesn't exist.

Garneth

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
I played the chat game myself, my rep told me:

Rhiannon: I do see that last night we had a site glitch stating that it was available but out of stock. However, we do not offer this device yet, as it is not even available in the US yet.

Seems they got a script for their reps to use.

KevinRahimi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
so, I noticed yesterday they raised the full purchase price of the 928 to $499 and today it's back to $399 so I hope this is a sign they are playing around with the site in anticipation of releasing the phone soon.

It would be great if someone who is "in-the-knowDR" from this site could sprinkle some potential information for everyone waiting....

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Maybe the reason they can't pre-announce device availability for Verizon devices is because Verizon doesn't know how to coordinate all of the moving parts (i.e., a webpage) required for a launch?

This brings up a thought: does Verizon have the healthcare.gov webmasters working on their website?

UncleGrandpa

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I read a post on another thread that was written by a Verizon store employee that just received marketing materials for a Lumia Icon roll out for Feb 6.

I'm inclined to think that unless he was drunk or just messing with us , that may be the date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thedogscar

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Feb 6th, being a Thursday, makes sense.

IMO ... Verizon is trying to cut a better deal with Nokia's potential new owner, Microsoft. That merger has not happened yet, and that is what has delayed this phone for months. Since it is branded Verizon, they need to sell these before the new Nokia's are announced at MWC, which is at the end of February. This would also explain the lack of promotion on the 929. ... Verizon does not want to spend a lot on PR, to have customers mad, the phone they just bought, is 'last years' model. Your average customer will not know ... and techies will know to wait until MWC before buying.
(I have waited months for the 929. What is another couple weeks? If nothing is announced at MWC [which I doubt] ... I will buy a 929 Off-Contract from the MS store)

KevinRahimi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
I read a post on another thread that was written by a Verizon store employee that just received marketing materials for a Lumia Icon roll out for Feb 6.

I'm inclined to think that unless he was drunk or just messing with us , that may be the date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At this point, i'll believe it when i see it. I asked him to post a picture or something of the material so we can see it but until I actually see something I won't believe it.

Justin Christensen

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
Feb 6th, being a Thursday, makes sense.

IMO ... Verizon is trying to cut a better deal with Nokia's potential new owner, Microsoft. That merger has not happened yet, and that is what has delayed this phone for months. Since it is branded Verizon, they need to sell these before the new Nokia's are announced at MWC, which is at the end of February. This would also explain the lack of promotion on the 929. ... Verizon does not want to spend a lot on PR, to have customers mad, the phone they just bought, is 'last years' model. Your average customer will not know ... and techies will know to wait until MWC before buying.
(I have waited months for the 929. What is another couple weeks? If nothing is announced at MWC [which I doubt] ... I will buy a 929 Off-Contract from the MS store)

Agreed, the longer this thing takes to be released, the more likely I am to just wait to see what happens at MWC. I really want to make the switch to WP (from my current Android), but I'm not sure anymore if I'll jump on the Icon on release date (assuming it ever gets released) when it might be one-uped 2-3 weeks later with hardware designed for WP 8.1 (hand gesture sensors, different button placements etc.).

Odds are my 2 1/2 year old Razrs battery will continue to degrade and I'll need a phone soon anyway. I just hope at least the Icon makes it out of limbo before that happens.

IdemanEric

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
At this point, i'll believe it when i see it. I asked him to post a picture or something of the material so we can see it but until I actually see something I won't believe it.

I would pretty much assume that anyone who works for Verizon would be the WORST source of info to use. So far it's been completely unreliable and it's clear there is as little communication from Corporate to the store level as there is from Corporate to the customer.

slowburnaz

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
Agreed, the longer this thing takes to be released, the more likely I am to just wait to see what happens at MWC. I really want to make the switch to WP (from my current Android), but I'm not sure anymore if I'll jump on the Icon on release date (assuming it ever gets released) when it might be one-uped 2-3 weeks later with hardware designed for WP 8.1 (hand gesture sensors, different button placements etc.).

Odds are my 2 1/2 year old Razrs battery will continue to degrade and I'll need a phone soon anyway. I just hope at least the Icon makes it out of limbo before that happens.

Even if there IS some flagship device to be announced at MWC, and it were to be released a month or so later.... given Verizon's past, they'd want a special version of it, and it would probably get released 6 months later than every other network.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster