Nokia Icon is ISIS comaptible!

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Do you people know Isis is the three big cell companies? Verizon, at&t, tmobile. They created it and own it. Of course they want it on all the phones. They need to get in gear and get it up on WP.

They certainly haven't been working very hard. I have been following Isis from the start. It is only available in select areas, only on Android and only a small handful of cards. For the stars to align and real people to use it is nearly impossible.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Wouldn't Google Wallet be better, or is it still locked down on the G2? I have it on my VZW Moto X, but have yet to actually try it.

Google Wallet appears to be locked down on the G2. I don't see any way to tap and pay with Wallet. Hopefully kit Kat will bring full functionality.

pci2k

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Wouldn't Google Wallet be better, or is it still locked down on the G2? I have it on my VZW Moto X, but have yet to actually try it.

I highly doubt Google Wallet would be first choice for Windows Phones, since Google and Microsoft are competitors.

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
The Icon is supposedly a nano-SIM, so the micro- won't transfer without work or replacement. I got the SE (Secure Element) SIM for my 928 last June or July, on my account overview with Verizon it had offered one (for free) so I ordered it. That way I would be ready for mobile payments (ahahahahahaha).

can one still get one for the 928?

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
They certainly haven't been working very hard. I have been following Isis from the start. It is only available in select areas, only on Android and only a small handful of cards. For the stars to align and real people to use it is nearly impossible.

For me the main issue with Isis is there aren't many places yet that accept tap to pay. As far as the selection of cards I found it fairly easy to link my Chase debit card to an American express serve account to use with Isis.

anon6002755

May 17, 2013
Visit site
For me the main issue with Isis is there aren't many places yet that accept tap to pay. As far as the selection of cards I found it fairly easy to link my Chase debit card to an American express serve account to use with Isis.

It feels like an extra step to have to add funds to an extra account just to use it on my g2.

I see now that i can use my debit card as an unlimited backup source for funds at POS locations.

Last edited:

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site

I have been trying to pay attention to the point of sale systems at all of the stores I go to, and most of the big retailers now do have the NFC hardware on their terminals. But for me, it would be even more convenient overseas. I travel a lot and since no one accepts our archaic credit cards anywhere else in the world, this would make life a whole lot easier. And linking cards to American Express Serve would be frustrating since hardly anyone accepts AmEx, here or overseas. Isis just isn't ready for the big time, the carriers are not putting nearly enough effort into making this a reality.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I plan on using Isis with Amex for gas and extras. Each pay check I'll put some money in there and i think it will work fine for that.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I've been thinking about Isis and Google Wallet and both have obstacles preventing mainstream adoption. Isis has limited card support and carriers are blocking the tap to pay feature of Wallet (at least Verizon is). Then there's the big possibility Apple will have a payment system using ibeacon and low energy Bluetooth with no NFC. Looks to me like it's going to be a while before paying with your phone is commonplace.

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I've been thinking about Isis and Google Wallet and both have obstacles preventing mainstream adoption. Isis has limited card support and carriers are blocking the tap to pay feature of Wallet (at least Verizon is). Then there's the big possibility Apple will have a payment system using ibeacon and low energy Bluetooth with no NFC. Looks to me like it's going to be a while before paying with your phone is commonplace.

The biggest obstacle is banks. They refuse to do anything to modernize payments. They hate their own EMV tech and they hate NFC. If they have to spend a penny to upgrade anything they will not do it. It's a shame the rest of the world has left us in the dust and will no longer accept our methods of payment. And the banks just don't care.

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site

I used ISIS to fill up my car in freaking Reed City, Michigan. I don't think there's a location restriction at all. The Wells Fargo/Chase/AMEX thing is the biggest limitation. The second largest limitation is NFC payment terminals, but where I live I have Meijer, Walgreens, my Spartan Store, McDonalds, and 50% of gas stations all with tap to pay terminals.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Isis does have issues, but I think it will be more popular than Google Wallet. If Isis adopts low energy Bluetooth like the iPhone 5 and 5S have it won't be a contest.

pci2k

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
The biggest obstacle is banks. They refuse to do anything to modernize payments. They hate their own EMV tech and they hate NFC. If they have to spend a penny to upgrade anything they will not do it. It's a shame the rest of the world has left us in the dust and will no longer accept our methods of payment. And the banks just don't care.

You're definitely right about banks. I mean, look at what is in the news about them - 85% or more of the ATM's are still running XP! And they don't seem to care about going past the April deadline! I mean hell, if they're being too cheap to update their ATM's, you think they give a crap about updating the rest of their own infrastructure? And finally, this is another reason why they won't embed those chips in debit and credit cards to prevent another Target breach! Ok sorry I got off topic. I am off the soapbox now......

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss