Can I buy an off-contract ICON and use it on AT&T?

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I mean, the title speaks for itself. I know that Verizon uses CDMA(which I think doesn't use SIM cards?), but I thought these things did have SIM cards, so says some people. Can someone clarify?

Scorpio5x0

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
It is a LTE device, so it uses a sim card and should work on AT&T network. And the good thing is all Verizon phones are unlocked. The only thing I would check after the release is if there any complaints of text messaging not working properly. I know people have complained on these forums of having texting issues with other phones, but not totally sure how they got it resolved.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
It is a LTE device, so it uses a sim card and should work on AT&T network. And the good thing is all Verizon phones are unlocked. The only thing I would check after the release is if there any complaints of text messaging not working properly. I know people have complained on these forums of having texting issues with other phones, but not totally sure how they got it resolved.

does that mean that only the LTE will work? AT&T's LTE isn't great where I live so I would rather not rely just on that.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
does that mean that only the LTE will work? AT&T's LTE isn't great where I live so I would rather not rely just on that.

I don't believe all Verizon LTE devices have the same LTE bands available. I mean, they of course all have the LTE bands that Verizon uses, but possible not others. I do know that the Verizon iPhone 5s has more LTE bands, and LTE works on other carriers. If AT&T's LTE isn't great where you live, then you may not care if LTE doesn't work. 3G/HSPA should work fine.

Scorpio5x0

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
There is no positive way to know for sure until it is finally announced and specs are released. But thus far Verizon Windows Phones are capable of working on LTE, CDMA, and GSM networks. I would expect since the Icon is to be a high end device it will also classify as a global device and work on all networks.

boovish

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
No. You will only get H+ and 3G. And barely any Verizon phones are unlocked. Only the Nokia ones because they were nice enough to do that

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site
No. You will only get H+ and 3G. And barely any Verizon phones are unlocked. Only the Nokia ones because they were nice enough to do that

All Verizon smartphones that have LTE are unlocked these days. I remember putting an AT&T SIM in my HTC Imagio several years ago and using it with my work number. Mind you, only the GSM radio is carrier unlocked.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

I used a Verizon iPhone 5 on AT&T, so evidently Apple was nice enough to do it too!

Kebero is correct. The reason they're unlocked is because Verizon is obligated to leave their LTE devices SIM unlocked due to an agreement with the FCC. Their LTE devices have GSM capabilities because that's what LTE uses. A Verizon device that does not have LTE is not unlocked, nor does it have GSM.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
It has nothing to do with LTE. It has to do with the phones having GSM radios. Without GSM radios in the phones (virtually all of Verizon's smart phones are world phones now), it would be brick if you put an ATT SIM in the phone.

Barely any Verizon phones are unlocked...... Umm... No. All Verizon phones that have LTE are prohibited from being carrier locked.

47 CFR 27.16 - Network access requirements for Block C in the 746-757 and 776-787 MHz bands. | LII / Legal Information Institute
[TIP](e) Handset locking prohibited. No licensee may disable features on handsets it provides to customers, to the extent such features are compliant with the licensee's standards pursuant to paragraph (b)of this section, nor configure handsets it provides to prohibit use of such handsets on other providers' networks.[/TIP]

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Verizon has had world phones for years.

It depends on the radio the phone has. There's a good chance you'll be stuck with a phone that only uses Wifi or EDGE.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
This Verizon/AT&T thing is a total mess. If you are following the debacle that is going on with the moto G (99$ verizon only version) and verizon you would know what I mean. How in the world could the FCC allow things to get this out of hand. Phones that only work on certain carriers, phones that only work on certain parts of the network of certain carriers etc, etc, etc. Its like a bad b movie. And we are being made to watch it.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
This Verizon/AT&T thing is a total mess. If you are following the debacle that is going on with the moto G (99$ verizon only version) and verizon you would know what I mean. How in the world could the FCC allow things to get this out of hand. Phones that only work on certain carriers, phones that only work on certain parts of the network of certain carriers etc, etc, etc. Its like a bad b movie. And we are being made to watch it.

I'm not sure what you mean by "debacle" with the Moto G, but this doesn't apply. The Moto G does not have LTE, therefore no GSM, therefore no SIM card, therefore it is not unlocked. Only Verizon's LTE devices are unlocked. The Moto G wouldn't work in most of the world even if it was unlocked because it's CDMA. I have no clue whether an unlocked CDMA device is even feasible.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Does the 928 work on AT&T? I thought it did after some workarounds. If the 928 works, then the 929 should.
I got an 822 working on Straight Talk with one of their ATT SIM cards for my step-daughter. Took some tweaking but it works fine. Not sure if LTE or not, but everything else is good.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
...The Moto G does not have LTE, therefore no GSM...
Not having LTE does not mean not having GSM radios. I've had several Verizon phones that had GSM radios but no LTE. HTC Trophy, HTC Touch Pro II, and a Blackberry (don't remember model), and possibly more. Verizon has been selling "World" phones for years, and they all have SIM cards (mine all said Vodaphone on them).

The rest of your statement looks correct, but I just wanted to clear that up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786