What do you all think (Trade 920 for 1020)

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi Fellow enthusiasts,

I have the opportunity to trade my gently used 920 for a 1020. The 920 has been such a nice device, which I think has the best of all the lumia devices and it has been hard to part with it compared to the newer devices. The 1020 has been the only device that has me questioning. Now the 1020 was not enough of an upgrade to pay full price or get into another contract for me when compared to the 920. Trading in and up is different

I have an opportunity to trade with another person for the 1020 with my 920 + cash. Going forward with the 1020, I have two charging plates that I would not be using, but I will keep one for my nexus7, which is on the chopping block too, lol. Anywho... What should the value of my 920 be and the cash offer that is fair and realistic. I thought the 920 and $200, but would love to pay less :)

Is the 1020 even worth it or should I just wait? I am patiently waiting for a realy windows 8.1 phone release, but the 1020 is very intriguing. Help me out :)

Nokia Boy

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
all windows phone 8 devices will receive WP8.1 update,MS confirmed that.I think it worth to trade it for the 1020.It's a bit lighter,got more ram and the 41MP Camera sensor take amazing photos. :)

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I understand all devices will get the upgrade. I mean, I am waiting for the windows 8.1 flagship device with potential rumored hard changes like the back button/search and other potential goodies. I would love to get on the camera functions of the 1020 as I am pleased with the 920.

What do you think the amount of cash offered should be?

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
no one knows what the next flagship will be , when it will hit , how good it will be (well someone in nokia does I suppose ey lol) ideally id like too see a 1020 type device with

# improved slightly bigger 41mp sensor that beats the 1020 and 808
# xenon flash with different settings like slow sync and red eye reduction
# bigger battery as the 1020 battery does take a good wack from a decent pic shoot
# cpu/gpu and micro sd slot from the 1520
# 32gb minimum mass memory + micro sd slot
# mhl tv out and usb2go and game pad support via the usb port
# wireless charging built in

I don't know much about lytro sensors so cant give my opinion on them , they sound great for refocusing after a shot has been taken but I don't know much about the quality of them or wether they would match the 808/1020 quality

also remember that nokia do sometimes like to not put all their tech in one device , I am praying they don't start skimping on big sensors and xenon flash , if they make another camera centric device it must have the xenon flash (please nokia)

about the 920+ cash swap for a 1020 I would do it in an instant to be honest , here in England the 1020 costs approx. ?500 for the 32gb version and ?600 for the 64gb version ........ the 920 can be had for under ?300 so depending on the price over there and the condition of each handset here in England someone could ask for ?150/?200 + a 920 for a 1020

I would happily give someone a 920 and ?100/?150 for a 1020 ;-) but if you don't take many pictures and don't use xenon flash then it might not be worth it , but for me id do it in an instant as xenon flash adds so much more to a camera device , the way it can freeze time is invaluable in certain situations for me ;-) you might be different though mate ;-)

infestedd

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
Do it. I was in almost the same position as you, slightly better in fact.
I had an 928, and had an chance to exchange it for an 1020 + something around 200 usd (it was an fair price here). Was the best thing i did in a long time. My 928 was an rare case of no problem at all (except the anoying glue under the "windows" button).
Why change? My experience:
The camera is simple unbeatable. Except if you have an DSLR, forget about bringing the camera in your trips. In fact, i have an dslr (d300) and in my last week trip, i used the 1020, and i would say, it was easier to carry, and the quality for auto settings worth it. I would think twice bringing an huge camera, except if you are an professional photographer, that have lots of time to take every picture.
Xenon flash is an HUGE improve over led, you dont need to be an photographer to be in a place and take an picture with your friends at night, thats when a good flash makes the difference

2gb ram, makes an lot of difference. 928 was smooth, but 1020 is smoothier... to be honest, the phone runs fasters, and look a lot better. Battery drain seens to be better on 1020 too, but this i cant confirm... can be from phone to phone, since they have the same battery. on 928 it lasted for an entire day, with moderate use, on 1020, it lasts about 1 and an half day, with the same use.

Oh and the loudspeakers: 928 have better speakers than 920, and i have to say: i NEVER saw so good sound quality on a phone like 1020, its just amazing
I can say, it was an HUGE jump, when it comes to photography, and an great jump in overal, do it, you will not regret!

jbjtkbw007

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I upgraded and added the wireless charging backplate and it's STILL less heft than the 920, so don't go giving up your charging plates just yet. I have a charging pillow, a charging plate, and I recently purchased the JBL Powerup to use with the 1020.

anon(5326758)

May 5, 2011
Visit site
I did the move from 920 -> 1020 for nearly the same amount as you are considering. I love the lighter and smaller feel of the phone compared to the 920 (though with the charging backplate on it is slightly bigger and heavier than before). Pictures are obviously better, though not as quick to snap. Screen is much brighter than the 920. Battery life has been about the same but it took a week to balance out. Phone calls sound the same as before.

The only negative I find coming from the 920 is that the hump on the back makes it wobble when playing on a hard flat surface.

The risk you take is that a new flagship gets released in April with the same camera and better specs. I think the 1020 is awesome but a faster processor may help with camera shots. So... if it is worth $200 to take much better pictures and have a lighter, brighter phone, go for it. I'm glad I did.

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Lots of sound advice from all of you. Shoot, the 1020 is so cool, I would still keep it of a flagship is released. I only plan on buying a flagship in like the 3rd/4th qtr if I were to get the 1020.

Hopefully this Craigslist sell ans out :)

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Its a good deal. Take it.

:)

I think $200 is good, if not, more. I mean, look at the Nokia 808, it's still worth around $350!

Ya.. they fluctuate b/w 350 and 400 for the most part. There is also a limited amount of units left, so that might drive up the price a bit.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
There are a couple things to consider. I also made the switch like you want to, and I think you have to consider a few things.

For me mainly is usability. On the 1020, you will lose wireless charging, which was kind of a big deal for me, since I charge my phone next to my bed when I sleep. I always have to hunt for the cable on the floor before I sleep, and if I'm reading something in bed with the lights off, I have to fumble around in the dark to find the darn cable. And of course, with usb's you have to put it in the right way(always get it wrong the first time :p) Anyway, you miss it once you don't have it haha. Also, screen technology OLED vs LCD. I prefer the color accuracy and refresh of the 920 over the amoled in the 1020. Everything looks very vibrant and when you scroll you get a bit of text ghosting. Also, holding it, while it is lighter, is a bit combersome due to the hump on the back.

So these are very small nitpicks and of course you have the better camera and light weight which are nice (if you go for the wireless charging cover you add the weight back) but in hindsight, I don't think it was enough of an upgrade to warrant spending any money on. I take a lot of pictures indoors and in lowlight and the 1020 does not take better pictures than the 920 in these situations. I think the next flagship in a few months will be a much more comprehensive refresh, and I plan on upgrading to that when it comes out.

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
^^ I gotta say the 1020 takes much better pics then my old 920 in all conditions due to the oversampling (especially in black) and if I want I can zoom , there is also xenon flash vs led flash which for moving objects is no contest at all , then we have the sensor which is what 4/6x bigger then the 920s ........... I am sure if you zoom in you will see a difference in quality/noise/pureness of the photo?? the 920/925 do take very good shots without flash and handheld at night for static objects like buildings with a little light nearby though I must say but in all other conditions there really is no contest its been covered a lot by aawp and steve Litchfield and his photo shootouts ;-)

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Lots of sound advice from all of you. Shoot, the 1020 is so cool, I would still keep it of a flagship is released. I only plan on buying a flagship in like the 3rd/4th qtr if I were to get the 1020.

Hopefully this Craigslist sell ans out :)

I wouldn't go there. If I were you, I'd wait until we begin to see what drops with Windows 8.1 on it. I wrestled with the same question and when it gets down to it, I could not find a compelling enough reason to auction block my 920. I will at some point I know but I expect there will be something in the processor or hardware or something that pairs with 8.1 better on those new devices than what 8.1 will be able to do on existing handsets that are promised a version of the 8.1 upgrade. We are in 2014 now so its a matter of a few months before Sony, Samsung, Microsoft drop new 8.1 handsets. It'll be worth it.

Now about that Nexus 7. Whats up with that?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss