what is the L520 display like ?

stalemate1

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I keep seeing reviews mention how bad the display is with colours and brightness, but is it ok for direct sun light and how bad are the "washed out" colours exactly, does red still look like read or dose it look like pink/purple or an almost indefinable light tint of red ?

KrisJoeEll

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
I keep seeing reviews mention how bad the display is with colours and brightness, but is it ok for direct sun light and how bad are the "washed out" colours exactly, does red still look like read or dose it look like pink/purple or an almost indefinable light tint of red ?

Compared to others its screen is unimpressive. But keep in mind that its still a budget/entry level phone.
Here is a video comparison of Lumias. You can clearly see the screen differences here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlS3mXvNnis

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
For the price of the phone the screen is decent. I had no issues using the phone watching videos on it, etc. Sure it's not as good as the screen on my 1020, but that one was 10x more expensive. The only bit annoying thing about the screen on the 520 is that it attaches fingerprints a lot more and I need to wipe it with a cloth lot more often, compared to nearly never on my 1020.

stalemate1

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Compared to others its screen is unimpressive. But keep in mind that its still a budget/entry level phone.
Here is a video comparison of Lumias. You can clearly see the screen differences here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlS3mXvNnis

Thanks for the video but i would prefer to know how it stands against the displays that I'm familiar and comfortable with and not the high quality displays of today.

If you were to compare it to a flagship SLCD screen from 2 years ago such as an HTC EVO 3D or sensation, or a galaxy s2...is it more or less on that level ? If so then its more than adequate for me.

shmsnh

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
I think the display on my 520 is good enough. I do not expect a fantastic display like the 1520, or even 920. The colors are good, and the brightness is more that adequate for me. I have faced a bit of difficulty reading under direct sunlight (even with sunlight legibility on). 520 also gets the Lumia colour profile setting, which is pretty good. The only real problem with the IPS LCD screen on Lumia 520 is that it can't support the low energy levels required for Glance screen.

KrisJoeEll

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the video but i would prefer to know how it stands against the displays that I'm familiar and comfortable with and not the high quality displays of today.

If you were to compare it to a flagship SLCD screen from 2 years ago such as an HTC EVO 3D or sensation, or a galaxy s2...is it more or less on that level ? If so then its more than adequate for me.

Whats your budget?

Cryio

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
Many reviewers tend to compare everything with top products and not products within the same price range.

I bought my gf a L520 for Christmas. Me, being the owner of an 820, I took the liberty to compare displays. Sure, the black levels are nowhere near as deep, the screen is not great from wide angles (but who cares about this >_> ) and the brightness set to Medium makes it quite easy to use in bright daylight. The colors are good, there is no dimness to them or washing off or distortion.

Basically it's ok! If you buy a 520, you won't have to worry about the display. Set it on High or Automatically and it will be bright enough.

Last edited:

KrisJoeEll

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
as cheap as possible for a windows 8 phone. I don't want all the fancy stuff. Just a decent, quick, responsive and reliable device.

If you are looking for a cheap & fast WP8 device go for Lumia 525 (almost as cheap as 520 with 1GB ram for more speed)
If you are looking for a cheap yet better screen go for Lumia 625.

jimkraz

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
My wife has the L520 and she has never complained about colours, I have a L820 the colours are better but it was nearly three times the price, it's a good phone, replaceable battery, MicroSD slot, for low budget, it is hard to beat, and you can work screen with gloves on too.

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site

If you are that concerned about the screen just go to a shop that displays them and take a look hands on. Bring your old phone and you can compare.

lance5087

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
I see nothing wrong with the colors on the screen. I had a 920, I'm sure it was better but I wasn't disappointed. But the lens seems to be made of some cheaper plastic so it feels odd and needs cleaning a lot. I just got this phone till my upgrade comes and I am very satisfied. I hate apple and got tired of android. Windows is so much better.

stalemate1

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
If you are that concerned about the screen just go to a shop that displays them and take a look hands on. Bring your old phone and you can compare.

I already have and every shop I went to had the device but as usual none of the 520s on display had any battery left ( no one ever bothers to charge them so ill bring my power bank external charger and go buy there-just wish I brought it before wasting my time)

Thanks for all the replies guys.

stalemate1

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I see nothing wrong with the colors on the screen. I had a 920, I'm sure it was better but I wasn't disappointed. But the lens seems to be made of some cheaper plastic so it feels odd and needs cleaning a lot. I just got this phone till my upgrade comes and I am very satisfied. I hate apple and got tired of android. Windows is so much better.

The feel of the glass on the display does not bother me as in any case, I will get a smooth, slippery screen protector anyway.

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I already have and every shop I went to had the device but as usual none of the 520s on display had any battery left ( no one ever bothers to charge them so ill bring my power bank external charger and go buy there-just wish I brought it before wasting my time)

Thanks for all the replies guys.

You should have just asked the sales person to plug it in for you so you can test it out, I doubt any store would refuse to do that.

stalemate1

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
You should have just asked the sales person to plug it in for you so you can test it out, I doubt any store would refuse to do that.

I'd probably get the excuse: "sorry my man, the guy who charges the phones is not here today and the charger is locked away, he is the only one with the key"

Look I'm fine using my power bank, I just need to know if the 520 uses a mini USB connector ?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'd probably get the excuse: "sorry my man, the guy who charges the phones is not here today and the charger is locked away, he is the only one with the key"

Look I'm fine using my power bank, I just need to know if the 520 uses a mini USB connector ?

It uses a standard microUSB connector

trivor

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
I currently own as my main phone an LG G2 and it has one of the best smartphone displays currently available - an IPS LCD panel with 1080P at 5.2". I found the Lumia 520 display to be quite nice (especially since it has decent pixel density on a 3.7" screen @ 480x800). I think it is more than adequate especially as a budget phone (they may still have them on sale at Microsoftstore.com for $60).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)