File location - HELP

rajpopp

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
Dear friends,

One of my friend transferred a executable file around 4MB (.exe file) from his android phone to my lumia 720 via bluetooth. The file transfer was successful but now I am unable to locate this file in my phone. I have also searched the phone by connecting it to a computer, but still could not locate. I have also tried with file explorer apps available for windows phone, but no success. I know that the .exe file is still there. So how do I locate this file. I am using only phone memory (no micro SD card installed). Please help me to locate the file. Thanks in advance.

KrisJoeEll

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Dear friends,

One of my friend transferred a executable file around 4MB (.exe file) from his android phone to my lumia 720 via bluetooth. The file transfer was successful but now I am unable to locate this file in my phone. I have also searched the phone by connecting it to a computer, but still could not locate. I have also tried with file explorer apps available for windows phone, but no success. I know that the .exe file is still there. So how do I locate this file. I am using only phone memory (no micro SD card installed). Please help me to locate the file. Thanks in advance.

You should have been able to get the file (using the file explorer) after connecting to a PC.
Did you have internet connection at that moment? If yes check your skydrive.

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Windows Phone app will not transfer such a file. Windows file explorer?

Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Tapatalk

mpt15

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
You should be able to see it in file explorer after you connect to pc, as mentioned by KrisJoe. Although, since its a .exe file, which is not a supported file type, i think the phone would get rid of it when clearing out temporary files.

This is a phone, not a flash drive. You can't store unsupported file types.

rajpopp

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
I know its a unsupported file type. But phone said that the transfer was successful and it requires any file explorer app to search. I searched the store for such an app and installed couple of apps which could not search the .exe file. I didn't want to use my phone as flash drive, I tried this only for curiosity as somebody mentioned that these kind of files cannot be stored on windows phone unlike in androids. Now, I just want to see this file and delete it. Further, my requirement was not to store the file in my phone, but I just want to know whether is it possible to download any file format through phone data connection and transfer to the pc for later use.
You should be able to see it in file explorer after you connect to pc, as mentioned by KrisJoe. Although, since its a .exe file, which is not a supported file type, i think the phone would get rid of it when clearing out temporary files.

This is a phone, not a flash drive. You can't store unsupported file types.

mpt15

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
try clearing temporary files from settings > storage check. That should be good enough. The system won't store unsupported file types forever. It should clear it out on its own. Not to worry.

rajpopp

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
I have already done that. So according to you the .exe file should have got cleared. But the other person (KrisJoeEll) has mentioned about the skydrive, so I just want to know if I setup a skydrive does the unsupported files get automatically moved to it?
try clearing temporary files from settings > storage check. That should be good enough. The system won't store unsupported file types forever. It should clear it out on its own. Not to worry.

mpt15

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
it can't move stuff to SkyDrive unless you do it yourself.

If you had already setup SkyDrive, im not sure what would happen. I dont see why it would get saved there unless you choose so.
its only 4mb, so why are you so worried about space?

rajpopp

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
I am not worried about the space at all. I just want to download some stuff through phone data connection (in an emergency) and use it in pc. This is possible in android wherein the downloaded files just goes to the download folder irrespective of the file format. I am just expecting the same in my windows phone.
it can't move stuff to SkyDrive unless you do it yourself.

If you had already setup SkyDrive, im not sure what would happen. I dont see why it would get saved there unless you choose so.
its only 4mb, so why are you so worried about space?

Gaurav Paul

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
You cant expect the same on a Windows Phone. Its a more secured environment and hence some restrictions. This isn't a major setback though.

mpt15

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
I am not worried about the space at all. I just want to download some stuff through phone data connection (in an emergency) and use it in pc. This is possible in android wherein the downloaded files just goes to the download folder irrespective of the file format. I am just expecting the same in my windows phone.

if you ultimately want to use the file on your pc, why do you want to download it on your phone? I dont understand the emergency situation, because you won't be able to run/open the file on your phone; and its not your intention to use it on the phone anyway.

rajpopp

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
This is file manger for WP8. Its limited but install and give it a try.
Pocket File Manager | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)
If you still cant see the file, its possible dat the OS might have deleted it. (considering it as a temp file like mpt15 said)
The app couldn't locate the .exe file. But when I checked the temp files in storage check there was slight increase in its storage capacity which was approximately equal to the file size that was transferred. Just to cross check I cleared the temp files and again transferred the file and the result was same. So the conclusion is the unsupported files are automatically moved to temp folder in windows phone. But now is there any way to access this temp folder which is seen in storage check?

Last edited:

mpt15

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
The app couldn't locate the .exe file. But when I checked the temp files in storage check there was slight increase in its storage capacity which was approximately equal to the file size that was transferred. Just to cross check I cleared the temp files and again transferred the file and the result was same. So the conclusion is the unsupported files are automatically moved to temp folder in windows phone. But now is there any way to access this temp folder which is seen in storage check?

yes, unsupported files are moved to the temp folder. You can't access the temp folder. Regarding your earlier post, I dont understand why you would have to download a file on your phone in an emergency, but which you intend to use on your computer. It can't be much of an emergency in that case. You could just download it on your computer.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99