Get it now or wait?

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Never said it will be true, but i have a good feeling the 805 will come to the first batch of WP8.1 devices.

Snapdragon 805 hands-on at CES, the processor in your next smartphone | Windows Phone Central

Might've been sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What I posted was just conjecture. I have no inside knowledge. It's just no reliable sources are actually leaking anything on a 1520 follow up. When I trace all the 1820 leaks back to their original sources it is either an "unnamed leaker" or the ridiculous @NextLeaks. Is it normal 30 days before an announcement of this magnitude that not a single reliable leaker has ANY information on these devices?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Never said it will be true, but i have a good feeling the 805 will come to the first batch of WP8.1 devices.

If true, that will be AFTER Build 2014 in June, not after MWC next month. Really want to wait that long? Again, what about a 1520 import and changing to a cheap pre-paid contract to offset some of the price? Probably what I would do in your position, if I wanted a phablet.

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
If true, that will be AFTER Build 2014 in June, not after MWC next month.

Just to clarify Microsoft Build will be in April this year instead of June like last year.

Microsoft sold out its April Build developers conference yesterday, running through the $2,095 tickets in about 31 hours.

Microsoft's Build 2014 dev conference sells out - Computerworld

Given the attractive prices on 1520s right now though I would rather take the bird in hand versus waiting months to see if unsubstantiated leaks from unreliable sources are even vaguely true.

Blu3V3nom07

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
I have a countdown on my phone that's waiting for Mobile World Congress, and one for MS BUILD Conference. It says 30 Days, and then 67, and that feels okay. :)

Last edited:

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Wow, many of you guys, some who haven't posted in this thread, took the poll. Much appreciated! It is very close, but the "Get it now" vote has slightly more than "to wait".

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Hey guys, if you don't know me by now, it's me, unstoppablekem. I currently own a Lumia 920 on AT&T, and love it so far. But I really like the 1520. The reason why I didn't get it at launch was because of only 16GB (I know it has microSD) and no Qi built in or accessory, only PMA accessory. That got me real mad because I bought a bunch of Qi accessories from AT&T, probably $400 total, and I really don't want to buy new accessories just because they choose to make a change that affects us "dozens" of WP users. Then they announced a 32GB version, so I was going to wait for that. Now that it came out, I'm disappointed it is only in one color.

But now with the new online deal, I'm really tempted to get a 1520. But since it's been out for a few months already, it is going to be "outdated" real soon in MWC and //build with the new S805 chips, and WP8.1 loaded into it already.

So what should I do? Get it now, or wait a little longer and see the Windows Phone devices that are announced at MWC and //build? Take the poll and comment below. Thanks!

I say get it now...

You have 4 more months till devices are announced then at least another month before those hit the shelves so you are looking at 5 months before you have a shot at a new device. The new devices announced most likely wont be 6 inch screen devices. I would bet 5.5 or smaller maybe one high end device that's it. The technology wont change that much. The 1520 will be one of the early devices to get 8.1 that shouldn't be an issue. As this years MWC releases will likely be the last from Nokia solo before we start getting Microsoft branded devices I will skip that group of devices and wait for the first round of Micro-Kias dew out around Christmas time 2014. Unless your willing to wait 9 months I would say get the 1520 now or you will be getting a Nokia in May with Micro-Kias coming out in October-December. Me I will stick with my Nokia 1520 till the Micro-Kias launch end of year 2014

iBandar

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Why wait? L1520 has some serious hardware. New phones will have different design but the internal hardware leap won't be that significant. What I am trying to say is, if Lumia 1520 won't be upgradable to WP8.X or WP9 then the chances are the phone coming in next few months won't be either. Simple as that. So unless you have a problem with the big size phone, L1520 is THE phone to get.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I say get it now...

You have 4 more months till devices are announced then at least another month before those hit the shelves so you are looking at 5 months before you have a shot at a new device. The new devices announced most likely wont be 6 inch screen devices. I would bet 5.5 or smaller maybe one high end device that's it. The technology wont change that much. The 1520 will be one of the early devices to get 8.1 that shouldn't be an issue. As this years MWC releases will likely be the last from Nokia solo before we start getting Microsoft branded devices I will skip that group of devices and wait for the first round of Micro-Kias dew out around Christmas time 2014. Unless your willing to wait 9 months I would say get the 1520 now or you will be getting a Nokia in May with Micro-Kias coming out in October-December. Me I will stick with my Nokia 1520 till the Micro-Kias launch end of year 2014

It isn't that I care much about Microsoft putting their name on the phone, it's that I just usually buy a phone when it first comes out. The 1520 has been out for a few months already, and that tells my tech-savvy brain that it is already "old".

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Why wait? L1520 has some serious hardware. New phones will have different design but the internal hardware leap won't be that significant. What I am trying to say is, if Lumia 1520 won't be upgradable to WP8.X or WP9 then the chances are the phone coming in next few months won't be either. Simple as that. So unless you have a problem with the big size phone, L1520 is THE phone to get.

Yeah, I used a black one in an AT&T store, and while it was nice, it was hard getting used to the size, but it was really nice. Not sure if a 5 inch or 5.2 inch phone would feel much bigger than my 920, but I would like it. Maybe it's just a fear thinking I won't get used to the 6 inch phone?

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Why wait?

Because people are deluding themselves that the fantasies that @NextLeaks posts on twitter are actually true. People on this forum actually thought a Qualcomm S805, 3GB, Lytro phablet was going to be announced at MWC. Ignoring for the moment no legitimate sources have mentioned anything like that it is totally without precedent that such an event would occur so soon after the launch of a phone like the 1520.

Watch, there are going to be tons of threads after MWC crying "is that all?". Nokia will probably announce a handset or two that will just be variations on currently available themes. Maybe a device with all the fire power of the 1520 in a 5 inch chassis. Maybe a quadcore with a Lumia 1020 camera. That type of thing. And of course some kind of low end phone... or may be some midrange love in the 700 or 800 marketspace. That's about as much as I expect to happen.

iBandar

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I used a black one in an AT&T store, and while it was nice, it was hard getting used to the size, but it was really nice. Not sure if a 5 inch or 5.2 inch phone would feel much bigger than my 920, but I would like it. Maybe it's just a fear thinking I won't get used to the 6 inch phone?

See that's the thing, if size is a problem for you then its fine to wait. Because in coming few months, there is definitely going to be a phone with similar internal as L1520 but smaller in size. But I don't support if you just want to wait for better CPU/RAM. I personally love bigger screen, I watch lot of movies and TV shows. And I think with more tile upgradable option with next WP update, big screens will have advantage over smaller screen.

You really can't judge the screen size by holding it few times, I would say try using a big phone for some more time, may be some one in your family or friend circle have bigger size phone and then decide? if you still can't get used to the size then wait.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Because people are deluding themselves that the fantasies that @NextLeaks posts on twitter are actually true. People on this forum actually thought a Qualcomm S805, 3GB, Lytro phablet was going to be announced at MWC. Ignoring for the moment no legitimate sources have mentioned anything like that it is totally without precedent that such an event would occur so soon after the launch of a phone like the 1520.

Watch, there are going to be tons of threads after MWC crying "is that all?". Nokia will probably announce a handset or two that will just be variations on currently available themes. Maybe a device with all the fire power of the 1520 in a 5 inch chassis. Maybe a quadcore with a Lumia 1020 camera. That type of thing. And of course some kind of low end phone... or may be some midrange love in the 700 or 800 marketspace. That's about as much as I expect to happen.

I never said the Lytro was true, but I do have a feeling they will announce good stuff there at MWC.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)