Nokia 1520 for ?400 - what's the catch?

Twyll

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

Two sellers on Amazon uk are selling the Nokia 1520 for ?399: wowcamera and gooddealforyou.

Is there a catch? This seems like a very good deal and non of these sellers have bad feedback.

emigrating

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Most likely Hong Kong imports. Exact same phone as you'll get in the UK though. Bought mine on eBay as it was the only way to get a red one without being locked to o2.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,

Two sellers on Amazon uk are selling the Nokia 1520 for ?399: wowcamera and gooddealforyou.

Is there a catch? This seems like a very good deal and non of these sellers have bad feedback.

the catch is its $640 (wth?) for a phone you can't even try out, or return to the sellers hands if you don't love it. I'd skip it. Craigslist ftw.

Phil Hendy1

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
Its probably a genuine 1520, you need to read the small type, I got mine off an ebay seller based in USA and he was very upfront that import charges may apply, sure enough they did and I had a ?81 charge to pay to DHL before it was released from them. So just factor that in, I love this phone, no weaknesses and more strong apps appearing daily with WP 8.1 due in April which will bring some big changes (notification centre for one) that will put WP on parity with ios and android - awesome. This phone is a keeper 😊

Twyll

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
Wowcameras is sending from China. Gooddealforyou is shipping from the UK. They both have lots of impressively short customer feedback (!)

Jcowley

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
I bought a yellow model from Gooddeal4u. It's a HK model but I have had no issues with it. Also if you buy it through amazon you are covered by their A to Z guarantee which means if the seller doesn't respond etc then they will still refund you.

Nisse Tuta

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
I personally wouldn't buy one, looks dodgy and they could be stolen or fake.

Why, I mean they are more expensive then straight from HK. Wouldnt they be cheaper if they where stolen?
The seller has 1600 ratings with a 4.8 avarage, that doesnt sound verry dodgy to me.

A fellow swede posted on a forum two days ago that he bought one from there. I can report back when he gets it.

Jcowley

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
How is that cheap? Its 580USD on Ebay. No catch, it seems to be the actual price.

It's cheap because we pay 20% sales tax here and Nokia will have to pay import duty on the value of the phone (probably another 10% or so). The normal price for the RM-937 sim free (unlocked) is ~?550 or $910 so I'm sure you can understand that ?400 is a pretty hefty discount.

I personally wouldn't buy one, looks dodgy and they could be stolen or fake.

Like I said in my post, I'm holding one in my hand right now. Seems pretty real to me. They are cheap because they are imported, they possibly avoid paying import duty etc

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Ive bought from both companies via amazon. No problem and if you don't like it amazon are great for refunds. Im tempted myself at that price. (I have one in my wishlist just incase)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Evan_ISS

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I bought a yellow model from Gooddeal4u. It's a HK model but I have had no issues with it. Also if you buy it through amazon you are covered by their A to Z guarantee which means if the seller doesn't respond etc then they will still refund you.

I am thinking of buying one of these but I am not clear on what the warranty from Nokia is?

If it develops a defect do you just send it over to Nokia UK even though it is a HK variant?

Jcowley

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
I am thinking of buying one of these but I am not clear on what the warranty from Nokia is?

If it develops a defect do you just send it over to Nokia UK even though it is a HK variant?

Nope, if you buy a HK variant you get 0 warranty cover from Nokia UK, you have to send it back to HK. If you buy the phone in Europe (i.e. a European model), you are covered however.

One thing you can do is buy a HK model then with the money you save take out insurance with a company like protect my bubble etc. You can even pay for insurance after it's broken and two weeks later say you dropped it (this is obviously against their terms and conditions though)

Evan_ISS

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Nope, if you buy a HK variant you get 0 warranty cover from Nokia UK, you have to send it back to HK.

Hmmm, had a closer look and this might be a case of misselling as in the product details it is clearly stated that this should be the A00015322 (NOKIA 1520.1 RM-937 CV GB BLACK) and not the HK variant.

Oh well, too good to be true and all that...

Brian McMahon

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
I purchased one from Top T on Amazon, very good service ordered on the 1st and arrived today via Royal Mail special delivery. ?411 for a HK import considering the quality of the phone is ok by me. I did email them before i placed the order and asked where they sourced but the girl who replied stated it would either be an Asia or European version. It does state on Amazon that it would be a gb version but i'll take my chances.

I'm not complaining though especially at the price for it. No import duty as it was dispatched from uk. The girl did mention in her email that they use a dedicated Nokia service centre and if there are any warranty issues with the phone they pay for postage to it. I don't have a problem with it was looking at one on Gumtree but it's worse than ebay for scammers. Absolutely stunning phone and managed to keep my 1020 to replace my iPhone 5 for work so well pleased.

Last edited:

marky9074

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
I ordered from Simply Electronics for ?485 at the start of the year. Slightly annoyed that after the wait for a HK import the prices have gone done to ~?400 (even on their own web site). No issues, though would be intrigued if there is anywhere in the UK that would touch them for repair (rather than send back to HK).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte