italian 920 in the USA..which carrier shoud I use?

teduzzo5

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Hi everybody! First of all please excuse my bad English.
I'm Italian and I'm going to move to Boston (MA). I have a nokia lumia 920 (it's unlock because I have bought just the phone without any sim card and other things and it works with any carriers in Europe).
I was wondering if I can use it with Lycamobile. Why Lycamobile? Because I need the cheapest plan in the US so I saw the $16 plan. I do NOT need internet because where I will live I have free wifi access.
Do you think it will work? And are there other cheapest plan/carrier that I can use with my device? I was told I cannot use Verizon..

Thanks in advance!

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
We have two GSM providers in the U.S. AT&T and T-Mobile. Both AT&T and T-Mobile have numerous MVNO's. Lycamobile uses the T-Mobile network. Here's a list of all the MVNO's in the U.S. and which carrier they use: List of United States mobile virtual network operators - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In the U.S. AT&T has better coverage than T-Mobile. Also if you wanted to add internet/data in the future, the frequencies on your phone would be better off with AT&T.

I would recommend you go with either a SIM card from AT&T or a MVNO of AT&T.

teduzzo5

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Thanks For Your answers. I'm looking for a prepaid sim card. Initially I was attracted by the at and t pay as you go but then I found out I must pay to receive call (it looks unbelievable for me!!!). So..do you recommend me at and t? Which at and t MNVO is cheaper? Because there are so many MNVOs!! As I said I don't need data/internet. I just need a fex minute (perhaps 100) and some texts.

Thanks

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Thanks For Your answers. I'm looking for a prepaid sim card. Initially I was attracted by the at and t pay as you go but then I found out I must pay to receive call (it looks unbelievable for me!!!). So..do you recommend me at and t? Which at and t MNVO is cheaper? Because there are so many MNVOs!! As I said I don't need data/internet. I just need a fex minute (perhaps 100) and some texts.

Thanks

Maybe something like this: Red Pocket $19.99 30 Day Refill - Unlimited Plan Refills
or maybe one of these: https://www.h2owirelessnow.com/pageControl.php?page=planMin

You could certainly try Lycamobile and if it works well for you, then keep it. If it doesn't work well for you, just switch after 30 days.

teduzzo5

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your answer. Yes, I think that I should try Lycamobile and if it doesn't work switch keeping my number (Is it possible in the US?)
I have just a few questions about the $10 plan in h20 you link me (https://www.h2owirelessnow.com/pageC...p?page=planMin).
If I buy it I will pay $10 to get 100 minutes. But if I text someone..do I need to buy extra money or they just charge a text as a one minute call? I mean..could I use my $10 as I want or I can only do call?
Another thing, in Italy I use Whatsapp messenger to text and I think (I use more or less 3mb each month so I will pay more or less 30cent). Can I use it?

Thanks in advance

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for your answer. Yes, I think that I should try Lycamobile and if it doesn't work switch keeping my number (Is it possible in the US?)
I have just a few questions about the $10 plan in h20 you link me (https://www.h2owirelessnow.com/pageC...p?page=planMin).
If I buy it I will pay $10 to get 100 minutes. But if I text someone..do I need to buy extra money or they just charge a text as a one minute call? I mean..could I use my $10 as I want or I can only do call?
Another thing, in Italy I use Whatsapp messenger to text and I think (I use more or less 3mb each month so I will pay more or less 30cent). Can I use it?

Thanks in advance

You can ask about transferring your U.S. number, most of the time you can. I am not sure if it's more restrictive on Pay As You Go.

I've never used H2Owireless Pay As You Go. I see their SIM cards and recharge cards in BestBuy stores, which is a popular electronic store in the states. I see they have a live chat on their website and that would be the best place to get specific answers.

How long are you planning on being in the states?

Good luck to you!

teduzzo5

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your answer, I'll ask them! I'm planning to stay in the US for two years because I'm doing a double degree which lasts two years :)

ajj3085

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site

Paying to receive calls is the norm in the USA. The logic is that you're using wireless bandwidth whether you initiated the call or not.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99