Could the Icon have a crippling issue that is delaying its release?

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
"After all who is really going to buy a phone that is going to be superseded in a month? They may be tinkering it so that it will work better with 8.1 and not be outdated too fast."

That's an interesting thought. If the ICON comes out with AMBER, it's going to be perceived as last years phone. If it comes out with BLACK, it's perceived more of a 2014 phone.

jgraves1107

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
All I am saying is there are way too little features in the icon to even think of it as an update to the 928. Lack of any real productive apps with hardware from a year ago and your not getting much for your money. Microsoft needs to be knocked up side the head for not pushing these devices on the carriers. Apple does it, Samsung does it, why not Microsoft.

Kieta

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
All I am saying is there are way too little features in the icon to even think of it as an update to the 928. Lack of any real productive apps with hardware from a year ago and your not getting much for your money. Microsoft needs to be knocked up side the head for not pushing these devices on the carriers. Apple does it, Samsung does it, why not Microsoft.

I'll answer that with one of your own quotes.

Usefulness of a device is user dependent, not tech based.

sph0308

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site

Maybe because Microsoft doesn't own the Nokia handset business yet !

jgraves1107

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
They own the WP OS though. They can push that. They seem just not to care if Verizon pushes the WP platform. Microsoft is doing the same thing they did years ago. Introduce tech they only want because they want the windows OS to sell more for home and business pc's. By now they should have fixed the ability to add a new song to my playlist without me having to delete it and add all the songs back. Its like they have a retard running things for WP. Oh wait a retard would have actually done a better job! Skype still fails to see someone is trying to reach me. Yet it works perfect on IOS and android. They are so caught up in a gimmicky look they fail to see what consumers want in WP. I'm sure if I jump Nokia again I can get black without Verizon. What would be the point though. Storyboard is fubar right now. I can't even get my bank to make an app for WP because it lacks user base. What good is a sports car with the most powerful engine in the world if you leave off the gas pedal, the steering wheel, and gas tank?

TheJoester09

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
They own the WP OS though. They can push that. They seem just not to care if Verizon pushes the WP platform. Microsoft is doing the same thing they did years ago. Introduce tech they only want because they want the windows OS to sell more for home and business pc's. By now they should have fixed the ability to add a new song to my playlist without me having to delete it and add all the songs back. Its like they have a retard running things for WP. Oh wait a retard would have actually done a better job! Skype still fails to see someone is trying to reach me. Yet it works perfect on IOS and android. They are so caught up in a gimmicky look they fail to see what consumers want in WP. I'm sure if I jump Nokia again I can get black without Verizon. What would be the point though. Storyboard is fubar right now. I can't even get my bank to make an app for WP because it lacks user base. What good is a sports car with the most powerful engine in the world if you leave off the gas pedal, the steering wheel, and gas tank?

Something as trivial as a phone/OS should not cause such anger and grief. You hate WP's apps (or lack thereof), you hate MS's services, you hate MS's support, you think the UI is "gimmicky," and you're unimpressed with the new WP hardware. There's a simple solution to this problem: GET A NEW PHONE.

I don't understand all these people saying "well iPhone and Android has _______ and can do _______!" THEN GO GET AN IPHONE OR ANDRIOD.

Seriously, this isn't difficult.

Kieta

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site

All phones and every OS has bugs. They don't work perfect. Have you used iTunes lately? I can't tell you have frustrating it is when my daughter ask me to sync a song to her playlist or iphone. The amount of quality apps pushed out in the last half of 2013 shows support for the WP platform and I really do enjoy my phone. My bank doesn't make an app either but they have a well designed mobile website that works just as good.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
All phones and every OS has bugs. They don't work perfect. Have you used iTunes lately? I can't tell you have frustrating it is when my daughter ask me to sync a song to her playlist or iphone. The amount of quality apps pushed out in the last half of 2013 shows support for the WP platform and I really do enjoy my phone. My bank doesn't make an app either but they have a well designed mobile website that works just as good.
Oh no! This cannot be! You mean to tell me that Apple products have issues too? I thought they were the greatest thing since sliced bread!

jgraves1107

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Hey I locked every iPhone from the 4s to the 5s up! I mean dfu mode was the only way to get it working again. Now what ever Nokia manually pushed to my 928 fixed my lockup issue. I am sure Microsoft could make apps standard to that of android and IOS easy. The sad thing is its the apps most used we are not getting. If I had the time to learn development of app making in WP I would do it. I did pay for it. Just to get gdr3. I just don't have the time to sit and learn this from scratch. Now if someone tells me a 42yo man can learn it easy, then point me to what I need and I will make apps just cuz I want it and someone else wants it!

Kieta

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Hey I locked every iPhone from the 4s to the 5s up! I mean dfu mode was the only way to get it working again. Now what ever Nokia manually pushed to my 928 fixed my lockup issue. I am sure Microsoft could make apps standard to that of android and IOS easy. The sad thing is its the apps most used we are not getting. If I had the time to learn development of app making in WP I would do it. I did pay for it. Just to get gdr3. I just don't have the time to sit and learn this from scratch. Now if someone tells me a 42yo man can learn it easy, then point me to what I need and I will make apps just cuz I want it and someone else wants it!

And what most used apps are not currently on WP?

jgraves1107

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Well one I need is my bank app. There are some apps like viggle, some apps that my wife uses to make money. Not sure of the name of that one. I mean most of the apps WP gets are repeats of the same junk. We need the big apps that seem to only appear on IOS and android. This WP could be bigger than this and should be by now. Medscape is one I use. There are apps for me to login on IOS and android so I don't have to sit and wait for my doctor, I can just login and ask for my refill and he sends it right over. It's apps like these that I miss. I mean if google made a YouTube app for WP and said it cost $5 I would buy it as long as it had the functions it should have. Sad I know, YouTube of all things. They could make money and don't. Look at Samsung and what they pulled to get google's attention. Tell me there are not apps on android and IOS you want on your WP. I dumped my iPad for a dell venue 8 pro because it does everything my desktop does. The Facebook app sucks on WP, I miss a lot of stuff that doesn't show on the app. I have to look at the tablet to see what's missing. I am seriously thinking of getting a galaxy note 3 because of the lack of a usable app. But at the same time I just wonder if its this addiction to toys!! My 928 lacks so little it just ain't funny. I mean little things I miss and want, need, you know certain things it should do and Microsoft just sits and plays dumb. I should be able to add one lousy song to my playlist and they can't get that right. I'm being too picky aren't I? Maybe I should just get it and be done with it. Carry both phones since I have an extra line.

Kieta

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I don't know. I have every app I need. Hell, I still have over 15GB of free space on my 928. The only thing missing when I got my 920 was Instagram and 6tag soon came out shortly thereafter. I use MyTube which is a better app for me than the official Youtube app. I have an Android tablet so I still use all OS's. And with FB, it's just the way they set up news feed depending on device. I can log into WP, Android, Vita and Windows 8 at the same time and they will all display different news feeds. I love my 928 and can't see going back to Android or iPhone for a phone anytime soon. But hey, that's just me.

Zippier

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Well one I need is my bank app. There are some apps like viggle, some apps that my wife uses to make money. Not sure of the name of that one.

For any app that has a mobile website you can use WebApps or WizTiles. It allows you to create a tile (WizTiles allows you to create a front and back image so it flips like a live tile) to place on your start screen. I know it's basically pinning a favorite web page to the start screen but it's still pretty nice. In many cases I've found that the mobile website is better than the apps on other platforms. For example my bank's mobile website and MotorTrend's mobile website are much smoother than the iOS apps. Of course, my local grocer has a mobile app for iOS and Android that rocks compared to their mobile site, but it does in a pinch.

That said, they look so nice on my start screen most people don't even know there's not an official app.

Anyway, just trying to help. If it doesn't work for you that's cool.

Last edited:

jgraves1107

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
For any app that has a mobile website you can use WebApps or WizTiles. It allows you to create a tile (WizTiles allows you to create a front and back image so it flips like a live tile) to place on your start screen. I know it's basically pinning a favorite web page to the start screen but it's still pretty nice. In many cases I've found that the mobile website is better than the apps on other platforms. For example my bank's mobile website and MotorTrend's mobile website are much smoother than the iOS apps. Of course, my local grocer has a mobile app for iOS and Android that rocks compared to their mobile site, but it does in a pinch.

That said, they look so nice on my start screen most people don't even know there's not an official app.

Anyway, just trying to help. If it doesn't work for you that's cool.

Oh yay you made me remember! I hate my disease. I keep forgetting the easy no brainer things. Thank you for pointing that out! Now I want a galaxy note 3 a whole lot less.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05