1820, 1520v & Normandy BUT no Icon?

Jeffrey Fox

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Plus the Icon is a variant specific to one USA carrier, so that's not the kind of thing they'd talk about at an international show. I believe we went through this same disappointment and discussion with the Lumia 928 on Verizon and it's not being "announced" at Mobile World Congress that year.

Last edited:

Jeffrey Fox

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Have we even seen anything new from Nokia that resembles these come through FCC testing? I think Samsung's next Windows Phone was recently discovered in some FCC documentation wasn't it?

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Jeffrey, it passed through the FCC last September. Which means that something most likely didn't pass during network testing and had to be corrected.

Jeffrey Fox

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Sorry, I was referring to the 1820, 1520v, and 1525 phones. I wasn't clear enough there, I already knew in my head that we'd seen the info for the Icon. We've seen plenty of pictures of this Normandy phone, no question that the thing exists in a lab somewhere.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Sorry, I was referring to the 1820, 1520v, and 1525 phones. I wasn't clear enough there, I already knew in my head that we'd seen the info for the Icon. We've seen plenty of pictures of this Normandy phone, no question that the thing exists in a lab somewhere.
No new WP devices at MWC.

Icon will be released before then.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
I guess no new WP devices before WP8.1, so presentation of new devices in May ? BTW, this Normandy doesn't look bad at all.
Normandy is definitely happening with a Nokia Store on board too at MWC.

But yeah, no new WP devices at MWC. No 8.1 devices before Build and my guess, not even at Build.

Like usual, when Nokia (Microsoft) is ready to announce, they will hold a separate press conference for maximum media impact. If you notice, MS likes to keep a steady trail of "things in the news" for WP as opposed to announcing everything at once, then going silent for weeks/months before release.

The way I see it unfolding:

• [*=1]February/March - 8.1 tease at MWC
    [*=1]April - 8.1 in full at Build
    [*=1]May - New Lumias announced
    [*=1]June - New Lumia release
    [*=1]July - 8.1 commercial update

I'll dig deeper to confirm some of that.

Recently, Nokia announces devices about 6 weeks out with pretty firm release-windows to carriers. They do that to avoid the 920 fiasco of announcing with "soon".

gbhhbg

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
Same post I've put in the other "why no icon yet" threads: Get serious guys...it is probably just a business issue- they still have inventory of 928s on hand to first unload. It is probably just that simple.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
What is the point of Normandy? Seems extremely stupid. I thought this was some kind of ex-project that got dumped, but now it's sounding more and more real. They are already selling the Lumia 520 at the low end. Why do they need to sell an Android phone? Nokia/Microsoft are acting like they don't have faith in Windows Phone. Stop investing in building a super skinned android phone and put those people to work on improving windows phones!!

Iain_S

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
its already pretty much confirmed that wp8.1 will rtm in early march, with dev being able to get it sometime later in march and consumer release in april, so you probably will see new wp8.1 devices at build. Look to see devices being available in april/may, not july.

DennisvdG

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm hoping for the 930, same design as 920 except slimmer, thinner bezels, sd slot, s800, 2gb ram, 1080p, 5", this would be amazing

I would love for my next phone to have the s805 but it's obvious that we won't get that with 8.1 sadly

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss