Switching from iphone to Lumia 1020 - weird issue

Mike_J

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I convinced a friend to move from the iPhone world to WP8 - he loved my Lumia 1020 photo's.
Anyhow he purchased the Lumia 1020 - loves the phone but has a weird iPhone legacy issue - all his friend now when they text him with their iPhone's their phone use imessage to send the text message as their phones think they are sending to an apple iPhone. He can send them a text message but when they reply he does not receive anything as their text are sent as an imessage.

All his friends are telling him it is an issue with his phone and he should just go back to an iPhone - he wants to stick to the Lumia 1020

Anyone else come across this issue and how do you tell people to fix how he is save in their phone?

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
If he still has an iOS device with iMessage, I think he can go into the iMessage settings and chose, "Let people contact me at..." an simply remove his phone number from the options. I haven't used an iOS device in awhile, but I'm 72% it's that easy. Have him try it and see how it goes.

mixxxk

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Try telling the people with the iPhone to delete the message threads from ur pal with the 1020, cuz if the thread started with the iPhone and now coming from a 1020, the iPhone may still try to use imessage.

Matt Bee

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
If he still has his iPhone tell him to power it on, connect it to WIFI, and go to his settings, messages, and turn off iMessages with the toggle switch. That should take care of it :)

SKMitchell

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
This isn't an issue with the S4. It's a well documented problem on Apple's end. Some backstory is documented here on Mashable:
Will Apple Ever Fix the iMessage Text-Killing Problem?

If you research for fixes on Google you'll find that people recommend to:

None of these work 100%. Even if your friend does them all, they'll still lose messages to iMessage. I've had first-hand experience with many friends & family (mostly on Galaxy S4s) that haven't been able to completely solve this one. I suppose it couldn't hurt to put in a call to Apple but, seeing as they already lost your friend as a customer, I'm not sure they'd be very responsive.

Kubiubo

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
Ah yeah, I had the same problem when I first switched, I had to reinsert my SIM into the iPhone and turn off iMessage, and then I had to unregister my iPhone through the Apple website. Eventually, in a few hours or so, the problem went away.

Michael Swords

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
I have had this same issue and resolved it following these dame steps. Now everything is great.....EXCEPT for group messaging. Has anyone else noticed that when group messaging with iPhones that this issue pops up again?

I just got a 1020 and my only problem is that I can't receive group messages from my friends because it tries to send to iMessage still. Is this a server-side problem with apple or is there a way to fix/work around this?

Keith Petrovich

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
You need to call apple and have them disconnect his number from that Imessage account. It happened to my girlfriend when she went to android, we couldn't send her messages because our phones thought she had an iphone still. Of course, I dont have an Iphone anymore, I got my sexy 1020 :D

Michael Swords

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
I went through that whole gambit. I send and receive 1 on 1 messages just fine, bit my group messages with iPhones don't come through. Even though my number isn't associated and more kt still tries for iMessage

Michael Swords

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
Just wanted to update. It seems that for most of my contacts, group messaging has started to work. Either something updated server side or I had my friends force the text messages through enough times.

If anyone is still having this problem. Just make sure you let your friends know to be sure to send you text messages until their iPhones recognize your non iPhone. Seems to have worked for me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)