Not a 920

yatman60

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone else noticed their 928 seems a bit fragile compared to the bullet proof 920. My 928 fell on the floor out of my coat pocket and the screen completely shattered. This was the first time ever that it had dropped on anything more than a couch or a bed. Has anyone else experienced this and were you able to get a replacement from Nokia without having to submit an insurance claim?

nwildcat

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I don't find it fragile at all. Mine has fallen on cement in a parking garage once and the only thing hurt was the screen protector and the case, the phone was fine. It just happens sometimes, that's what insurance is for, and if you think the 920 can fall and not have a shattered screen, go look in that forum, it happens. This is as durable as the 920 from what I can tell.

I don't know how in the world you'd get a replacement from Nokia for an accident. I would think they'd replace your phone for a malfunction or some other mechanical failure, but not because of a fall. Make an insurance claim or get the screen fixed on your own.

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
I don't find it fragile at all. Mine has fallen on cement in a parking garage once and the only thing hurt was the screen protector and the case, the phone was fine. It just happens sometimes, that's what insurance is for, and if you think the 920 can fall and not have a shattered screen, go look in that forum, it happens. This is as durable as the 920 from what I can tell.

I don't know how in the world you'd get a replacement from Nokia for an accident. I would think they'd replace your phone for a malfunction or some other mechanical failure, but not because of a fall. Make an insurance claim or get the screen fixed on your own.

You had a case and screen protector though... That's why your phone isn't in pieces. The 928 has some major structural flaws compared to the 920. Sure, both can shatter but the 928 has a lot more structural shortcomings.

wayn1ak

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I think it just has to do with the design of the phone. The Lumia 920 seems to use a lot more plastic which is why it is heavier and thicker. Also, using less plastic in the design of the Lumia 928 is probably why a lot of people complained of creaking in the phone.

MooCoo

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
You could just buy a different kind of phone that woudn't crack into pieces when dropped. Like the one with an "i" in it's name.

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
You could just buy a different kind of phone that woudn't crack into pieces when dropped. Like the one with an "i" in it's name.

You mean the phone that is replaced more than any other and that an estimated 19 percent of users are walking around with a cracked one?

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Yeah you know, the one that actually works most of the time vs. the other junk out there.

iPhones are just as screwy as Windows Phones. We just see Windows Phone issues more because we're at a Windows Phone forum and people who have the issues are just the vocal minority. I haven't seen regular reports of Lumias randomly catching fire or many of the other issues I see on iPhones, not that any of that is what the thread pertains to.

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
iPhones are just as screwy as Windows Phones. We just see Windows Phone issues more because we're at a Windows Phone forum and people who have the issues are just the vocal minority. I haven't seen regular reports of Lumias randomly catching fire or many of the other issues I see on iPhones, not that any of that is what the thread pertains to.

I guess the thread swerved off track with some status symbol post. I guess a more accurate reply to the thread would be until gorilla glass 14 is released, all phones\tablets will have a good chance of breaking the screen when dropped if not in some type of protective case. It's best to be proactive, not reactive.

Gungzwei

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
I've dropped my 928 onto some hard floors from my coat pocket and shirt pocket. Even before I had my case on it. For any device it really matters the angle it's at when it make the impact.

If you need shatter proof glass, you'll have to wait for the transparent aluminum to make it to market...

3earnhardt3

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
*saying this while knocking on wood* mine has fell onto hard laminate flooring from waist high multiple times and doesn't even have a scratch to show for it. (I'm not clumsy, I just have a two year old!) With that said, it does feel more fragile due to the edge to edge glass.

thekeeblerelf

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I've never dropped mine on a hard surface without a case (Poetic Atmosphere), but mine has what appears to be a crack that runs along each corner of the phone. Almost like a stress fracture.

yatman60

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site

I appreciate the "feedback" but one question: If you're so anti-WP, why are you trolling the forums of such an obscure device as the 928 which gets no press compared to other windows phones and none of which are devices that begin with an "I"?

Yes - that was a rhetorical question.

And by and by - I've personally witnessed multiple iPhone 4's and 5's cracking at their first drop.

yatman60

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback guys. Sent Asurion $100 and a replacement is on the way. No idea if it's a refurb or new but in any case, I suppose I can turn around and sell it on ebay for good amount more than the $100 bucks.

I was debating whether to wait for the 929/Icon or pay for the replacement and decided that I can always sell the replacement and still buy the 929 so ......

Xellsama

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Yeah you know, the one that actually works most of the time vs. the other junk out there.

doesn't break and works most of the time? That's more likely to be a Lumia device 920 and above than any of the i-devices. Sorry but truth.

really, drop competition, my 920 vs your igadget, let's go! ;)

KeegdnaB42

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Mine 928 has rolled down a concrete sidewalk on edge and only sustained a few barely noticeable scuffs on the corners. Just leaving that out there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12