Lumia 920 After BLACK: Camera Bugs and Other Issues [BUG REPORT] [POLL]

Sangeeth Sudheer

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
[INFO]Please don't close this thread for reasons that there existed other threads with the same issue. Only one such thread exists but its more like a general thread and it doesn't just focus on the issues but also about opinions on updates. I've tried the best do distinguish this thread from the rest and hence, its a request.[/INFO]
So, my Lumia 920 in India got the Black update about a week before and I as obvious as anyone else updated it right then. While I enjoyed the still beta Nokia StoryTeller and the charming Nokia Beamer apps, there were stuff I was left totally disappointed and frustrated with. The main reason being the camera which was the outstanding feature of this ex-flagship. Today, I thought myself to compile all the known bugs I've known from Amber to Black and see if anyone else has the same thing happening in their L920s.

1. Camera Bug -- Photos getting blurred and tinted with yellow/green hue [ORIGIN: AMBER] [BLACK STATUS: EXISTS]

This is the most common bug that's existing within the Lumia 920s (and some other Lumias too) since Amber. As mentioned, the photos look blurry and the colours are not at all natural in the saved photo. This was first encountered in Amber and I since started collecting samples from the camera roll and took screenshots of the preview to prove the problem in post-processing. Since then, I tried posting numerous threads and contacting Nokia but failed. However, I was glad to find more people having the same problem and from the photo samples, its very clear.

sample1.jpg
sample2.jpg
sample3.jpg
sample4.jpg

Later in Nokia Camera, Nokia made sure that the preview lasted for lesser time (I don't know if they did that purportedly to hide the bug) and made it all in a way that people won't notice any differences in the preview scope and in the final saved image. While I thought it fixed the issue, I found that it was just a veil to hide the existing problems and this didn't please me at all. And now, in Black, hopes were destroyed again as the bug sprouted again to a more massive scale. I don't know why some people call it a "yellow" tint but it was pale green and blurs all the way from the beginning for me.

There's also one thing that I noted. I tried many different camera apps and almost all showed the same result. But with 6tag, I'm not so sure whether it reproduces the same problem. So far, I haven't found any notable differences in the preview and in the saved image and so far, the pics all look good. I don't know if its me or I don't know if 6tag uses some different camera technique but I need to know whether it exists for all camera apps or for the main ones only. I'll update more on that later.

[INFO]Update #1: Added more photo comparisons that show the decrease in clarity and color to a greater extent. I am not sure whether this'll be enough for all to finally acknowledge this issue. How I miss the good old days. :( [/INFO]
2. Increasing/Decreasing Volume Fail to Work [ORIGIN: AMBER] [BLACK STATUS: YET TO CONFIRM]

This was a rather unexpected bug that frustrated me a lot. I often found that volume increase and decrease doesn't work even though the levels are clearly being changed. Number increase and decrease doesn't affect the actual volume.

I first passed this as a problem with Nokia Music files as they were always weird to me due to their low sizes and improper working in WMP but I later found that it occured whilst playing a video too.

I don't know whether this has been fixed in GDR+BLACK as so far, there hasn't been a problem. If anyone still has this, please comment.

3. Screen getting Posterized (like Glance) on Waking for a few seconds [ORIGIN: AMBER] [BLACK STATUS: EXISTS]

Yet another random bug. I happened to see this after using Glance. On waking the phone (at oddly rare moments), the screen gets sort of posterized or over-coloured just like Glance and everything goes slow like the swipes and it lasts for about 5 seconds and then goes back to normal. This was really weird for me and once I tried to take a screenshot and found that the screenshot was perfect and had no problems even though the screen was displaying the posterized version.

So far, I haven't seen it yet. Maybe they fixed it after BLACK as it could be associated with Glance. Again, let me know if this still exists.

[NOTE]Update #1: I have recently noted whilst I was unlocking my device by double tapping on the screen, it happened as the lockscreen got over-rendered and colorized and everything went slow like sliding to top to unlock but it lasted for just a few seconds and all was normal. Again, taking screenshots didn't do any good as the lockscreen was perfect in screenshots.[/NOTE]

4. Music+Videos shows error when playing Music the first time [ORIGIN: PORTICO] [BLACK STATUS: EXISTS]

This is not as troublesome as the rest but I thought I should mention this as well. Again, at random moments, especially when you are switching the device on and then going to music+videos to play a song, it first shows an error and I have to go back and play it again to start. It happens for the first-times mainly and later at random moments. But as soon as you go back and tap the same song again, it plays. This happens whatever order in which I try to play the music -- whether its from the new list or history or directly after searching for it in the full list.

I thought I should report this as well. It's a bug after all as the music will eventually play. Next time, I will take the screenshot and post it.

These are the only known [major] bugs I've experienced. Some of these looks fixed while some clearly remains a pain in the *** for me. Clearly, the Lumia 920 is a superb phone but the apparent bugs are killing it.

If you have any other bug to report, please do so here so that we can confirm its existence and atleast make WPCentral and Nokia reps and other communities raise these issues.

Last edited:

MrWhiteman

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
In response to your 'Update 1' my L920 did that with Amber especially if I locked the phone while playing a game

Below is a comparison: The left picture is Black and the Right is Amber. Even Amber had the tint and with Black it's worse.

Attachments

• compare.jpg
    compare.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 21

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Your Update #1; I have that too. It reminds me of having an issue with an old computer monitor.

I get that on my AT&T 920 that is obviously still on Amber...and I have for a while. Maybe once/twice a month at most though. I feel like it is caused by me trying to manipulate something on the screen at the same instance it is going into sleep mode.

Sangeeth Sudheer

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Your Update #1; I have that too. It reminds me of having an issue with an old computer monitor.

I get that on my AT&T 920 that is obviously still on Amber...and I have for a while. Maybe once/twice a month at most though. I feel like it is caused by me trying to manipulate something on the screen at the same instance it is going into sleep mode.

Exactly! That could be the reason. As if we were trying to do something, the 'Glance Screen' (yes, not the lock-screen I suppose) must be about to activate or do something and the result is the lockscreen on your Glance. It sort of looks like that as Glance often has images like poster designs or cartoons and the exact thing happens when the bug gets triggered. Like it were the image of my Glance Screen and suddenly, the whole lockscreen became the Glance screen. We definitely need an answer for this. I don't want that and neither does anybody.

angy ortiz

Banned
Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
well my only problem is the screen getting posterized. Iam on amber and fortunately no problems with the camera. Make sure you are not using a cover for your phone when taking pictures.

Sangeeth Sudheer

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Glad to hear its not just me who's having these weird issues. I'll try to dig for more.

Yeah, with black it got really worse. The GDR3 Preview apparently showed better results than Amber but the issue was there. I was hoping it would get better with Black but the exact opposite happened.

Sangeeth Sudheer

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
well my only problem is the screen getting posterized. Iam on amber and fortunately no problems with the camera. Make sure you are not using a cover for your phone when taking pictures.

You sure you are not having any issues? What camera app are you using? And have you tried to compare the screenshot of the preview when you take a picture with the original picture saved onto your phone? If all is well, you are lucky. And that means the problem is related with regional updates which is not likely to be happening. And yeah, I haven't used any covers for my phones and that's definitely not the issue and even if there was a cover, the preview should match the original, right?

ktl88

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
I have all three issues on my Nokia Lumia 920 running the Black firmware. I too am from India.
Just as you've mentioned, all three problems appeared from the Amber update and still persist in the Black update, including the problem #2 of the increasing/decreasing audio.
This really sucks. I hope at least this time, Nokia comes up with a proper fix for all three issues, and don't bring in new issues with the next update.

I also have the random screen flicker issue. But I believe that has nothing got to do with software/firmware, but a hardware problem.

alpha beta gaga

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
please, can you post some pics before and after camera postprocessing ? (if you don't have the camera bug you are the first that I see ;-) )
this is a poll. the whole prove this or that with your screenshots nonsense was done to death on a previous thread. that thread is now closed.

alpha beta gaga
freemind
h_portal
James8561
Lukas Jankauskas
yehuda92

have all voted 'my Lumia 920's camera is okay'

please stop trying to find 'issues' with users when they have said they have none. if a user says they have no issue, then they have no issue.

AuraTigital

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I've also got the volume bug, I tried soft reseting and it solved the issue temporary, only to happen again a few hours later, really frustrating. I'm also terribly disappointed with the post processing of the photos, as I love taking photos.

Senad Klepic

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
OFF:There are SS from Portico, the quality isn't " brilliant " yellowish was presented also back then, "sharpness" isn't also much better. So just stop claiming that its better ( i think you were the one who said it sushi "If you make a statement give me the profs" so we wait).
OT:Only thing i got with black (if we think about bugs) its from time to time slow performance.

supershi80

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
if a user says they have no issue, then they have no issue.

Incredible this affirmation.... you don't want use your mind.... I only try to understand if there is someone that doesn't have the camera issue and, if yes (and I hope that succeed), understand what parameters contribute to solve it.

Please, take the time to use your mind ;-)

supershi80

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
OFF:There are SS from Portico, the quality isn't " brilliant " yellowish was presented also back then, "sharpness" isn't also much better. So just stop claiming that its better ( i think you were the one who said it sushi "If you make a statement give me the profs" so we wait).

Right, prove what you say ;-)

see also: http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-920/253650-lumia-920-amber-portico-rom.html

Last edited:

Senad Klepic

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
I can link you the pictures taken from Review L1520 vs L920 (where is stated that the quality is on par with the L1520 except in zoom :) so for you L1520 is crap also), again you don't prove anything some user took random pictures and you link me :). You never proved anything just stated that Portico is the Father while other updates are kids.
Wanna proof like yours :)? Sure bottom, portico sharpness is the same :).
http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-920/258727-8.htm

supershi80

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
I can link you the pictures taken from Review L1520 vs L920 (where is stated that the quality is on par with the L1520 except in zoom :) so for you L1520 is crap also), again you don't prove anything some user took random pictures and you link me :). You never proved anything just stated that Portico is the Father while other updates are kids.
Wanna proof like yours :)? Sure bottom, portico sharpness is the same :).
http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-920/258727-8.htm

920 with Portico VS 925 with Amber, who is the winner ?

Lumia 920 vs. Lumia 925 Low Light Camera Test | Nokia Revolution

Obviously the 920 with Portico ;-)

And this is the conclusion:
"The Lumia 925 shows great image quality but its more yellowish that affects the depth of image. As you can see, the 920 adds more contrast on each shots, makes the image quality more defined and crisper"

Every time I show you (with images or prof reviews) elements that demostrate that Amber (and Black) is the cause of this biggest camera issue and the only good workaround just now is to return to Portico

(if you talk without any proof I think perhaps that is a waste of time to continues to talk about this..... :-| )

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb